Punatalk
Punatalk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Donate
 All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 Building a 40' geodesic dome out of wood

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ProjectDomecile Posted - 11/22/2018 : 16:41:16
So, I'm starting to understand how crazy the local permitting system is.

I want to build a ~1200 square foot geodesic dome (40' diameter, 16' peak roof height), probably in the Kalapana Gardens neighborhood. I've decided to wait on buying the land until I understand what neighborhoods will tolerate a non-traditional building shape.

I'm going to be building the dome from scratch (not from a kit); I've built several domes in the past but this will be the biggest I've tried. If everything works out, this will be my permanent residence.

It looks like trying to get it permitted will be an absolute nightmare; how will that nightmare compare to just getting it built, and then begging forgiveness/permitting-after-the-fact if a neighbor complains? And how likely are those complaints to happen, out on the lava moonscape?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kalakoa Posted - 01/10/2019 : 11:17:49
A 5-gallon bucket is about 1.5 bags of quickrete ($7.40 x 1.5 = $11.10).

The 100-foot coil of 16-ga Simpson 16ga strap is about $1/foot; a 3-foot piece bent into a U would make a nice 2-strap. I looped some old coat hanger wire through the bottom of the U to make it anchor nicely.

Yes, it's more work than having them delivered, but it gets even cheaper if you mix your own concrete. I'm told the diesel makes a nice release agent (spray the inside of the bucket before you pour).

Miscellany: I recently got a load of lumber delivered from HPM, and the quality is indeed much better than Home Depot or Honsador. Beams were mostly #1, a few were even SEL STR, everything clean and straight. Going to try Argus for the next project.
ProjectDomecile Posted - 01/10/2019 : 10:48:23
Welp, that answers that.
Obie Posted - 01/04/2019 : 11:39:56
I was in HPM yesterday.They are $53.99 there.
ProjectDomecile Posted - 12/22/2018 : 11:20:21
Well that sucks. And Home Depot's going to be the cheapest?
Obie Posted - 12/22/2018 : 09:35:27
Home Depot $40.00 each.

Used ones would be useless because the straps rust in Hawaii.
ProjectDomecile Posted - 12/21/2018 : 11:31:07
So, where's a good place to get 16" concrete pier blocks? I'm gonna need about 25. Do they ever get recycled from older demolished buildings?
Rob Tucker Posted - 12/16/2018 : 17:17:07
HPM racks its lumber outside in the rain. Take a spin through their yard.
ProjectDomecile Posted - 12/16/2018 : 16:54:39
It's also possible that the Home Depot stuff sits around soaking up moisture longer?
Seeb Posted - 12/16/2018 : 16:40:33
Then they give them the junk, you can spend hours digging thru Home Depot lumber to find straight pieces. The HPM yard in Shipman is way better
Rob Tucker Posted - 12/16/2018 : 16:29:06
I don't know this for a fact but it was my understanding that Home Depot gets it's lumber supplies from HPM and/or Honsador.
ProjectDomecile Posted - 12/16/2018 : 09:21:51
Huh. I just got a substantial windfall, so it looks like I can afford to build in Seaview instead of Kalapana. This should be... interesting.

If the neighbors can handle a giant castle, surely they'll be chill with a moderately-sized dome?
ProjectDomecile Posted - 12/15/2018 : 14:04:28
Yeah, all of that is a big win for me. I was expecting to hold my nose and give my money to the big chain, but HPM seems amazing.

Maybe after I've built, I'll go apply for a job there in Keaau to keep busy. :)
Lolo Posted - 12/15/2018 : 13:46:00

I bought all my materials for a 10 X 12 shed from them, including metal roofing and they invited me to watch the metal being formed. Pretty cool. They also have a great power tool sale, pretty nice raffles and community activities. And no, I just have had good experience with them and as far as I know they are locally owned.
ProjectDomecile Posted - 12/15/2018 : 11:25:46
Huh. Talked to HPM today; their quote for lumber, plus delivery, was only $500 more than Home Depot's.

Mahalo nui for the recommendation! It looks like I found a winner.
ProjectDomecile Posted - 12/14/2018 : 20:35:21
Heh. Yeah, although having worked with EPDM when I made my koi pond back in Berkeley, I gotta say 'no thank you'.

Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page