Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 Draftsman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

Mindful
malihini

68 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  11:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Building a new house...it's been 10 years and the code has changed where post and pier need to be dug out 1 foot into the ground. I went to County and they said they still accept the "old" footings poured 1 foot above ground but you need to have it drawn that way and approved. Seemed like they accept some and not others.

It's a small house, but I'm looking for a reliable draftsman to get the plans done and Smelker (engineer) approved.

Anyone know reputable draftsmen?

VancouverIslander
Kamaaina

Canada
975 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2018 :  19:26:30  Show Profile  Visit VancouverIslander's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave Holbrook. You'll find him on this forum if you search, or just google his name along with "drafting Hilo" and you'll find him.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Hotzcatz
Punatic

USA
1785 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2018 :  00:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Hotzcatz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Current code is 2006 International Residential Code - as approved by Hawaii County. They made a few changes to it so it isn't just that standard 2006 IRC code.

The 'old' footings were a big 'tofu' block on the ground (16" x 16" x 8" concrete block) with a small 'tofu' block on top (8" x 8" x 6" concrete block) a metal termite pan and then your 4" x 4" post on top of that. No Simpson fittings to be seen anywhere. But those were about three or four code changes ago and before Hurricane Iniki. A lot of buildings built that way are still standing, though.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

Edited by - Hotzcatz on 07/28/2018 00:07:07
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page