Punatalk
Punatalk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Donate
 All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 IECC standards

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Thronester Posted - 08/13/2019 : 10:48:06

Iím told the 2015 energy code will now apply to new construction beginning Thursday. I believe insulation will now be required not only in walls but under the floor in raised floor construction as well as ceilings, which may be tricky for any open beam ceilings https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IECC2015/iecc-residential-provisions?site_type=public
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dobanion Posted - 01/22/2020 : 11:07:33
I haven't used them YET, just got a quote from them.

I still need to get structural engineering done, then architect, which will give me construction drawings. That's what they need to be able to run the numbers.

The name of the outfit I found was JKP Energy. They are in Arizona. They state they can do the comparison and issue me a certificate comparing energy usage of my proposed structure vs the reference design.
Thronester Posted - 01/22/2020 : 10:07:37
What engineering firm did you use?
dobanion Posted - 01/17/2020 : 06:25:49
FYI, I found a engineering outfit that can do the comparison rather affordably, once you have construction drawings for the proposed design. Moving that way now. Shape is about finalized, structural engineering is gonna start soon.
dobanion Posted - 01/13/2020 : 13:15:16
To bring this discussion back up, and pertaining to what I'd like to accomplish...Ö

I still want to build a thin shell concrete structure, and do so WITHOUT using any insulation. Plans are also for a very reflective surface (90%+). I think I have a path forward, which could very well apply to others.

Structurally, the county has recently approved a dome, in April 2018. However, this was just before they started enforcing IECC requirements. The dome in question does not contain any insulation of any kind. It's 5" thick of concrete with steel rebar.

For IECC, read up on "Simulated Performance Alternative." On first reading you will be intimidated by it a bit, but keep going. The gist is simple, compare your proposed home to their "reference design," and have a engineering firm do the calculations that show your design will not use any more electricity in a year than the reference design.

You need to compare fairly. If your proposed design has AC (or heat), so should the reference design. So, if you do NOT desire any climate control beyond opening the windows, the R-value doesn't really play into energy usage at all, does it?

Stay tuned, work in progress.

1voyager1 Posted - 11/03/2019 : 01:37:53
Went to town the other day to get some OSB board for a shed foundation/floor.
Couldn't find any at HD.
All they show on their website is a reflective coated OSB for roof sheeting and a T1-11 looking OSB for siding.

I do not Know for certain, but looking around on the web, I came up with the feeling that the new energy requirements are the reason.

Maybe OSB sheeting for roofing and siding is being phased out?
dobanion Posted - 11/01/2019 : 23:40:36
No air conditioned space. Lot's of ventilation.

Yes, gonna have fully engineered plans submitted. I hope to be able to build more of these in the future. I'm betting I won't be the only one who wants one.

I got a place to live while I wait for the county.

I went through a ton of the calculations, and found if I can get acceptance of the true reflectiveness of some of the more expensive roof paints (ie, 90% reflective), it should pass without any insulation.

Yeah, I should talk with Peter (again) sometime. Things have evolved since last time I did this.
kalakoa Posted - 10/31/2019 : 17:47:02
will need a dome Architect / engineer

One licensed by the State of Hawaii. Most likely they will be on Oahu, so there will be additional time/expense to ship your original plans back and forth.

Yes, a concrete dome sounds really cool, but it's not going to be of much practical value if you spend all your time/money fighting the permitting process instead of actually living in it.
Seeb Posted - 10/31/2019 : 16:15:19
If it is going to be conditioned space ( have AC ) itís going to need insulation. You will need a dome Architect / engineer to do the math.
Submit your plans early as can, expect it to take a long time
Tink Posted - 10/31/2019 : 10:14:58
Kalakoa's comments are very true, seeing it is of "alternate methods of construction". Hell, they can't even plan check standard construction! Get stamped engineering drawings and calculations, preferably a local engineer, and it might, I repeat might get things approved faster. May want to consult our "Gunite King" Mr. Peter Epperson as your consultant.
kalakoa Posted - 10/31/2019 : 09:13:12
submit the plans in the next year

That's more realistic. Just don't expect the plans to be approved in the next year and you'll be fine. Hopefully you can afford to live somewhere else for the duration. Good luck.
dobanion Posted - 10/31/2019 : 05:47:22
Just bumping this a bit. Mostly because I have intention of building a concrete dome shell structure TO CODE and PERMITTED within the next year. Or at least, submit the plans in the next year. And the question of having to include insulation is a big one.

I think my initial approach is to spec it without insulation but with a reflective exterior coating, and see what they say......
terracore Posted - 09/22/2019 : 11:17:02
Your window should have a warranty against leaking causing the film you describe. Typical window warranties vary between 5 years to "limited lifetime". The double paned windows block most of the coqui noise and that enough makes them worth it to me.

twofeet Posted - 09/22/2019 : 09:54:07
Built a small house in Hawaiian acres, and put in one those double paned windows. Within a couple of years with all the humidity there, moisture collected in between the glass. It was still letting light thru, but couldn't see out of it very well. It looked bad too.
kalakoa Posted - 09/04/2019 : 18:11:51
People need to be able to afford their homes.

Which need is not the concern of government. If it were, they would approve more housing. This problem is not unique to Hawaii.

I don't think the public version...

Exactly correct. Different rules apply to different people for different reasons, and most of the rule books aren't published. Nobody dares complain for fear of retaliation, which fact has even been reported in the newspaper.

protecting the public from unscrupulous builders or building practices

Building Department has been known to lack scruples, how do you protect the public from that?
YurtGirl Posted - 09/04/2019 : 14:48:44
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

It is the opposite of what they claim to try to be accomplishing.

Stricter building code requirements are intended to create jobs and boost the value of existing real estate.

People need to be able to afford their homes. I don't think the public version of the Building Department or IBC's mission statement is to create jobs or boost property values. They are supposed to be about protecting the public from unscrupulous builders or building practices.

Melissa Fletcher

Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page