Punatalk
Punatalk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Donate
 All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Puna Events
 Pahoa Roundabout Landscaping

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rene Siracusa Posted - 05/02/2019 : 15:41:39
Malama O Puna and Mainstreet Pahoa Assn are partnering with State DOT - Highways Div., Puna Community Policing, & Youth Challenge to weed, plant and maintain the roundabout, which was getting pretty seedy looking. A community workday has been scheduled for this Saturday, May 4 from 9 am to noon. If you would like to help beautify the entrance to Pahoa and the gateway to Puna makai, put on your best gardening outfit and meet us in front of Subway. If you can't physically attend but would like to support this effort, tax deductible donations will be accepted. Pls make checks payable to Malama O Puna, whose mailing address is POB 1520, Pahoa 96778. You will receive a receipt for the IRS.
mahalo plenty,
Rene
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rene Siracusa Posted - 11/07/2019 : 13:10:48
We were rained out several times in October, so we have some catching up to do. Next group workdays have been set for Saturday, Nov. 16 and 30 from 9 to 11 am.

Wear gardening attire, sturdy shoes, hat,and bring water. Malama O Puna will provide safety vests, gloves, tools and positive re-enforcement (i.e., hugs).

See you then - a hui hou,
Rene
Rene Siracusa Posted - 08/28/2019 : 13:49:35
It's the positive feedback and community support that keeps us going. Thanks for providing some of that.

Rene
descodave Posted - 08/27/2019 : 09:36:08
I/We don’t know you, but just wanted to say Thankyou SO much for all of the hard work you (Rene) & other workers are putting into this (we used to do landscape maintenance & it’s ALOT of work - especially in the Tropics because of the amount of weeds & the heat!)! P#257;hoa town could use a little “sprucing up” ! THANKYOU so much!
Rene Siracusa Posted - 08/26/2019 : 12:53:08
SATURDAY, AUGUST 31 from 9 to 11 is the next scheduled group work day. We have more planting to do at the Kalapana sign median.

GOOD NEWS: Malia Ka'awaloa's 9th grade class will be giving back to the community on the 2nd of our two monthly workdays by weeding at the Roundabout on a regular basis. About 10-15 students will take part in this community beautification project. Way to go, kids! and a BIG MAHALO TO YOU!
Rene Siracusa Posted - 08/13/2019 : 11:57:39
This SATURDAY, AUGUST 17th from 9 to 11 is our next Planting Day. We will start working on a different median: the small Kalapana sign one. First we will weed it to prepare for the planting. then Dark red ti will flank the sign, large orange bromeliads will will be planted in the sign center, front and back. And then small almost-black bromeliads will encircle the big orange ones to set them off. If time allows, we will add native silver pohinahina as filler.

Bring your cameras to document our progress and share on Facebook.

See you Saturday. A hui hou,
Rene
Rene Siracusa Posted - 07/31/2019 : 13:02:30
Despite the fact that the roundabout is practically next door to the Pahoa police station and that the cops drive past it many times each day, no one reported that there was damage done except me. So they don't know who the driver was or the insurance company. No way to get reimbursed for the cost of the damages. Shucks.

Good news: Sanford's Cinders has agreed to provide free cinder and/or cinder/soil for the project. Mahalo Sanford's.
Rene Siracusa Posted - 07/26/2019 : 09:50:35
Thanks, Carey -
I'll look into it.

Rene
Carey Posted - 07/25/2019 : 16:10:46
There should be a report on the damage....ask Puna for the report # & keep checking... most of these types of reports go from Puna to Hilo & seem to get lost in Hilo.... unless someone keeps checking....
Rene Siracusa Posted - 07/25/2019 : 12:55:29
The wood chips have been removed from the road and the sign is once again upright. I just purchased replacement pots. Considering rocks. I will start replanting this week. Volunteers?

I don't know if the driver was caught. I left a note for our community policing officer asking if they know who the driver is so that I can contact the insurance company. No response yet.

Carey Posted - 07/25/2019 : 07:22:25
Rene, I as not aware of the damage when I posted...
I do hope that the driver is on the hook for the damage (definitely, if they have insurance, the insurance should cover, if no insurance, maybe a court order..
EightFingers Posted - 07/24/2019 : 11:19:21
Time to plant some big rocks.
Extra points if you make them into planters.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Rene Siracusa Posted - 07/24/2019 : 10:28:52
Mahalo Carey -

With all the plant donations I have run out of table room to root cuttings. Would much appreciate if you could do that for us.

You are probably unaware that on Friday night a driver plowed into the median, jumped the curb, right through the traffic sign (now down and mangled) and destroyed all the plants up to and including the first planter pot with manila palm. We now have to re-do an entire 30 ft area. Auwe!

Rene
Carey Posted - 07/19/2019 : 11:13:31
Rene, with all of the rain recently, our Akia (Wikstroemia uva-ursi) is growing out-of-bounds & needs a trim...
would you want the cuttings? or should I try to root some for you (I am good at rooting, bad at being a plant mommy...)
Rene Siracusa Posted - 07/14/2019 : 15:15:04
STARTING TIME CHANGE FOR GROUP PLANTING DAYS:

Due to the heat and lack of shade, which will be even worse in August, we are changing the times. The two August days announced in the previous entry will start and end one hour earlier than previously:
Start at 9:00 am and end at 11:00 am. Make sure to bring water to avoid hydrothermia and wear a head covering.

We will be planting an assortment of bromeliads and orchids.

a hui hou,
Rene
Rene Siracusa Posted - 07/09/2019 : 12:10:33
To those of you whose calendars fill up early: The group workdays in August will both be on Saturdays - the 17th and the 31st - from 10 am to noon. Mark your calendar and plan on adding to your legacy.

mahalo,
Rene

Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page