Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Puna Community Development Plan (PCDP)
 What does this mean ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

viviansuet
Da Kine

135 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  11:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odd Change ? Who really asked for it, show survey results proving majority asked for change-transparency ? And what does it really mean-consequences ? Can someone please explain. Mahalo.

Public meeting Thursday July 2nd, 9am Hilo Aupuni Center.
Article:
In anticipation of future growth in Keaau,
The amendment would apply to 587 acres makai of Highway 11 and designate most of Keaau as medium density urban, a classification currently limited to 52 acres of land in the commercial area.

The Windward Planning Commission will consider the proposal — which won’t impact existing residential neighborhoods — at its July 2 meeting in Hilo.
But if adopted, residents might not see major changes to the town anytime soon.

Daryn Arai, county planning program manager, said the amendment would change the county’s general plan but would not impact zoning.
He said the purpose of the change is to help the county plan for future demands on public services. “It changes the guidance,” Arai said.

The area impacted includes 112 acres of land designated as important agriculture land and 475 acres that is labeled low density urban.
Arai said the proposal is in response to a request from the County Council to amend parts of Keaau’s land use map that are not consistent with the Puna Community Development Plan.
The medium density designation could eventually allow for apartment units and village commercial types of development.
Arai said medium density is more restrictive than the “urban expansion” category that was being considered. He said that would have allowed for industrial development, which residents said they didn’t want in that area.

The Planning Commission meeting begins at 9 a.m. in the Aupuni Center Conference Room, 101 Pauahi St.

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9836 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  14:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is Bill Walter's work. Bill is CEO of Shipman Ltd., the largest landowner in Puna. Most of the council and the mayor dance to his tune.
Go to Top of Page

rainyjim
Punatic

2079 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2015 :  15:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I'm all for more development in Puna...

Keaau is basically adjacent to Hilo and I think a different location could be better - kurtistown for one or somewhere abouts HPP/Orchidland - Hilo side of Pahoa to say the least.

Not much to go on accept an assumption that Bill Walter owns the land to be improved!

Alohas.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  13:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Biggest problem with Keaau urbanization as proposed: congestion.

help the county plan for future demands on public services ... medium density designation could eventually allow for apartment units and village commercial

All of this new traffic will have to flow through the 11/130 interchange. On the plus side, when it takes long enough to drive to Hilo, maybe we'll get some development mauka.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9836 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  14:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the traffic going through the 11/130 interchange is precisely what Shipman LTD. wants. They have a major shopping center in their master plan for that location. So over the years past, present and future millions of taxpayer dollars will be spent to support that Shipman vision... and constant efforts are maintained to deflect any planning that might lead elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  14:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the traffic going through the 11/130 interchange is precisely what Shipman LTD. wants.

In this scenario the traffic doesn't really "go through", it just sort of sits there.

Might as well live on Oahu.
Go to Top of Page

Chunkster
Punatic

2085 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  21:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who's figured out that the Puna CDP was a cruel and complicated joke played by the good old boys on a lot of earnest people who thought they were really doing something? As for the Action Committee tasked with implementing the CDP, well, it's just a joke, plain and simple. Slow boat to nowhere.
Go to Top of Page

rainyjim
Punatic

2079 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  22:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope a lot of us are onboard with that realization - see every government agency in Hawaii for similar method.
Go to Top of Page

viviansuet
Da Kine

135 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2015 :  22:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  08:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for the Action Committee tasked with implementing the CDP, well, it's just a joke

The requirement was that a Plan be created, not that it acutally be implemented.

Here, let me move the deck chairs around for a better view.
Go to Top of Page

punaticbychoice
Punatic

1187 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  11:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kalakoa:
Maybe some of us are just hopeless incurable cynics about politics and economics in our paradise.
Some of us bring in a bunch of money from outside Hawaii and Hawai'i and like the 57,000 lots in Puna, feel we are just a tax and economic mining operation too.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12429 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2015 :  11:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of us bring in a bunch of money from outside Hawaii

I, too, enjoy the honor and privilege of paying GET on my gross receivables, at which point the tax revenue vanishes into the State machinery, never to be heard from again.

Perhaps if I work harder, and pay more taxes, the State will be able to afford that shiny new Rail To Nowhere over on Oahu. I hope they post pictures when it's finished.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page