Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Sources for local beef?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

1voyager1
Kamaaina

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  13:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We drove up to Hawi the other day.
The recent rainy weather had Saddle Rd. and further north the greenest I've seen in a long time.
Although, they still had the "Extreme Fire Danger" flag flying.
Also, I've never seen so many happy, contented cattle in the pastures along the road before.
That brought up a conversation about local, pasture grown, grass fed beef and its availability on island.

I assume KTA is a place where local beef can be bought.
Where else in the Hilo - Puna area can local beef be purchased?

jrw
Da Kine

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  14:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kulna Foods have local beef for sale good deal on hamburger. 959 9149

jrw
Go to Top of Page

glinda
Kamaaina

USA
820 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  15:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When passing through Honokaa, JJ Country Market on the Waipio end of town, mauka side of road, sells very local, Andrade family, beef. Well worth the few minutes/miles out of your way..
Go to Top of Page

Kenney
Punatic

USA
1234 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  16:15:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There’s a rancher in a truck that comes to Makuu Market every week. He’s got beef, lamb and pork he raises himself.
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Da Kine

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  17:11:45  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kulanas meat all grass fed local beef.1 1/4 lb gnd beef cheaper than foodland.
All quick frozen individual steaks shrink wrapped.
On kawalani rd worth driving thru the construction
Just like da bes poke is real local ahi at suisan,not da imported south pacific
Carbon dioxide impregnated poke at places like foodland lol
Aloha

Dan D
HPP
Go to Top of Page

dayna
Kamaaina

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2018 :  17:24:26  Show Profile  Visit dayna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I buy local hamburger at malama. lol Otherwise I second the JJ Country Market place. I've gotten some really good beef from there.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  08:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Foodland

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Go to Top of Page

SoCal_to_Hawaii
Da Kine

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  18:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the Maku'u Farmers' Market Double D Ranch (I think) in the blue trailer (on the highway side) has local grass feed beef, pork, etc. Very nice guy (Darcy) with yummy meat.
Go to Top of Page

rainyjim
Punatic

1980 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  20:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the 'local' beef is shipped to the mainland before slaughter and fattened with feed - in supermarkets the meat can still be labeled as local and grass fed.

So you may not be buying what you think you are - depending on what you're thinking!
Go to Top of Page

Andrew
Punatic

USA
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  17:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Andrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.molokailivestock.com/ Local raised beef.
Go to Top of Page

SoCal_to_Hawaii
Da Kine

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  17:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

Most of the 'local' beef is shipped to the mainland before slaughter and fattened with feed - in supermarkets the meat can still be labeled as local and grass fed.

So you may not be buying what you think you are - depending on what you're thinking!

If Darcy is to believed (and I do) his beef and other meat products are locally raised, fed, butchered. He has gone into detail about the issues he has had with getting a certified butcher on Island
(down to how much the labels cost).
Go to Top of Page

Kapoho Joe
Punatic

USA
1934 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  07:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took years to get that 'Mobile Slaughterhouse' permitted and up and running - perhaps Darcy is using that service?
Go to Top of Page

jrw
Da Kine

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  07:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kulna Foods butcher and slaughter local beef

jrw

Edited by - jrw on 04/13/2018 07:38:23
Go to Top of Page

SoCal_to_Hawaii
Da Kine

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  07:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

It took years to get that 'Mobile Slaughterhouse' permitted and up and running - perhaps Darcy is using that service?

I don't think he is using the mobile service. I want to say he uses some place on the Kona side.
Go to Top of Page

kalianna
Da Kine

208 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  21:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was excited to see that the trailer at Makkuu Market had local meat. I passed it every week and just assumed that it was cooked for on site consumption. Bought several lamb chops on Sunday for a special dinner tonight. Marinated it, cooked it up on the grill, tasted great and was absolutely unchewable. We ended up throwing out 3 expensive pounds of lamb. Very disappointing, pretty embarrassing to serve this to guests and a total waste of money.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7513 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  22:27:30  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about that, Kalianna. For local produce and chicken, lamb and beef, and some hard to find things, you might try The Lovacore Store in Hilo on Kamehameha Ave (on the bayfront near Cronies). I've never been disappointed there. It's not the cheapest place but the fruit, vegetables, and meat are hard to beat - all local. The website is being updated right now, but in case it becomes useful again soon, it's:

https://www.bigislandlocavorestore.com/

Apparently, they're adding an online store.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page