Punatalk
Punatalk
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Donate
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 Shou sugi ban in the tropics?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

Thronester
malihini

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  09:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Letís stir the pot. Just wondering if anyone has seen or had luck with shou sugi ban in Hawaii. Shou sugi ban is the Japanese technique of charring the outside of cedar with a weed torch then treating with oil for a finish that in Japan lasts for 100 years. Itís waterproof and from what Iíve read looking around on the internet, is also termite resistant. Anyone wanna burn up some expensive cedar with me?! LOL

Mangosteen
Da Kine

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2020 :  16:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Different climates might produce different results.

Probably take a couple of years at least to see the difference between treated and non treated cedar; I believe all wood is going to rot at some point on the East Side.

I'd stick with non wood alternatives, like the ones offered by Castleblock.

http://castleblock.com/
Go to Top of Page

My 2 cents
Kamaaina

765 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  07:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oil is a beautiful finish with a very soft and natural look. Most anywhere else it would be my preferred choice, but I stopped using it here decades ago because of its tendency to mildew.
Go to Top of Page

BillyB
Da Kine

273 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  08:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather would char the end of fence posts and dip them in linseed oil for fences in the north east. That goes back 100 years I know of. I am sure he did not originate it. Black Locus was the desired wood there.
Go to Top of Page

Thronester
malihini

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  11:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by BillyB

My grandfather would char the end of fence posts and dip them in linseed oil for fences in the north east. That goes back 100 years I know of. I am sure he did not originate it. Black Locus was the desired wood there.
[/quote

Thatís interesting. I think shou sugi ban started in the 18th century
Go to Top of Page

Thronester
malihini

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  11:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by My 2 cents

Oil is a beautiful finish with a very soft and natural look. Most anywhere else it would be my preferred choice, but I stopped using it here decades ago because of its tendency to mildew.



Yeah thatís what I was thinking would be one of the drawbacks to trying it would be that itís difficult to wipe down. Especially if itís all charred up. I guess you could hit it with the torch again!
Go to Top of Page

Thronester
malihini

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  11:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mangosteen

Different climates might produce different results.

Probably take a couple of years at least to see the difference between treated and non treated cedar; I believe all wood is going to rot at some point on the East Side.

I'd stick with non wood alternatives, like the ones offered by Castleblock.

http://castleblock.com/



Castleblock has some really good stuff. I was thinking about trying this for more artistic projects.
Go to Top of Page

MarkP
Punatic

2341 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2020 :  13:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black locust fence posts lasts decades without treatment.
Go to Top of Page

bgiles
Da Kine

114 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2020 :  05:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father and I replaced his mailbox post with black locust; he died in 1993. Can't remember how many years before....black locust has sweet smelling flowers but suckers and has thorns. Post is still rock-solid.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06