Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Farming and Gardening in Puna
 My mature avocado tree is dropping all it's leaves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9990 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  18:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen it do this before like this. For a week its been a steady flow of leaves hitting the lawn. I raked it off five times now. What is left on the branches are a massive amount of buds which look healthy as can be.

Is this normal? Anyone?

Carey
Punatic

7088 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  21:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ours are not losing leaves..
Have you looked for evidence of the Queensland Longhorn Beetle?
It kills trees by tunneling the sap-wood just below the bark & can girdle limbs or trunks very quickly (days to a week)
Go to Top of Page

EightFingers
Punatic

USA
2774 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2020 :  22:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one that drops almost all itís leaves every year and they always come back. It doesnít produce any avos, I keep the tree only for shade (when it decides to provide it). I donít know the species since itís only produced one avo in six years.

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Go to Top of Page

Mangosteen
Da Kine

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2020 :  12:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I haven't seen it do this before like this. For a week its been a steady flow of leaves hitting the lawn. I raked it off five times now. What is left on the branches are a massive amount of buds which look healthy as can be.

Is this normal? Anyone?

Do you mean you raked the leaves out from under the tree? Best to leave those leaves where they fall. They are mulch and contain vital nutrients for the tree.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9990 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2020 :  14:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tree is maybe 50 years old. I have some lawn under about 25% of it's canopy. There are avos nearby with full leaf.
Go to Top of Page

kalianna
Da Kine

475 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2020 :  17:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the leaves still on the tree. The longhorn beetles seems to kill the leaves from the inside out, so centers would be green and edges brown.
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

6245 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  16:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would test the soil and see if the pH is off enough such that the tree is unable to uptake nutrients.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9990 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2020 :  18:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The leaves that are down are brown from the stem following the veins in the leaf. It's an old tree. If beetles are getting it I will just have to watch it go. I did find that a banyon was rooting on it and cut that back.

Thanks for your input everyone. Since no one else seems to have the problem I am resigned to watch it and just see what happens. There are massive buds on it which look fine.
Go to Top of Page

spencerw

33 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  07:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on our property we have about 8-10 50' avo trees all in one cluster. seems every other year each tree drop all their leaves during flowering. they still produce abundant amounts of avos year after year. and begin to produce leaves again as normal, and will be fully vegetated again soon. i think they are just giving themselves a mulching. been noticing it almost 4 years in a row now. ive also been noticing it a lot as i drive around. some trees are completely leaf-less others with drastic reduced foliage and some looking pretty normal. maybe just genetics?
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1747 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2020 :  05:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably what is happening to your avocado tree unfortunately:

https://www.biisc.org/qlb/

I'm seeing it in some of my trees and so are many of my neighbors. They are attacking some of my older citrus too. Look for damage on the trunk with holes from the boring larvae and what might appear to be sawdust coming out of the holes.
Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Da Kine

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  22:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another disease to be on the alert for.

The Hawaii Dept of Ag confirmed that my friend's tree is infested with the relatively new Avocado Lace Bug Disease. You may not see the bug but the colony of eggs (tiny black specks) on the underside of the leaves is visible. Leaves begin to brown on the edges and start dropping off.

https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/post/eradication-probably-out-question-new-invasive-bug-attacks-avocados#stream/0
Go to Top of Page

1voyager1
Kamaaina

USA
906 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  13:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3 younger 4 to 6 year old avocados, a Sharwil, a Lamb Hass, and an Ota.
I have been concerned that all three are showing excessive leaf loss.

We've had unusual things happen since the eruption:

many Black Witch moths

Many Humming Bird moths

Inundated with rats - Between having bait boxes and cats, it's been more of a problem for the neighbors than us, but our numbers are up.

Chinese Hibiscus infested with mites

Bunchy Banana Top infections

and a few others

I will check the trees out for beetles, bugs and else, then get back.

EDIT:

The Sharwil and Lamb Hass leaves are definitely showing sucking damage.
From websites and pdf's, it looks to be Lace Wing damage.
The Ota looks to be OK so far.
I'll try spraying Neem Oil and see what happens.

EDIT the EDIT:
I have sprayed the Sharwil.
The tree is getting pretty big and I'm getting lazy, so I mixed a 1 gal 2% solution [well, OK, maybe as much as 4% by eyeballing it] and sprayed the ground under the tree's drip line, the whole gallon.
the tree will absorb the neem oil and it should be effective against sucking insects because it will be systemic.
I will spray again in about 2 weeks, then, maybe again.

Edited by - 1voyager1 on 03/28/2020 16:59:27
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page