Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Are there other “sacred” mountains in the world
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 3

EightFingers
Punatic

USA
2620 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  13:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where they wouldn’t allow a telescope to be built on?
I’m thinking of something like Mt Fuji, or Mt Denali.
Of course, these would be unsuitable, but what if they were?

Puna: Our roosters crow first

terracore
Punatic

5854 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  13:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every mountain is sacred to somebody. It's one of the reasons they got McKinley renamed to native name Denali.
Go to Top of Page

Kaimana
Da Kine

337 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  13:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Zealand gave human rights to one of their mountains. https://www.newsweek.com/human-rights-mountain-maori-people-mount-taranaki-757237
Go to Top of Page

Durian Fiend
Kamaaina

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  14:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure. Nanga Parbat, Machapuchare and Kailash in the Himalayas.

No one is allowed on summit of the first and I don't believe you're allowed at all on the second.

Don't know about Kailash. It's probably off limits too.
Go to Top of Page

jrw
Da Kine

USA
497 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  14:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mountain in Maui.

jrw
Go to Top of Page

BillyB
Da Kine

242 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  17:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fissure 8: to Harry Kim
Go to Top of Page

Carey
Punatic

7055 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  08:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, most mountains & mountain ranges do have some cultural & religious significance to the indigenous peoples (even the "main stream" religions have names & revered mountains in their texts)

I find it odd that some of those who oppose the telescopes on Mauna Kea for cultural & sacred reasons have called for the projects to be moved to another place, often calling for the telescopes to go to the astronomy park on Las Palmas, in the Canary Islands, as that mountain has a very strong cultural & sacred meaning for the indigenous peoples there,
Rising above those telescopes, on the rim of the volcanic crater in Caldera de Taburiente National Park, is Roque Idafe, believed to be a pillar holding up the sky, with the telescopes of the Roque de los Muchachos Observatory situated very close to the summit.
If these protestors are truly for all indigenous cultures, did they just miss this very significant sacred mountain, or is it more of a NIMBY-ism, as the protestors that are against the telescopes on Mauna Kea for environmental reasons, but have signed petitions for them to be on other mountains.

Edited by - Carey on 08/17/2019 08:37:19
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

5854 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  08:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carey nailed it. If one really believes in their argument, what they are saying is that telescopes can't be built anywhere. No mountain is more "sacred" than another, it's only the point of view of the person stating their opinion.

So why stop at telescopes, and why stop at mountains? As previously mentioned people have been fighting bloody wars over every inch of "sacred land" in the middle east for thousands of years. But it's not about what they are building on the land, it's about who is building it.
Go to Top of Page

glassnumbers
Da Kine

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  08:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Rock,_Victoria

I wonder where Miranda Reid is right now, I hope she's okay... (she's the lady who disappeared back in the 1900's in that area. OR DID SHE?!) Anyways, that's another example of a holy mountain :)

Aloha :)
Go to Top of Page

Old Croc
Da Kine

202 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  13:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soviet airspace was/is sacred according to Gromyko. The passengers and crew of KAL007 paid for their intrusion with their lives. I hope Mauna Kea doesn't pass that threshold where murder becomes justified.

Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  16:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Soviet airspace was/is sacred according to Gromyko. The passengers and crew of KAL007 paid for their intrusion with their lives. I hope Mauna Kea doesn't pass that threshold where murder becomes justified."

or mustard gas! What a horrible mistake the mayor made .
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Terracore post
Carey nailed it. If one really believes in their argument, what they are saying is that telescopes can't be built anywhere. No mountain is more "sacred" than another, it's only the point of view of the person stating their opinion."
no arguing with the logic......but I believe the original story was that the indigenous were not opposed to TMT being built on Canary Island & It was very surprising to me to read the recent stories of opposition by environmental groups.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  16:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only the point of view of the person stating their opinion

Just another way to NIMBY, really.
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  17:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Just another way to NIMBY, really."

And what is wrong with this? Really! Do we have any influence on what Chile does ? Maine, Texas?
Hellp....I can't stand the news from Oahu, part of MY State, once MY Island...

But what could little ol' me do about it? I miss what it was and Oahu has become more & more unrecognizable.

What influence do each of us have in our own backyard? Well, none of course if we choose not to exercise it. I do stand up for certain issues here....but even standing up for the Puna community can be a full time job, not to mention the rest of the East side.

I believe we ALL should stand up for some small corner of our community and also believe what the protesters are saying is much more complex than NIMBY.
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  19:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the real issue is the government here is incompetent and self-serving and perpetuates a welfare state that leads to lots of people with dim prospects and low self-esteem. People in that situation are more susceptible to radical causes, because it gives their lives meaning and shifts the blame for failure.

Back to the topic, though, the most sacred mountains in the world are the Mons Veneris. They can be found on every continent, though you may venture there only with the permission of their keepers.

Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  19:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss what it was and Oahu has become more & more unrecognizable.

Many people seem to believe that there was once an ideal time in a perfect place where everything was just fine and if we could just turn back time and freeze the world at exactly that point ... how wonderful and happy it would all be.

Unfortunately our experience of time is trapped in a linear progression. There is no going in the direction we would think of as "back".

The real problem is obviously that too many people live here. We should have a cap on the total population. Right after my friends move here.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8315 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  20:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I miss what it was
There is no going in the direction we would think of as "back".

The good old days are a subjective memory, often a misremembered memory.

but I believe the original story was that the indigenous were not opposed to TMT being built on Canary Island

Yes, and the protestors' grasp of history left out a certain detail. The Spanish killed the original occupants of the Canary Islands leaving little possibility for opposition to anything some centuries later. That's the real deal in oppression and colonization, not "sign here."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page