Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Puna Events
 Pahoa Roundabout Landscaping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 3

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  15:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malama O Puna and Mainstreet Pahoa Assn are partnering with State DOT - Highways Div., Puna Community Policing, & Youth Challenge to weed, plant and maintain the roundabout, which was getting pretty seedy looking. A community workday has been scheduled for this Saturday, May 4 from 9 am to noon. If you would like to help beautify the entrance to Pahoa and the gateway to Puna makai, put on your best gardening outfit and meet us in front of Subway. If you can't physically attend but would like to support this effort, tax deductible donations will be accepted. Pls make checks payable to Malama O Puna, whose mailing address is POB 1520, Pahoa 96778. You will receive a receipt for the IRS.
mahalo plenty,
Rene

Carey
Punatic

7067 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  17:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rene we have a handful of Naupaka that we had started a year ago for another project & these were leftover...
Could you use them (me thinks they really wanna be planted)
Go to Top of Page

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2019 :  13:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carey -

Yes to the naupaka. Are they the kahakai or the kuahiwi? How many do you have and what size pots?(I can return the pots later).

mahalo,
Rene
Go to Top of Page

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2019 :  13:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first planting day was a success, and we will now fill in between the Manila Palms at our next gardening session, which is now scheduled for Saturday, June 8 at 10:00 am.

We will provide tools & gloves & light refreshments. If you have gallon jugs of water, we can always use them.

This is a "feel good" project because you see the results right away and all the passing cars give you shakas & mahalos. Please join us.

malama pono,
Rene
Go to Top of Page

Carey
Punatic

7067 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  09:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rene, just rehomed the naupaka on Friday...
Go to Top of Page

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  12:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carey -
So I snoozed, I loozed. I must remember to check this site more often...

Thanks anyway,
Rene
Go to Top of Page

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  11:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NEW PLANTING DAY AT ROUNDABOUT WILL BE ON SUNDAY, JUNE 23 FROM 10 AM TO NOON.

In just two hours you can enjoy creating some beauty in our community with your friends and neighbors - and then stand back and enjoy the results of your labor. As we work, drivers support our efforts with shakas, mahalos and other forms of approval. Lots of feel good moments.Treat yourself to them and join us.

mahalo plenty,
Rene
Go to Top of Page

kalianna
Da Kine

405 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  18:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The roundabout looks great. Thanks for all the hard work. Makes a big difference.
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  15:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup looking great again there. So impressive what love and care can accomplish. I'm grateful. Mahalo to those doing the work.
Go to Top of Page

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  13:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did more planting today: agapanthus (lily of the Nile) and Plumbago. One of the agapanthus, a white one, is now blooming. We can speed up the project if more of you would volunteer. How about it?
Go to Top of Page

kalianna
Da Kine

405 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  19:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be happy to volunteer if it was later in the day but it's always in the morning so I can't make it. Maybe switch the times around and bring in some new blood???
Go to Top of Page

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  14:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our contract with State Highways requires that we not work during "peak hours". Their definition allows us to work Sat. & Sun, anytime, plus weekdays between 8:30 am and 3:00 pm. We are otherwise flexible.

So within those parameters, what would work for you?

Rene
Go to Top of Page

kalianna
Da Kine

405 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  17:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost any day, noon or later. Weekends are fine. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2019 :  11:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been scheduling for mornings because of the heat. There is no shade at the roundabout, and the heat gets pretty intense by noon. I would love to organize a work party around 4 or 5, when it starts to cool off, but those are peak times, unfortunately.

If I plan a Saturday work party from 12 to 1 or from 1 to 3, I think it will break up the day for people, whereas a morning work party allows the rest of the day for beach, shopping or whatever.

I would love to get some feedback from more of you. I do want to do what I can to get a good turnout. If I schedule the next one for Sat., July 20, then what 2-hour segment would be best?

Opinions, please.

Rene
Go to Top of Page

kalianna
Da Kine

405 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2019 :  17:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've put in my two cents but wondering if you need plants donated? If so what are you looking for and how would I get them to you?
Go to Top of Page

Rene Siracusa
Kamaaina

716 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2019 :  16:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plants must be able to handle full sun. Also, there is not much depth underneath that wood chip mulch, so we have to limit ourselves to plants that don't have a deep tap root. That's why you see the orchids, bromeliads and agapanthus.

Our office is in Pahoa on the main drag, between Jeff Hunt Surfboards and the County Council office. It's the building with 6 steps up to a porch. 15-2881 Pahoa Village Rd. You can drop plants off at any time. If no one is here, leave a note with your name, so we know who to acknowledge and mahalo.

Rene
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page