Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 property tax escrow account
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  07:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering engaging legal counsel to create a public escrow account into which property taxes may be deposited pending resolution of the "who is our rightful government" question.

Perhaps the armchair attorneys of Punaweb have suggestions, comments, questions?

I believe "our" message will be heard if enough revenue is at stake.

Forcing the County to make public statements to the effect that "we are the rightful government" would be icing on the cake.

ironyak
Punatic

USA
3084 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  08:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Government has the right of selective enforcement so they can choose to enforce the tax laws but not the road access. IMO your better bet would be to block another access road (may I suggest Aupuni St fronting the County buildings with the Mayor & County Council offices) with non-Hawaiians and when arrested claim unequal treatment under the 14th Amendment. Because Federal laws (at least) are for everyone right?
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  09:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's do it. We should find an event promoter and schedule it far out enough to make it huge.
Go to Top of Page

jrw
Da Kine

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  10:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am for blockage of Aupini would be same as blocking any other public road ?Let me know when

jrw

Edited by - jrw on 08/06/2019 10:40:24
Go to Top of Page

EightFingers
Punatic

USA
2619 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing you can do is just pay half the taxes due. I don’t know how many pay all at once, but if everyone just paid half, it might make a statement. It seems to me the interest and penalties wouldn’t make it worthwhile to withhold paying any taxes.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the interest and penalties

Also considering an "escrow of one" which consists simply of notifying County that payments are being withheld pending clarification of their authority to collect same.

Later, challenge the penalties/interest in court.

Government can mitigate this uncertainty at any time by simply growing a pair.
Go to Top of Page

snorkle
Punatic

1453 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy that you guys are starting to get it. Peaceful protest is a constitutional right. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peaceful protest is a constitutional right.

Including peacfully keeping people from their jobs -- which means the protest shouldn't be in front of the County building, but somewhere that will cause more inconvenience.

Perhaps the end of Kalanianaole, or Kekuanaoa. The 130/132 intersection looks good too, maximum impact if it's a dead-end like the Mauna Kea Access Road.
Go to Top of Page

snorkle
Punatic

1453 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  11:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHuuuuuuuuuuuu!
Go to Top of Page

jrw
Da Kine

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  12:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Peaceful protest is a constitutional right.

Including peacfully keeping people from their jobs -- which means the protest shouldn't be in front of the County building, but somewhere that will cause more inconvenience.

Perhaps the end of Kalanianaole, or Kekuanaoa. The 130/132 intersection looks good too, maximum impact if it's a dead-end like the Mauna Kea Access Road.

If this true why are stopping people from going to work on the mountain? Is this peaceful? I thought the whole purpose for the county to get some balls .

jrw

Edited by - jrw on 08/06/2019 12:27:15
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  13:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC HERE, but does involve the expense of our county tax dollars County Council meeting is currently being broadcast.
Finance committee report & testimony has not begun yet. 2 interesting topics on the Agenda...

.REQUESTS A PRESENTATION BY THE HAWAI‘I COUNTY RECOVERY TEAM
REGARDING
IMMEDIATE PRIORITIES, PROJECTS AND INITIATIVES,
UPDATED SPENDING PLAN, AND TIMELINE FOR THE LAVA RECOVERY
INTERIM STRATEGY
From Council Member Ashley L. Kierkiewicz, dated July 19,
Comm.
:

REQUESTS
A
FINANCE REPORT OF COUNTY EXPENSES RELATING TO
MAUNA
KEA

http://hawaiicounty.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=1
Go to Top of Page

Chunkster
Punatic

2085 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  14:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I favor civil disobedience and a 14th Amendment complaint over a tax strike. If there is some way to cripple the county tax collecting machine by a sit-down strike or road blockage, you could make two points at once. I would gladly participate.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  14:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blocking the County is pretty obvious, but all their parking lots have multiple points of ingress/egress, so we need multiple groups to get them all.

I wonder how it plays if the groups are each different, protesting for different reasons, coincidentally all at the same time...

Another alternative would be to occupy the entire inner corridor, all nicely indoors, no need for pop-up tents etc. Allow any County employee to leave if they wish. Can they kick the public out of a public building where public business is conducted, or are we safer in the street...
Go to Top of Page

snorkle
Punatic

1453 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  14:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TAX STRIKE!! TAX STRIKE !!

Next time I get a 4-0, I'm gonna take 5% out of the charity jar!

That'll teach em !
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Punatic

USA
3723 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  15:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is interesting ! Wonder if the protesters might close down PTA .

There are three separate units training at PTA this month: US Marines based at Kaneohe Marine Corps Base, US Army Combat Aviation Brigade from Wheeler Army Airfield in Wahiawa, and Hawai‘i Island Police Department (HPD).

The Marines will be flying Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Aug. 6 to Aug. 17 from Cooper Airstrip on the eastern portion of PTA. The Army aviation units will be conducting aerial gunnery Aug. 19 to Aug. 23, and HPD will be training their Special Response Team (SRT) and K9 teams on Aug. 6, Aug. 13, Aug. 23 and Aug. 30.

Finally, the Youth Challenge Academy cadets of Class 18 complete Phase I tomorrow on Aug. 6.PTA hosts the Phase I portion in cooperation with Hawai‘i National Guard Youth Challenge Academy, which consists of the first two weeks in the program.

https://bigislandnow.com/2019/08/06/military-convoy-and-training-advisory-august-2019/
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  15:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder if the protesters might close down PTA .

Good place for an internment camp. I really hope it works out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page