Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Donate
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 the end of Public Small Boat Harbors in Hawaii ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  15:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following information from
Robert Duerr
Senior Member Outdoor Writers of America Association:

On June 26th the Wailoa River and Reeds Bay Boating Association (The Association) filed a Petition for a Contested Case on the Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation Mooring and Ramp Fee Increase Rate Package. The Petition will be Agenda Item J-1 at the BLNR Meeting
Aug 9, 2019 beginning at 9 a.m.

This Rate Package is the first step in a coordinated attempt by DLNR

to privatize all Small Boat Harbors in Hawaii.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Meeting was Postponed.

Please pass this on to all who might be interested . Thanks

----------------------------------------------

The Board of Land and Natural Resource has rescheduled the hearing of our Petition for contest Case to Aug 23 at 9 am. I am planning on attending as Spokesperson for the Association. Kiko Johnston-Kitazawa of Kiko Canoe Sailing has said that he attend to testify as well.

Legal Defense Fund. To date there are commitments for $2200 for a Boating legal defense fund. Others have expressed an interest. To defray travel costs, we are looking for a flexible/affordable Oahu attorney. No decision on whether to proceed has been made.

Submit Testimony. Send your NO FEE INCREASE TESTIMONY. Written testimony submitted via
fax: (808) 587-0390 Attn: Board
e-mail: blnr.testimony@hawaii.gov
mail: Department of Land and Natural Resources
Attn: Board Members
1151 Punchbowl Street, Room 130,
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813.

dan d
Punatic

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  19:56:23  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry if i dont agree with u. After spending 27 years here working in the most defunct and disfunctual division of harbors in my 27 yrs here as a boat builder and ocean user.
All harbors managers maui and here were implicated in missdedes. One moved to kona after being kicked out of maui.

Gov lingle had hoped to privatise the entire harbor system.( FUNNY AS IT HAPPENED AT KOOLINA RESORT, A REAL HARBOR NICE LAUCH RAMP ,FLOATING DOCKS,ITS WAS GIVEN TO KOLINA BY THE GOV. 6 MO LATER THE CLOSED ALL RAMP USE U LESS U WERE A TENANT OF KOOLINAA.,FUNNY)NO PUBLIC USE

Good idea as its been crap the hole time i been here. I had never seen a harbor with only a 2 ft tidal change with NO FLOATING DOCKS. This may ne nothing to u but u never been tying ur boat up in hawaii in a mooring. A moring is tying the back of ur boat to an anchor in da mud behind ur boat. And. A spring line to the dock u pull in and jump aboard with trepidation.

I would hapily pay 300 a month to get a real floating dock electricity. A sewer pump out station( required by coast guard in harbor.) Even most marinas have phone and infernet.

Yes the harbors have continued to go down the toilet, no hope in site. Millions of dollars generated by Honokohau harbor per yr to the general fund. 100k to fund it per yr?

Not so if privatly owned and opperated.

Look at almar all over west coast 30 yrs no probs
Anchors away
Diver dan

HPP

Edited by - dan d on 08/11/2019 20:01:45
Go to Top of Page

Hapunatic
malihini

53 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2019 :  13:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
27 yrs here as a boat builder

Do you do fiberglass repair?
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2019 :  19:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan,
"Sorry if i dont agree with u. After spending 27 years here working in the most defunct and disfunctual division of harbors in my 27 yrs here as a boat builder and ocean user.
All harbors managers maui and here were implicated in missdedes
"Gov lingle had hoped to privatise the entire harbor system.( FUNNY AS IT HAPPENED AT KOOLINA RESORT, A REAL HARBOR NICE LAUCH RAMP ,FLOATING DOCKS

,ITS WAS GIVEN TO KOLINA BY THE GOV.
6 MO LATER THE CLOSED ALL RAMP USE U LESS U WERE A TENANT OF KOOLINAA.,FUNNY)"

NO PUBLIC USE"....."

---------------------------------------
To the contrary , Dan, I do agree with you! almost everything you say here. We are looking at outrageous increases in fees WITHOUT any promise of anything improving. As you say, "dysfunctional" is kind.

As the letter suggests, the rate increase is most likely a precursor to privatizing.
I wish I had your faith that privatization of our public land would mean better services without excluding the public at large, but I suspect it will most likely evolve into the Ko Olina scenario that you yourself acknowledged.
Go to Top of Page

glassnumbers
Da Kine

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  05:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey we got a boat ramp down here at south point ya'll can use :) yeehaw *tips hat, rides off into the Ka'u hills on horseback*

Aloha :)
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Punatic

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  06:26:09  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Glass, perhaps u can teach me how to launch there.

HPP
Go to Top of Page

glassnumbers
Da Kine

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  07:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen it! you tow your boat in backwards onto the ramp, then just let it slide in.

Aloha :)
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Punatic

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2019 :  20:06:00  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was deffinately funny glass. Actually seen almost any kine launch at the
Lanch ramp at Marina del rey, one day saw the capn of a 30 ft bayliner backin d9wn the ramp behind a huge m9tor h9me. Hea g8nving it full throttle reverse, shes backin down. Hes screaming back down, shes backin down, all of a sudden , hes free and backs harder.
The entire huge motor home goes in the drink up to the windows.

The boat was never unhooked from trailer. The plug wasntput in the transom, now the boat is sinking.

Wala a sunday at the launch ramp, marina del rey Calif . Always a fun day.
Aloha

HPP
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

694 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2019 :  09:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hapunatic,

Re: your link above,

Coconut wireless, word gets around.
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Punatic

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  05:32:12  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
U can make fun of me as much as u like hap.

For ur info since. U want to troll me. My shop Starwind marine of 25 yrs here on the Bi
Burnedt to the ground in 2006. Several peps had there uninsured boat in my shop at the time. 7 were burnt to the ground.
My losses 300k

Did i stop fixing boats. No. Was i allowed to finish building the alleged pissed off boaters boat? No.

He had me ship it unfinished, open panels which filled with water in route to oahu.

I lost my shop, i had to take out a 50 k loan to survive. Had to move to hilo wher i could almost afford it. Im still not recovered finacillay. Fm it.

Over 20 years i serviced countless hundreds of them.

Did i piss a few off? Of course. Havent u?

I was allways truith ful. And 90 % of custs came away with a happy face.

I was told many times , i didnt charge enough for my work. Im the best marine mechanic in the entire state. One of the best in calif before i moved here in 93.

Read the coconut wireless. Wonder what it might say about u?
Savy now?
How much u got in ur savings?
0 in mines

HPP
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Punatic

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  05:37:10  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh , but u were insured rite? Commonly asked
Insurance, 95 k
Clean up costs 10 k

Losses 356k
Went to litigation against the hamakua mac nut co which started the fire. By not cleaning up there pile of mac nuts.

5 yrs later forced to go arbitratio,

Forced to settle for 5% of loss.

Found out later cust leined my house for 11 k.
Yep got royally screwed by that.

Lawer got his 150 k tho

HPP
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Punatic

USA
1063 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  05:39:15  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have at least 500 happy cust would tell u the truith.

HPP
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page