Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 What waste of money
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

jrw
Da Kine

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  08:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The police from 3 counties have racked over half million dollars of overtime plus their salary just sitting on Saddle road. If the state is not going to do anything about the illegal camp and block road why dont the just come of the mountain and let the protester up there do there thing. A terrible waste of money. That not counting the money the state has pay to dnr police

jrw

Edited by - jrw on 08/09/2019 08:37:40

ironyak
Punatic

USA
3084 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2019 :  08:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never let a good "emergency" "response" go unpaid (with overtime). Given the connections between the protesters, law enforcement, and government agencies, it's like a win-win-win situation by design.
Go to Top of Page

David M
Punatic

USA
2180 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  08:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the State had any gumption this amount would be deducted from whatever OHA gets funded, then further reduce by whatever amount OHA is providing the protesters.

Ninole Resident
Go to Top of Page

jrw
Da Kine

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  13:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If state really wanted Tmt built they would never let them move in like they did. What B.s you have to get the protester permission to use a public road

jrw

Edited by - jrw on 08/10/2019 13:51:10
Go to Top of Page

knieft
Punatic

1005 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  15:57:23  Show Profile  Visit knieft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

Never let a good "emergency" "response" go unpaid (with overtime). Given the connections between the protesters, law enforcement, and government agencies, it's like a win-win-win situation by design.

Connections? Can you elaborate?

Cheers,
Kirt
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  16:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'll speculate: the island is a club, "first-generation transplants" aren't invited, everyone else is already related somehow. Protestors are keeping their law enforcement relatives in overtime, government can use "crisis management" as an excuse as necessary.

I wonder who is providing "material support" to the protest camp. Food and port-a-potties aren't free...
Go to Top of Page

knieft
Punatic

1005 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  16:26:53  Show Profile  Visit knieft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

I wonder who is providing "material support" to the protest camp. Food and port-a-potties aren't free...

OHA, no?

And still seeing flag trucks buying pallets of bottled water early morning. Watermelons, etc, ...

Cheers,
Kirt
Go to Top of Page

jrw
Da Kine

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  16:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oha has given them grants

jrw
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  16:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
flag trucks buying pallets of bottled water

SIngle-use plastic causes far more desecration than a telescope.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8305 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  16:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SIngle-use plastic causes far more desecration

Paper plates or washed dishes?
Plastic or styrofoam cups, or reusable?
Plastic forks, etc, or reusable?
Chem-toilets.

Times 2000 people, times 3 times a day.
Donít forget, all that waste is in protest of a zero waste facility.
Go to Top of Page

jrw
Da Kine

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  17:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knieft

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

OHA, no?

And still seeing flag trucks buying pallets of bottled water early morning. Watermelons, etc, ...

Cheers,
Kirt

Funny you see the trucks at Walmart I thought this was about the rights of Hawaiians why are they shopping at Walmart not Kta or Foodland Hawaii own business

jrw
Go to Top of Page

knieft
Punatic

1005 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  17:32:01  Show Profile  Visit knieft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by jrw[/i

Funny you see the trucks at Walmart I thought this was about the rights of Hawaiians why are they shopping at Walmart not Kta or Foodland Hawaii own business

jrw
[/quote]

I didnít mention Walmart or KTA or Foodland, but have seen it over the weeks and the last couple days from Pahoa to Hilo.

Doesnít really matter where.

Cheers,
Kirt
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
1762 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  17:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Food *is* free in Hawaii kalakoa, you must be doing something wrong.

2. OHA is giving them grants? No wonder they have such a good turnout. Where do I sign up for the TMT grants, I'll take some time off work to protest too!
Go to Top of Page

Frank
Kamaaina

993 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  18:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OHA is part of the Problem...they are broke...how does one disconnect to this extent? ya can't hav...yeah, 3 ways
Go to Top of Page

knieft
Punatic

1005 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  18:11:24  Show Profile  Visit knieft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank

OHA is part of the Problem...they are broke...how does one disconnect to this extent? ya can't hav...yeah, 3 ways

Sheesh,
Kirt
Go to Top of Page

ironyak
Punatic

USA
3084 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2019 :  18:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OHA isn't broke (unless you mean broken) but their extensive financial issues are of their own creation. Why do you think there are State audits and Federal investigations being done?
https://www.hawaiibusiness.com/whats-next-for-oha/

kalakoa already answered kirt's question - protestors create a situation, friends and family in law enforcement get paid overtime to "respond", other friends & family in government get to use the situation to justify additional revenue and hires, OHA takes state money and help fuel the situation. Why would any of the groups involved want to find a resolution? (the money is all coming from someone else)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page