Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Farming and Gardening in Puna
 Weed that roots smell like rootbeer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

dayna
Punatic

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  20:09:58  Show Profile  Visit dayna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a weed that my rabbits love.

The roots smell like rootbeer. It is NOT sasafrass.

It's a small weed, with small white flowers. I will get a photo tomorrow. Anyone know what it is?

I would like to confirm it's not toxic.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com

dayna
Punatic

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  20:16:55  Show Profile  Visit dayna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found it:

Polygala paniculata

Does anyone know if it's a good weed or bad weed?

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Go to Top of Page

Carey
Punatic

7055 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  20:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The PIER listing has listed it as an invasive:
http://www.hear.org/pier/species/polygala_paniculata.htm

The plant extracts so have some interesting effects, and may have some very beneficial effects:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16259784
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22077163

So maybe if your bunnies are depressed, it may be a good thing to nimble...just don't encourage it to go to seed!

Edited by - Carey on 02/04/2013 20:42:24
Go to Top of Page

dayna
Punatic

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  20:44:34  Show Profile  Visit dayna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should make a tea of it! LOL I'm going to do some more research. I know it smells soooo good when I weed my garden and I pull those up. :)

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  08:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats a bad weed, not supposed to be here like 20,000 other plants... but its not as bad as some :)

if you want a good native endemic plant to make tea from try Kōʻokoʻolau (Bidens hawaiensis), it grows wild ONLY in Puna and Kau, and the leaves (tea) are good for brewing medicinal tea (all 19 different Hawaiian Bidens are)
Wild Kōʻokoʻolau, and also Mamaki (Pipturus albidus) can be found on the trail down to Secret Beach (between Kehena and Seaview) and are the best 2 plants for tea we have.... both are very easy to grow from seeds or cuttings

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

Edited by - bananahead on 02/05/2013 08:50:01
Go to Top of Page

dayna
Punatic

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  09:07:20  Show Profile  Visit dayna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, they are very attractive plants. I will keep an eye open when I'm on the property looking for them. If I can't find any I'll get some seeds.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  11:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is some info I just looked up on the 2 endemic plants for tea...

Māmaki leaves and fruit are no reported toxicity.
Dried or fresh māmaki leaves are used to make a mild but invigorating and healthy tea and one few commercially available native herbs for consumption. The tea helps with listlessness. Māmaki leaves generally have a more pleasant aroma and taste than koʻokoʻolau. [2] The fresh or dried leaves for mamaki tea have been used to help with many internal disorders such as for the stomach, colon, bladder, liver, and bowels. [3]
Infused leaves can be used in treatment for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, liver problems, depression, bladder problems, bladder infections, and PMS. However, In some people māmaki can cause mild agitation or insomnia. [9]
David Bruce Leonard adds: "A remarkable friend, māmaki has a soothing effect on the nervous system in a similar way to jasmine tea. It works well for irritability or just to decompress after a day in Babylon." [9]

All species of koʻokoʻolau can be brewed as a tonic and each are said to have distinct flavors. Regarding Bidens spp., Isabella Abbott comments that "I find that the roughly half a dozen species common in Hawaiʻi offer two or three slightly different flavors, each a bit more subtle than commercial black tea." [2]

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Go to Top of Page

rainyjim
Punatic

2079 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2013 :  12:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I know a lot of folk who grow the mamaki trees just to make tea for themselves...they claim it is beneficial in preventing diseases for old timers like alzheimers and other old timer stuff.
Go to Top of Page

YurtGirl
Kamaaina

739 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  10:31:23  Show Profile  Visit YurtGirl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was always told that was sassafras! Glad to know better now...

Melissa Fletcher

msrocket
Da Kine

147 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2019 :  18:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found this thread, mahalo. I was told it was sassafras, but sure doesn't look like it in the pictures. It is an easy-spreading weed that I am constantly pulling. Roots do smell good, though.
Go to Top of Page

dayna
Punatic

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  08:42:34  Show Profile  Visit dayna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by msrocket

Just found this thread, mahalo. I was told it was sassafras, but sure doesn't look like it in the pictures. It is an easy-spreading weed that I am constantly pulling. Roots do smell good, though.

Makes weed pulling like scratch and sniff. The goats do like it. I tend to toss it in with them or the chickens.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1703 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2019 :  19:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Want rootbeer smell and flavor? Here's one that is way more intense smelling like rootbeer. Definitely edible, definitely medicinal.

It is also considered an invasive so bananhead will probably have a conniption-fit about propagating it but it's very useful.

Tastes great too raw or cooked leaves. I once had a homemade rootbeer made from sweet tea of this leaf and fermented slightly for carbonation... it was sublime!

https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/food/2012-08-24/hoja-santa/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_auritum

ETA:

The leaves contain an essential oil, saffrole which, when concentrated by scientists and injected into mice in insane levels has been shown to cause cancer. btw Yup, I'll pick this (a plants oil) over man made Roundup. Any day.

Edited by - ElysianWort on 03/25/2019 19:42:20
Go to Top of Page

Radiopeg
Kamaaina

USA
694 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2019 :  09:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a small plant about 6 inches? With tiny leaves and flowers? I don't have a sense of smell, so I can't do a sniff test. The flowers are minuscule, but look like the photos. One almost needs a magnifier to see the detail. Other wise, my weed is something else...

Peace and long life
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2019 :  12:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its Polygala paniculata
considered an invasive weed in Hawaii...

kill it...

Go to Top of Page

laurarice
malihini

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2019 :  07:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elysianwort: "Injected into mice at insane levels' .....that's great. We are kindred spirits.

Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page