Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 The weather here is so unfathomable.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 5

glassnumbers
Da Kine

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  09:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://bigislandnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/gfe-1524067203.png

it's been raining for 11 months. I got here in mid-may, and ever since then the only sunny month was December.

Now, specifically for today, it's one degree off from Kona? what the hell? How is that even possible with the thousands of gallons of rain Discovery Harbor has been hit with?

Oh yeah, also, my apologies. I know this isn't about Puna, but there's no Ka'uweb that i know of, and for some reason, Ka'u tends to get all the rain that Puna does, at least for the last 11 months.

Aloha :)

Edited by - glassnumbers on 04/18/2018 09:53:56

randomq
Kamaaina

USA
994 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  09:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey neat, I didn't realize Mauna Loa got so cold during the day. Aside from the national park, are there any good accessible places on Mauna Loa to go have a picnic and cool off?
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9190 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  10:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually up in the Natl. Park there is a turn off, mauka, for heading up Mauna Loa Road. A beautiful drive through the highland forest and ends at some altitude at the trail head for the summit.

Check it out....

"Mauna Loa Lookout Improvements Complete and Road is Open" 2018

https://www.nps.gov/havo/learn/news/20180103_pr_maunaloardopen.htm
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
5924 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  10:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mauna Loa Road. A beautiful drive through the highland forest

You'll drive through several areas of koa forest, where I always stop to watch the light gray branches twist and sway amidst their darker, shifting shadows on sunny days. The forest also opens up at several turns in the road along the way, revealing expansive views south towards Volcano and the Pacific.

Even if you don't plan a hike all the way up the summit, the trail which starts at the 7000 foot elevation parking lot is well worth walking for a mile or two in the cool mountain air.

“Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MarkD
Kamaaina

616 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  13:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And it is incredibly quiet up there. I've never "heard" such silence (bit of a contradiction there.)
Go to Top of Page

Lodestone
Kamaaina

USA
569 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  14:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drove up there a couple of years ago. It's a lovely drive, although it was (is?) a one-lane road with endless blind hairpin turns that kept our eyes riveted to the oncoming death lurking behind every corner. As such, the speed limit is mostly 10 MPH, so plan on taking nearly an hour to drive the 11.2 mile length.
Go to Top of Page

snorkle
Punatic

1274 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  14:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful!
Go to Top of Page

punaticbychoice
Punatic

1088 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  16:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
snorkle @ 14:30:11 04/18/2018-

Edited by - punaticbychoice on 04/18/2018 16:13:46
Go to Top of Page

Midnight Rambler
Kamaaina

USA
917 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  18:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no such thing as an "average year" here. The average rainfall for any given place is just in between years when there are droughts or floods (usually two or three years of each in a row). That was true even before climate change started to kick in and it can only get worse.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
6922 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  19:03:57  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coincidently, there's a 2-hour Nova episode tonight on PBS starting at 8 pm called "Decoding the Weather Machine". Some here might be interested in watching.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/decoding-weather-machine.html
Go to Top of Page

Kenney
Punatic

USA
1190 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  20:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Tom! Good Episode!
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
6922 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  20:06:43  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've only just started watching it!
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
6922 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  21:59:49  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was definitely one of the better Nova episodes (Kenney, I'm assuming you watched it online!). Around the twenty minute mark, there was quite a bit about Mauna Loa and its importance in climate research including some nice photography of the place. Overall, it covered just about everything including towards the end stuff I was unaware of, e.g., no-till farming.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
6922 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  22:40:00  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PS. Right after the Nova episode, PBS is showing "Bill Nye: Science Guy". It's equally as interesting and the whole thing is currently available for free online.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/billnyescienceguy/
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
5924 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  07:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thursday & Friday forecast: flood watches possible

(to the tune of Let It Snow)
Oh the weather outside's unfathomable
It's almost unnn...imaginable
Every week brings more of the same
Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain

“Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Kamaaina

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  08:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That little jingle is cute HOTPE!

And MidnightRambler: "There's no such thing as an "average year" here. The average rainfall for any given place is just in between years when there are droughts or floods (usually two or three years of each in a row). That was true even before climate change started to kick in and it can only get worse."

That statement is so true. There sometimes seems to be a pattern for when the droughts hit, (usually late December through February) but not this year and not many other years. I've been keeping track since the early 80's. A couple of years in a row seems to make a trend but nothing to bank on. I've had so many people from the mainland ask, "when is the dry season?" My reply is usually, "There is no dry season" Sometimes the drought is in February, Sometimes it's August and sometimes not at all.

This rainy weather reminds me of how it was in the late 80's. Consistently rainy with brief spells of sunshine. The plants grow really fast because of it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page