Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Shower Drive Cluster
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 3

Seeb
Punatic

2018 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  08:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1:30 from 22nd to 130 on shower drive. Someone needs to get fired.
Who would do this on the first week of school

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  09:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who would do this on the first week of school

How else could they be sure everyone sees them working?
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8315 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  09:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the first week of school

Plenty of time to drive in the message, stay in school kids or you'll end up an outdoors County worker.
Go to Top of Page

Chunkster
Punatic

2085 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  09:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This totally predictable fiasco is the result of restriping for the contraflow lane that they assured us would be done before school started. I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn that anyone who believed the DOT needs to buy.
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Punatic

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  09:27:25  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Worse,
They removed the rt side rt turn onto hiway fm showe now u gotta go to makuu to eben get 9n hiway. Spent 10 min to get 100 ft.
Turn arroumd.not going mk today

HPP
Go to Top of Page

shave_ice
Da Kine

379 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  10:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is usually a 45 minute drive to work even during the school year, took me an hour and a half. Someone absolutely needs to be fired. Completely ridiculous
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  10:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they assured us would be done before school started

Except hurricanes, and they had to go install barricades and a traffic signal at the Mauna Kea Access Road. Totally weird events that nobody could possibly foresee or work around.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8315 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  10:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they had to go install barricades and a traffic signal at the Mauna Kea Access Road.

Expedited proposals, hearings, commentary period, EIS, and DOT engineering require all hands on deck. Chop, chop.
Go to Top of Page

Chunkster
Punatic

2085 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  11:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have things improved since rush hour? I have a dental appointment at 1 p.m. and need to know if I should leave now.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8315 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  11:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have things improved since rush hour?

I just checked with the people who have the brand new barricades and stop light. They said it hasn't gotten any better since 1893.
Go to Top of Page

2liveque
Kamaaina

529 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  11:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The STATE (Not county) Dept. of Transportation dropped the ball big time. Yes, they are restriping to bring in a second lane. Good. But one can easily summarize that there are not State DOT workers who must make that commute each morning. That right hand "turn any time with caution" from Shower to 130 was the necessary "valve" that kept traffic moving out of shower. Without it, we got what we had today -- Carmaggedon. Bringing in another lane on 130 is absolutely cool. Not managing the current situation on shower however was just ridiculous. They literally left thousands of people stranded on various arteries of HPP. The worst I have ever seen. I would suggest for folks to call the STATE DOT. Call and complain. At the very least, they could have had better signage, as well as traffic officers to manage traffic between 630am and 8:00am. The STATE DOT simply did not even think of doing this. As a result, thousands were late for work, school, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Punatic

USA
3723 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  12:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the DOT reads punaweb.

Motorists are advised that during the striping, the dedicated right turn from Shower Drive onto northbound Keaau-Pahoa Road will be allowed during the morning rush with cones to separate the turning traffic from oncoming northbound traffic on Keaau-Pahoa Road. Motorists are asked to drive with caution in the area. This measure is being taken to mitigate the congestion experienced on the first day of restriping; however, after the striping is complete, the dedicated right turn will be removed to encourage drivers to use the main road instead of the privately-owned back roads

Edited by - Obie on 08/08/2019 12:52:32
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  13:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Apparently the DOT reads punaweb."

My guess would be that people actually called to complain. Took me 1hr 45min to get home from Hilo yesterday.

Doesn't Don Smith still live in HPP? maybe he was blessed w/ 1st hand information.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  13:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took me 1hr 45min to get home from Hilo yesterday.

One road in ... one road out ... just like the people asked for .....
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2019 :  15:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2019/08/08/hawaii-news/re-striping-of-highway-130-causes-carmageddon/

Contraflow operations are expected to begin Monday, Aug. 26.

Just in time for school ... on the mainland.
Go to Top of Page

KeaauRich
Punatic

1205 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  07:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friday morning, 7:15 update: Apparently the backup is worse than yesterday. Our house painter reports it took an hour to drive from downtown Pahoa to Orchidland Drive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page