Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Puna Politics
 Jen Ruggles, Kanealii-Kleinfelder, and Wirick
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 5

randomq
Punatic

USA
1143 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  17:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: Ruggles drops out of council race

www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/06/25/hawaii-news/ruggles-drops-out-of-council-race/

Jen Ruggles, I see that you are running for re-election (and a 35% raise). What would you say are your biggest accomplishments on county council, and why do you deserve our vote? Would you be willing to answer a few questions here on punaweb?

Edited by - randomq on 06/28/2018 17:50:30

2liveque
Da Kine

491 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  15:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bumping this post to the top. Now that we've seen Jen in action for her first term, what's the word on Jen?

She obviously does not visit this PW forum, as this thread has remained stagnant for a while. I see that Jen was recently at the vendors meeting sitting with the crowd and certainly trying to come through as the "voice of the people."

Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

JohnDW
Da Kine

409 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2018 :  17:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"What would you say are your biggest accomplishments on county council,... "

$70,008/yr plus perks and benefits.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Go to Top of Page

HiloPuna
Da Kine

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  09:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ms. Ruggles withdrew from the Council 5 race on 6/22

She was just getting her legs on the Council, seems unfortunate for her district.

Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
1143 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  09:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is unfortunate. Whether or not she was successful in her first term, she genuinely cared about Puna and Puna issues. Puna needs effective representation.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9391 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  11:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What evidence is there that Ruggles has withdrawn? Is this just a rumor?
Go to Top of Page

HiloPuna
Da Kine

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  14:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I haven’t been around for a while so I’ll guess “rumors” have started to become a sensitive issue on Punaweb? Man, I remember all those Billy Kenoi presumption of guilt and unfounded corruption accusations that are cousins to “rumor ”. I now note on this Puna Politics forum a significant amount of rumour, speculation, hyperbole, and presumptions on the Ashly for Puna thread. Most (all ?) of the criticisms of this new candidate come across as unfounded, which is “rumors” soil.

I try not to engage in rumor, or it’s cousins, and haven’t now. I have a screen shot in front of me of a Proclamation signed by Stewart Maeda, County Clerk, declaring that Jen Ruggles “...is no longer a candidate for Councilmember District 5..”

Since it’s a screen shot I can’t provide a link and I don’t see a feature to append pictures in this reply. I expect it will grace the Sunday Tribs front page tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9391 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2018 :  16:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kenoi was charged and had a trial. Ruggles bowing out will be news worthy. The Trib should have it covered. I mentioned Ruggles this morning to people who should know and they had not heard this.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7263 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  02:35:53  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've emailed Jen Ruggles about this via her county email address. Hopefully, we'll find out the truth soon.
Go to Top of Page

HiloPuna
Da Kine

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  07:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve personally found it difficult to find “truth” at 2:35 am....however it’s now the light of day and while the Trib seems remiss (again!) it’s apparently live on Facebook (according to my wife). A reason given is Bullying.....which raises even more questions than the one it answers.
Go to Top of Page

Carey
Punatic

6808 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  12:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EDIT - IT IS TRUE
(sorry caps locked!)
http://bigislandnow.com/2018/06/24/councilwoman-ruggles-wont-seek-reelection/
Crumb, too late to have anyone else file for candidacy to be on the ballot..... Not quite sure how I feel...

not sure if it is true, but her website has changed, from the "aloha I`m Jen Ruggles" front piece to the Lava and Earthquake resources (the "Aloha" meet Jen page still flashes by in an instant, but no longer has hang time...
Too bad if true, 1. she was starting to show some initiatives & more understanding for the district AND 2. the 2018 candidate filing close at the beginning of the month, so it would be hard for someone who would have been for her to step up now......not sure about who the other choices will be...but time will tell on all of this..
http://jenruggles.com

Edited by - Carey on 06/24/2018 19:18:05
Go to Top of Page

HiloPuna
Da Kine

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  20:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“EDIT - IT IS TRUE”

I never doubted it.
Go to Top of Page

Carey
Punatic

6808 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  20:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the three slated candidates (obviously, if Jen recuses herself, there will be the other 2, though all three could still be on the primary ballot...

https://onyourballot.vote411.org/race-detail.do?id=16840286

District 5 Council
Jen Ruggles - Mountain View
Matt Kanealii-Kleinfelder - Hilo
Frederic Ric Wirick - Orchidland
Go to Top of Page

KeaauRich
Punatic

1157 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  00:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ric Wirick has been a member of the Orchidland Board of Directors for several years now. Many of the Board's actions during his tenure have been extremely controversial and potentially unethical (as has been documented in numerous Punaweb threads and ongoing court case). In my opinion, Ric has not done anything during his terms that would lead me to believe he would be an effective and respected Puna representative on the County Council.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

10849 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  06:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ric Wirick has been a member of the Orchidland Board of Directors for several years now.

Which Board? The "legitimate" one?
Go to Top of Page

punaticbychoice
Punatic

1181 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  08:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kalakoa @ 06:47:25-
Maybe will start a different County Council?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page