Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 PGV plans new well
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 11

Opihikaobob
Kamaaina

USA
641 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2014 :  10:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like a Christmas spoiler timed on Christmas day, at least that's how I see it. The article comes from today's Tribune , where it also adds that they will be drilling 24/7 sometime in January regardless of the County Council's ban on drilling at night passed in 2012.
They claim that a decrease in production on one of their 5 operating production wells necessitates this to bring the mega watts back up to 38.
Same ole same ole for the new year, that would be par for the course for a badly managed Ormat / Halliburton project that invariably has
uncontrolled hazardous releases , that somehow never are considered hazardous,and,remarkably I might add, they are able to measure surface emissions accurately with hand held devices , or on site fixed air monitors,even though they lost power and had no backup generators of their own - a power plant without back up emergency generators for on site emergency monitoring equipment? How amazing, to be able to do this monitoring even in the midst of hurricane force winds or downgraded hurricanes force winds,even when they are short on staff for a well advertised (the hurricanes approach was broadcast for what seemed like weeks before it's arrival) hurricane/tropical storm.

snorkle
Punatic

1453 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2014 :  11:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HELCO has a cool pole and wire tree catching system. They could use it to spread the power throughout the Island!
Go to Top of Page

lavalava
Punatic

Reunion Island
1275 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2014 :  07:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ormat has failed to erect the sound wall they promised over a year ago. Now we have to go sleepless for another month? Time to start some direct action. Non violent civil disobedience is a great tool. Lets blockade the plant and refuse access to their workers until they agree to respect the county ordinance!
Go to Top of Page

kander
Da Kine

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2014 :  11:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lavalava, The only reason they are just going to do what they want is that the county wont enforce their own rules.

Much to our dismay when we get to listen to the clanking of pipe, compressors and other various drilling equipment all night.

Look at it this way, we can take the night shift on punaweb.
Go to Top of Page

Opihikaobob
Kamaaina

USA
641 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2014 :  15:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know the most likely area they might drill? Seems like it would have to be on the existing site - yes?
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12539 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2014 :  18:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hooray for Ag zoning and 70db x 24 x 7!
Go to Top of Page

lavalava
Punatic

Reunion Island
1275 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2014 :  18:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is right next to the other wells. Gonna get loud for awhile... Time to practice my sax!!
Go to Top of Page

CraftyLady

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2014 :  20:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've finally realized that their (PGV) talk about wanting to be a part of the cmmunity is just that - talk. How can someone who's part of the community pull this on us when there's so much stress for us all already. This makes me sick.
Go to Top of Page

JohnDW
Da Kine

410 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  00:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, I think the timing is interesting: right after the announcement of NextEra Energy acquiring HELCO. Maybe Ormat has a different perspective of community? Civil disobedience around PGV would be a great test of Act 111 -- go for it!

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12539 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  08:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadn't considered the NextEra angle, but it did seem strange that PGV would increase production while worrying that their "grid" would be cut by lava flow -- the Island of South Puna doesn't really "need" an extra 8MW.

Of course I leave some blame with County: a special noise limit is a poor substitute for proper R zoning. If the residents of Leilani see fit to sue someone, the money might be better spent rezoning the subdivision, then using that to claim that PGV's industrial use is inappropriate -- probably wouldn't work, but it would help drive the land-use discussion, because "spot zoning" and "pretend ag subdivisions" will keep causing problems like this.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9889 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  08:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem after problem after problem always seem to rest on the County's illegal subdivision of 80,000 lots in Puna.

But they take no responsibility.
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  10:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why don't they just send all the antiPVG complaining neibours on a trip to Barstow or Yuba City?

They do need to drill to get the steam you know... pretend you live next to an airport or in NYC for awhile....

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Go to Top of Page

gypsy69
Punatic

USA
2014 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  11:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So bananahead, you think these anti geo people should be relocated? That's exactly what some of them have been asking for. The process takes years and some of them will not live long enough to see it. It's a crime that they used the relocation fund to build a dump. Now we all know that was a waste of money. Try not to be so hard on people who may have health issues from their geothermal neighbor. They are trying their best and deserve to have a voice and be heard.
Go to Top of Page

leilanidude
Punatic

USA
3652 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  12:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gypsy - your perceived health issues aren't from geothermal, they are from living on an active volcano, in the immediate vicinity of natural steam vents, active lava flows and buring vegetation from those flows.
Go to Top of Page

gypsy69
Punatic

USA
2014 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  13:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Leilani dude my perceived health issues are from the geothermal. My health issues are due to years of exposure. This geothermal plant is dirty and sneaky. They are just a big polluter that could careless about who is affected and only about profit.
Go to Top of Page

Punaperson
Da Kine

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2014 :  14:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gypsy: "This geothermal plant is dirty and sneaky. They are just a big polluter that could careless about who is affected and only about profit. "

So in your view, all the people that work there, people who are our neighbors and part of our community, are willingly and actively poisoning their own families along with everyone else ?

You've written that you are in Leilani. You've mentioned many times how bad the air is where you are, sometimes from geothermal, sometimes vog, sometimes the smoke from this flow. It sounds like you live in an low spot that cups any gas heavier than air that will sink into a hollow, no matter what the source.

I related in an earlier post about looking to purchase property in Leilani during 1979-80, and how the most vile smell I've ever encountered drove me away after a single breath. That was 14 years before geothermal. The real-estate agent called it a "Kapoho fart" (sorry if that come's off as disrespectful - it's her direct quote, not my phrasing ). She said it happened on and off because of the volcano down the road, and that some spots were worse than others depending on way the cracks in the lava run.

Your 'years of exposure' are not in doubt. But the cause of that exposure has a history in Puna much longer than geothermal.

Edited by - Punaperson on 12/27/2014 14:37:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page