Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Farming and Gardening in Puna
 Compost Reimbursement Program
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8299 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  10:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The state of Hawaii will reimburse 50% of the cost for compost purchased by ag producers. Details and contacts below:

NR19-13
June 10, 2019

COMPOST REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS

HONOLULU Ė The Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA) has established the Compost Reimbursement Program which may reimburse agricultural producers for the cost of purchasing compost.
Act 89 which was enacted in 2018, allocated $650,000 over a two-year period for the reimbursement of 50 percent of compost cost incurred by agricultural producers during fiscal year 2019 (July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019) and a portion of fiscal year 2020 (July 1, 2019 to March 30, 2020) not to exceed $50,000 per applicant per year. Funds for the remainder of the three-year program have not yet been funded by the legislature.
ďThis reimbursement program is aimed at providing assistance to farmers to ease some of the operational cost relating to the purchase of composting material,Ē said Phyllis Shimabukuro-Geiser, chairperson of the Hawaii Board of Agriculture.
Under the reimbursement program, compost must be purchased from a certified processor, retailer or wholesaler licensed to do business in Hawaii. In addition, certified Hawaii processors are limited to those companies regulated under the Hawaii Department of Healthís Solid Waste Management Program.

Qualified applicants must also provide a W-9 tax form, sample invoice and proof of compliance with federal, state and county tax and business regulations.

For more information and to download the application forms, go to:
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/blog/main/compostreimbursement/

rainyjim
Punatic

2079 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2019 :  17:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíll be honest iím pretty surprised about this program. My initial thought being: wow, someone who owns a local composting facility is extremely well connected!
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

5839 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  16:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Qualified applicants must also provide a W-9 tax form, sample invoice and proof of compliance with federal, state and county tax and business regulations."

Agreed. "Nice" how the program is geared only towards established large businesses and not "the little guy" trying to start out and has not yet grasped tax forms, invoices, and "proof of compliance with federal, state and county tax and business regulations" (whatever THAT means). It seems it's not just the people who own the composting facility that is well connected, but also the ones buying the compost, as this sweetheart deal seems tailored to keep out everybody else. With our tax dollars.

Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12425 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2019 :  19:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
someone who owns a local composting facility is extremely well connected

Funny, I seem to recall the composting facility being built with public dollars. About $10M if I remember right. After which someone else operates it? On our behalf.
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
1756 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  06:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well someone has to operate it, it's not like the compost just breaks down on its own... Er... Special skills that require contracting out... Um... Still need county employees to oversee the operation... Uh... Needs more funding, you have to pay more taxes if you want these services...

Go to Top of Page

1voyager1
Kamaaina

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  10:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks to me like a subsidy program for the county's plan for a new composting facility in Kea'au.
They have said they will be charging for the compost they produce, which will be a less than what they now produce in Hilo.
My suspicion is that mulch/compost will no longer be available/affordable for home use by the citizens of the county.

I no longer take green waste to the transfer stations.
I am composting all my palm fronds, tree prunings, grass and weed cuttings, etc for my own use.
I foresee that the only way to obtain compost produced by the county is from an aftermarket seller.
Hope I'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

rainyjim
Punatic

2079 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  11:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1v1, thatís exactly what I see.

Taxpayers are subsidizing someoneís compost business by paying for the county business which will no longer be available to taxpayers who will now have to purchase compost from the 3rd party (county/taxpayer subsidized) business. Itís basically a parasite.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12425 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  11:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
taxpayers who will now have to purchase compost from the 3rd party

I predict that the compost won't actually be available because commercial haulers with much bigger trucks will be taking it all to west-side resort landscaping projects.
Go to Top of Page

1voyager1
Kamaaina

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  14:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've already been rationing it since actually beginning to do the composting themselves.
My last load was wood chips.
It's been a while since picking up compost, but you did have to beat the bigger truck to it.
After beginning to do the composting they limited loads to 10 yds or tons, don't remember which.
I can hold and carry a ton in my Dak.
It squats and grunts, but does the job.
I had added side boards that gave me a 4 yd capacity.
Compost is much heavier than mulch.
If they put 4yds in it, it would probably blow all 4 tires.

I was going to add overload air shocks so that it would ride more evenly, now not going to do that until I see how this ends up working.

Will be looking at picking up a chipper.
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

5839 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  16:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know how much longer the free mulch will be available?
Go to Top of Page

1voyager1
Kamaaina

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2019 :  20:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, since they began composting, mulch is no longer available.
They compost everything now as I've been informed.
The rational was given as to control LFAs and coquis, which is a good reason.
They only turn loose of it when it has finished composting to their standard.
That's why the quantities are limited and rationed.
They're running their pilot program for their planned compost factory.

You could still pick up uncomposted wood chips a couple of months ago.

EDIT:
The last time I picked up compost, I had to call ahead to find out when it would be available.
I assume there will be no major changes or charges made until the new facility goes on line.
Might give them a call to see just what they're planning.

EDIT Again:
The outfit that is and/or will be doing the composting for the county:
https://hawaiianearth.com/

They are selling compost [soil conditioner] for $37/yd on Oahu using green waste sources like those here.

Edited by - 1voyager1 on 06/27/2019 06:18:14
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page