Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 The new Naniloa hotel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

TomK
Punatic

USA
7513 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  02:54:26  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, it's only the first evening, but what was a dump has been transformed into something pretty good. I'll post more details in a few days, but so far have been quite impressed. Check-in was much slower than it should be, but, other than that, the room is great and everyone is very friendly. Pam and I had a great time in the bar with some wonderful live music; they even played a request of mine! (White Sandy Beach of Hawai'i - https://youtu.be/R0fQm9OsMcw).

I hope this place turns out to be successful and I think it's off to a good start given first impressions.

Pam says "hello" to everyone here by the way!

gypsy69
Punatic

USA
2014 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  06:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pam.
TomK thank you for sharing your experience.
Do they offer any Kama'aina rates for local residents and how much was it?
Go to Top of Page

PaulW
Punatic

5109 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  07:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom, tried to book the place last week and it was already full! Looking forward to your review; I once stayed there long ago.

Gypsy (you still here?), there are things called phones and internets. Do your homework.
Go to Top of Page

Chas
Da Kine

472 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  20:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7513 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  22:35:10  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All - just one quick note. The current "restaurant" is still buffet service and does not stay open until 10 pm as guests are told, it closes at 9 pm and caught both Pam and I plus lots of other guests by surprise. Kaleo's supply the food. On the other hand, the Naniloa will be opening a new restaurant in a month or so plus a new bar, but it won't be run by Kaleo's, it'll be some company from the mainland. I don't know more any more details than that.

Gypsy - it's not hard to find the info you want. Try this thing called google.

Go to Top of Page

Chas
Da Kine

472 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  02:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gypsy - it's not hard to find the info you want. Try this thing called google.

vs

Yes/No. $XXX

Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7513 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  03:35:03  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chas - I'm not Gypsy's travel agent. What I paid for a room is none of his business. The info about Kamaaina rates is on the hotel's website. Why should I do his research for him? He won't do the same for others.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11110 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  07:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I paid for a room is none of his business.

...and if they didn't get the exact same rate, they would just complain about how wrong you were.
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Punatic

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  09:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAWAII RESIDENTS SAVE UP TO 15%

Choose Grand Naniloa Hotel for your next staycation destination. A great value for an island hoping getaway or visiting your favorite ohana member on the Big Island. Show your Hawaii ID and save up to 15%.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
6744 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  09:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, if your schedule is flexible, September is usually the least expensive month of the year to book a hotel in the islands. Occupancy is low because the summer travel season is over and the kids are back in school, so hotels and resorts run all kinds of Kamaaina specials to attract guests.

Years ago on Maui the Hotel Hana booked rooms for $165 a night in September. The regular rate was $750.

(It's) what the existentialists called "awful freedom" the reinvention of irrationality by marginalized people, just in order to spite science. -Elif Batuman
Go to Top of Page

HI_Someday
Da Kine

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  11:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TomK - glad to hear you had a nice stay. We changed rooms after the first night (wanted a balcony) and while the service was slow - as you mentioned - they were very friendly. We just chalked it up to "Island Time" and enjoyed the view from the lobby.

Speaking of the lobby, we we're starting our bathroom remodel after we got home and were still looking for tile. We really liked the tile they used in the lobby and after talking about it when we got home, decided that's what we wanted. I called the hotel to see if I could get info about it but couldn't find anyone who knew. I ended up searching the internet for news on the hotel remodel and found the construction company doing the work. I called them and after talking to a few people found the manufacturer and tile name. We got it and it was installed a few weeks ago. Every time I look at it now I think about the Big Island and how much we loved it there...

Edited by - HI_Someday on 08/13/2017 11:31:44
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
6744 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  12:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and if they didn't get the exact same rate

It's not just that hotels quote different rates to different people, they also quote different rates depending on:

* day of week
* length of stay
* portal or website you are booking from (trivago, hotels.com, etc)
* whether you're also renting a car, buying a plane ticket.

I once checked rates, went back the next day and they were almost double. I also checked open dates one day, went back the next day and they were entirely different.

I called customer service (not for Naniloa) and spoke with a friendly representative in India who explained it to me like this:
"Sir, many of our customers refer to that as Now You See It, Now You Don't."

So TomK's advice about room rates:
"Why should I do his research for him?"
is the most helpful and accurate response to a question concerning the cost of a hotel room. It takes into account that the rate is different for everyone, it's even different for an individual depending on all the factors I noted above. The only way to get an accurate price in the year 2017 is to call or click yourself.

(It's) what the existentialists called "awful freedom" the reinvention of irrationality by marginalized people, just in order to spite science. -Elif Batuman
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7513 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  13:15:33  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You also have to factor in the type of room you want. In addition, I got the rate I did from a Hilton flash sale so what I paid has no bearing on what someone else would pay today.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7513 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  23:10:03  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HI_Someday - thanks for that. We're actually here for a few more days yet so should get the full experience! So far so good. I learned today that the bar by the reception will remain even after the new restaurant and much larger bar open on the floor below, which is good because it's such a great setting and so far we've had wonderful live music each evening. The current buffet evening food is not great but edible (haven't tried breakfast yet), but it's not the kind of food I'd make a special trip to eat. Hopefully, the new restaurant will be an improvement.

All the staff has been incredibly friendly. I think that's the main reason for the relatively slow service, they're just spending a lot of time being nice to everyone. Can't really complain about that!

We've also spoken to a few people who are regular visitors to Hilo and so far they all say this is by far the best hotel on Banyan Drive now. I agree. The Hilo Hawaiian has some serious competition now.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Lambert

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  07:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stayed here for 8 days in early July. We had a very nice 2 room suite that was plenty spacious. The breakfast buffet was more than adequate, but I agree with Tom that the dinner was just ok. But you are within a beautiful walk to the Hilo Bay Cafe. And there is a decent chicken plate lunch food truck right next door in the Uncle Billy's parking lot.
We were there over Independence Day, and the hotel did a nice BBQ out in the lawn along with cheap draft beer, in addition to activities for the kids. Great place to see the fireworks too!
All in all, a very pleasant experience for us. The hotel is a work in progress, but from what I've been told it's come a long way in the past two years. (Rumor has it the owner has his eyes on the dump next door...) By the way, our suite's number ended in"00", those are the suites with a soaker tub.
We spent a total of 16 days on the Big Island, with the second part staying at one of the Lava Lane cottages in Pahoa.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7513 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  23:44:22  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it's Pam's and my last night at the Naniloa. What can I say? It's been great! We've made so many new friends including the bar staff and the musicians that play in the lobby area each night, in particular, Franz and Shaun (Shawn?). The music and entertainment were wonderful! Zanna and Andrew at the bar were exceptional and so friendly and helpful.

Our room was 400, and as Jim mentioned, it's a suite with a bizarrely placed tub that's half in the bathroom and half in the living area. It took a long time to get used to its location, but the suite itself was fantastic. We did have an A/C problem but it was fixed within a couple of hours of reporting it.

Parking is an issue, especially when there's an event at The Crown, but even then, the security staff found a place for us to park which was near enough for Pam to be able to walk from.

We highly recommend it, and in the next month or so a new restaurant and bar will be finished on the ground floor (with Taylor in charge of making it a success, another friend we made!).

Pam loved her stay which is, of course, the most important thing!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page