Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Council losing patience with lava "recovery"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  21:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2019/08/07/video-hawaii-council-losing-patience-with-lava-recovery-process/

It's been a year since the eruption stopped, and so far we have ... what, exactly?

"I know that there’s a FEMA process around that and I'm ready to give $7,500 to that community out of my own contingency relief funds to get them home," Kierkiewicz said. "But I know I cannot because there's a process. I'm just tired of the process and tired of the system. I'm tired of the silos. I’m tired of the apologies."

I received one of the postcards: "Save the Date! July 27th Speak Out session!" ... but the postage is dated August 1.

How you do anything is how you do everything...

kalianna
Da Kine

374 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  00:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never even got the postcard! Maybe next week...
Go to Top of Page

Carey
Punatic

7055 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  02:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We also got the July 27th postcard, postage dated Aug 1

Interesting, at 17:25 Matt is stating he "hasn`t worked with you {Diane} as much as I should have"
UMMM, He is NOW realizing he should be working with this part of the administration group to help them get this work done quicker.
19:09 "I think it may be time for us to - be a part of it"

I think the community may have expected an earlier realization from Puna representation.

The end was, maybe, the best. Council realizing how much the administration has beaten away the community support & dragged out this whole process with {probably} un-necessary administration busy work.

Edited by - Carey on 08/08/2019 02:42:04
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8305 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  05:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a year since the eruption stopped, and so far we have ... what, exactly?

We did get a parade in Pahoa a few months ago, and two new murals.
Go to Top of Page

geochem
Kamaaina

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  08:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Oz; enjoy your time here, but whatever you do, don't look behind the curtain...
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  17:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Carey 08/08/2019 : 02:06:26

"We also got the July 27th postcard, postage dated Aug 1

"Interesting, at 17:25 Matt is stating he "hasn`t worked with you {Diane} as much as I should have"
UMMM, He is NOW realizing he should be working with this part of the administration group to help them get this work done quicker.
19:09 "I think it may be time for us to - be a part of it"

"I think the community may have expected an earlier realization from Puna representation."

The end was, maybe, the best. Council realizing how much the administration has beaten away the community support & dragged out this whole process with {probably} un-necessary administration busy work.
Edited by - Carey on 08/08/2019 02:42:04 "
-------------------------------------------------
Mahalo Carey, for viewing their meeting and posting your opinion.

I think the best way for the community to weigh it's own expectations is to get a better sense of reality.
True, so many have been beaten away, but at least now, the whole council is doing more than simply praising the administration.

I too , just now got my post card, postmarked 8-5. What a complete insult to us all that 1). we are still "speaking out" as to what we want 2). The speak out meeting was held at Keaau High July 27. And I have to say, I find those meaningless graphics, that provide us with nothing , presented AGAIN offensive.

The only way I see to help ourselves is to
Do the time at understanding who is in control ( or not) , follow the money, show up at Council meetings ,voice opinions with our representatives and support them when they risk relationships with the entrenched on our behalf .
Matt is new, I'm assuming it is not easy receiving requested information from seasoned politically savvy administration officials in a timely fashion.
Go to Top of Page

ironyak
Punatic

USA
3084 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  18:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this seems a bit off-topic but it sounded like she said at the beginning that Tom Callis was recently brought on to support the Communications team. Is that reporter Tom Callis of the Tribune-Herald? He hasn't posted any reports since early June...

I think Nancy summed it up in that there has been millions allocated for recovery but they can't get $4000 for gravel to help get people home. Literally asking for pennies and being denied. Combine this with the 700 ft of Lighthouse Rd that is not going to be cleared currently even with the dozers are going to be right there at 4 corners, and no timeline for 137 to Kapoho Kai.

But they are finding ways to pay others to do surveys, send post-cards, do case management, and every other administrative task. That way the monies can be dolled out to favored contractors and all responsibility for the outcome displaced from the County. SOP really, but it's hard not to see this all as a direct insult to those effected.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9836 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  18:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom Callis reminds me of Hunter Bishop. Apologist for corrupt government.
Go to Top of Page

Chunkster
Punatic

2085 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  18:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If only a Federal Prosecutor could be pried away from the Oahu miasma long enough to take a hard, cold look at the Big Island's corruption. I guess it's small potatoes compared to the Kealohas, HART, and OHA/DHHL, but it would sure be nice for some of these characters to be brought down.
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  19:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chunkster "to take a hard, cold look at the Big Island's corruption."

That's our job and if we choose not to, then we get the government we deserve.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  20:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only way I see to help ourselves is to

Occupy the County administration building, forcing a shutdown of Planning, Permits, and Property Tax. Fly flags bearing the County seal upside-down. Invite the media.

The protestors have shown that not only is this the correct way to get what you want, your occupation will be fully accomodated and provided for, so why not follow their example?
Go to Top of Page

rainyjim
Punatic

2079 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  01:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But what if your name doesnt end in a vowel?
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  18:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The protestors have shown that not only is this the correct way to get what you want, your occupation will be fully accomodated and provided for, so why not follow their example?"
-----------------------------------------------------
This remains to be proven, yes? And they did fight their way thru the State controlled system first.

How many of us even pay attention to our government much less speak out past social media?

I suppose it's easier to slap on a hat, pink, red , whatever color and march, but that method is short lived with little results. And little old us forcing a "shut down" of Planning , Permits and Property tax ? DREAM On!
So much happened today in my little universe. A hearing on HPPOA for starts, then a hearing for boat moorage increases that effects my friends who fish , our sailing club, our little world at Wailoa .
Then the release of info regarding Astronomers, workers returning to Mauna Kea, FINALLY , as to my knowledge the proposal offered to the Observatory community was not new information.

That's just here, Hilo side.....Oahu is another saga!

My best to all who have to navigate 130 to and from their work places, taking their keiki to & from school, dentist's appt.s etc ....

So thoughtful of our State Dept. of Trans. to give us a heads up!

Go to Top of Page

Carey
Punatic

7055 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  21:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did take the survey (after I found out, through this link, that the deadline was extended).

Most of the questions were just like the planning Hawaii County 2025 questions from 2005 (gosh, how many of those ideas ever were acted on, now almost 2 decades later?)

Also much like the PCP & Hawaii County SpeakOut events.

Strange that the pretty postcard mentions the Keaau HS SpeakOut that was happening the day after they put the postage on, but did not mention the Community Comprehensive SpeakOut this Sunday (8/11) 9 AM 2 PM at Aupuni Center, Hilo:
http://www.hiplanningdept.com/general-plan/speakout/

FB link:
https://www.facebook.com/events/374059349962538/

General Plan Links"http://www.hiplanningdept.com/general-plan/gp2040/?fbclid=IwAR34fMkJhX1doencnC9GmkwrqcmhTgqTdCKvp_EDI6gRKITqJGqTIwrqYPE

Edited by - Carey on 08/09/2019 21:21:01
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
8505 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  21:27:14  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
reni,

"Then the release of info regarding Astronomers, workers returning to Mauna Kea, FINALLY , as to my knowledge the proposal offered to the Observatory community was not new information."

If you want to ask that question on one of the MK threads, I would be happy to answer. It's off-topic for this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Punatic

USA
3723 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  02:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Combine this with the 700 ft of Lighthouse Rd that is not going to be cleared currently even with the dozers are going to be right there at 4 corners, and no timeline for 137 to Kapoho Kai."

The lighthouse road has separate issues because it was o private property, The landowner doesn't want to allow a free for all down there.There are many AHU and burial sites down there.

Harry was going to abandon all of that area served by 137. The county waited to long and there is zero money.
Harry didn't believe anyone wanted to back.
There are plenty of people who want to go back because that land is all they have left.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page