Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 What was the Golden Age of Hawai'i?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 3

glassnumbers
Da Kine

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  17:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
while i try to look on the positive side, many of the complaints that kama'aina levy about Hawai'i are valid. So i started looking back in time as to when Hawai'i had it better. Well, in the 70's up until like, 2012, there was Operation Green Harvest which hurt innumerable coffee farmers because they couldn't survive just on coffee, so they grew pakalolo to supplement their income. countless native Hawai'ians were displaced and even more were driven into poverty or homelessness.

So, going back farther than the 70's, well, Hawai'i only recently became a state in 1959...so before Operation Green Harvest, Hawai'i was still reeling from a bunch of asshole white plantation owners sticking a gun in their queens face and illegally taking the islands.

So, when was the Hawai'ian golden age when people were mostly happy?

Aloha :)

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
5924 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  17:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judging by the comments under the Punaweb topic:
Life is great because:

I'd have to say right about now.

“Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

MarkD
Kamaaina

616 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  17:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking all people in the islands collectively, definitely before the 1980s when the first homelessness started appearing. In the 1970s virtually all people in the islands had a place to live.

Fewer hard drugs, less tension caused by super-rich newcomers moving to Hawaii and dislocating life for people already here....
Go to Top of Page

PaulW
Punatic

4693 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  18:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People have never been healthier and wealthier than now. I doubt there would be many takers for a time machine to way back when.
Go to Top of Page

Midnight Rambler
Kamaaina

USA
917 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  18:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, even with the current spike caused by meth and all the rest, violent crime here was about twice as high in the 70s as it is now.
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Punatic

USA
3080 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  19:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Golden Age was before humans arrived !

Lets return to that time by abandoning the Big Island !
Remove all signs of human habitation and relocate everyone to Mars.
Go to Top of Page

kalianna
Da Kine

101 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  20:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to Mars until I can roll down the windows of my rocketship. I'll stay here. It's golden enough for me.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
6922 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  20:17:18  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
According to the original series of Hawaii Five-0, there was a huge murder rate in the late 60s and in the 70s, so it does seem much safer now...
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
6922 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  20:42:36  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment, Obie!
Go to Top of Page

Mimosa
Punatic

USA
1006 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  14:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the territory of Hawaii Nei was Hawaii the Territory and NOT a state from Americana.
Before Caucasians .
Before red lights.
Before trespassers on our aina.
Before big box stores .
Before illegal drugs and hippies and 420.
Before homelessness.
Before taxes .
Before cell phones - the internet and jet travel .
Those were our Golden years.
Mrs.Mimosa
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9190 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  14:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious to know, from your perspective... was it golden for the Ali`i or for everyone?
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Kamaaina

USA
994 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  14:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mimosa says the golden age was before Caucasians showed up.

Similarly, white folks in Detroit thought everything was great before black folks showed up.

The original Hawaiians from the Marquesas Islands would probably say the golden age was before the Tahitians arrived and enslaved them.
Go to Top of Page

Mimosa
Punatic

USA
1006 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  14:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Rob - We are not that antique yet but suffice to say - the commoners were not as well off as the Ali'i but no one starved ..

Mrs.Mimosa and Ohana
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Punatic

USA
3080 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  15:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"the commoners were not as well off as the Ali'i but no one starved "

Ever hear about sandalwood ?

Commoners in Hawaii had to pay this new tax in one of two ways. They ether pay in cash or by gathering half a picul (slightly less than 67 pounds) of sandalwood each year. The penalties for not paying the sandalwood tax were severe. Many lost personal property and possessions. Some were so exhausted and overworked harvesting and hauling sandalwood they became ill or died. The sandalwood tax and the unchecked harvesting of sandalwood led to two famines.
Go to Top of Page

2liveque
Da Kine

488 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  15:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Golden age for my generation was certainly the 50's, 60's, and 70's. While there were world events that were anything but "golden," the paint on Hawaii at this time was fresh.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
5924 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  15:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
led to two famines.

It wasn't exactly a golden moment in time either, for those warriors* who ended up on the wrong side, and then at the bottom of a cliff while the islands were being Unified.
* not all were volunteers

“Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page