Punatalk
Punatalk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Donate
 All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 lava viewing platform (in a few months)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kalakoa Posted - 10/03/2018 : 08:31:32
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/10/03/hawaii-news/administration-updates-county-council-members-on-plans-for-lava-viewing-platform/

"Managing expectations" will be key to the success of a public-private partnership to create a lava viewing area now that the lava flow in lower Puna has subsided.
"A few weeks into the event, the mayor said we need to share the majesties of this historic geologic event," said county Research and Development Director Diane Ley, adding the hoped-for outcome is a "managed viewing site that is respectful of adjacent properties and residences, respectful of our environment … and provide(s) opportunities to businesses within and outside Pahoa."
The plan includes county-contracted shuttle buses to ferry passengers from a parking lot in downtown Pahoa to a cultural center at a location know as "the Hub," across from Pahoa High and Intermediate School. The center, on property owned by Gilbert Aguinaldo, would feature exhibits, a movie theater, eateries, a gift shop and cultural displays to educate the public. It would rent space out to nonprofits.

Whenever I see the phrase "public-private partnership", I automatically think "well-connected business gets free public subsidy". In this case, the "cultural center" requries permits (and probably a rezoning), after which our taxes will subsidize some tourbuses.

Under "tourism theory", it all trickles-down into our economy, right? Mostly to Oahu, but we still get a few pennies.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lolo Posted - 10/07/2018 : 10:32:57
Well, then the County Council can claim they actually did something in addition to raising the gas tax, raising their own salaries, raising the GET tax, and now the next round of County/State union salary negotiations. Way to go.
PaulW Posted - 10/07/2018 : 09:46:03
By the time the platform is finished maybe the lava will be back.
kimo wires Posted - 10/07/2018 : 09:42:51
I wonder how long it will take for word to get out that 'Viewing Lava' at the Y is a waste of time for tourists. How is it going to be any different than Looking at the Lava at Kalapana?
kalakoa Posted - 10/05/2018 : 13:17:24
private subdivisions should make gated communities instead

Isn't Leilani attempting exactly this?

kander Posted - 10/05/2018 : 12:56:41
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

No different than County deciding to use "private" Road 8 in Hawaiian Acres for their "Emergency Access Route".

Government doesn't need to honor its own rules or respect the rights of others.

Then the private subdivisions should make gated communities instead of allowing everyone right of way. We all know how popular that would be. It might force the county to condemn the roads and be forced to maintain them. Naww, who am I kidding.. not in Hawaii county.
ironyak Posted - 10/05/2018 : 12:54:35
kander - Either side of the road by the Y or on Pohoiki is private

The land immediately at or before the Y is state land. This is where the area makai of 132 was cleared to prep for the lava viewing before.
http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/hi_hawaii_display.php?county=hi_hawaii&KEY=140010040000

As for Leilani Ave, you guys still want it (and the costs to clear the lava and maintain it)?
HereOnThePrimalEdge Posted - 10/05/2018 : 12:49:54

Its the only circumstance under which they operate with prompt efficiency.
kalakoa Posted - 10/05/2018 : 12:42:58
we all should have known that the county was going to use private land for their viewing platform

No different than County deciding to use "private" Road 8 in Hawaiian Acres for their "Emergency Access Route".

kander Posted - 10/05/2018 : 12:39:20
My road off my property was not private, it is public. Maintained by the county. But the property adjacent to each side of those roads is private. Which brings us to the point that the lava viewing area will be as they say down by the Y on Pohoiki. Hence tourists will be tramping all over the place to see the lava on private property if they divert from Pohoiki road.
Either side of the road by the Y or on Pohoiki is private. Hence the cute reply to your statement thinking that we all should have known that the county was going to use private land for their viewing platform.
kalakoa Posted - 10/05/2018 : 10:58:06
Cute.

That's one word for it.

Search these forums and you'll see the same sentiment repeated often, especially as regards the "privately owned (but open to the public)" roads. Apparently, anyone living in the country needs to "perform own due diligence" when opting for "cheap land and low taxes".

When it turns out that your subdivision roads are both not maintained and cannot be closed to the public, well ... you should have thought of that before you moved there. Usually someone from one of the better subdivisions chimes in with "well we have nice roads because we paid for them", and of course there's the HPP "paying mandatory dues and not getting any road maintenance".

I used to think the roads should all be real public roads, but then look around downtown Hilo to see what that gets you. Gee, I wonder where all the money went?
HereOnThePrimalEdge Posted - 10/05/2018 : 10:56:38
As one of the private owners...

Own land in Hawaii County!
Youll have all the rights and privileges of a tourist who pays an entry fee to look at your property! But thats not all! You too are entitled to pay the same price of admission, then herded into a viewing area where you can proudly point out to Joe B. from Rockford, Illinois, see that lava there? Thats mine! No not there, a little to the left, yes, thats it!
kander Posted - 10/05/2018 : 10:44:15
Cute.
kalakoa Posted - 10/05/2018 : 10:04:05
As one of the private owners, I am not pleased.

That's too bad, you should have thought of that before you moved there.

kander Posted - 10/05/2018 : 09:33:42
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

More of that "privately owned but open to the public" BS.

As one of the private owners, I am not pleased.
dan d Posted - 10/05/2018 : 07:59:47
Pave paradise, put up a parking lot

Dan D
HPP

Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page