Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Home made PPE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

geochem
Kamaaina

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  17:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since stores are completely sold out, here are a couple of how-to videos for making surgical masks using readily available materials:

https://www.consumer.org.hk/ws_en/news/specials/2020/mask-diy-tips.html

https://maidsailors.com/blog/how-to-make-a-surgical-mask/

and hand sanitizer:
https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer

alaskyn66
Punatic

1596 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  18:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much better idea than my idea of wearing my old underwear on my head.
Go to Top of Page

Iju
Da Kine

358 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  20:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this video and have made a few. It's a how to make a no-sew face mask from a square sheet of fabric. Although I don't understand Japanese language, it's easy to follow her instruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJhGLFNujo
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
8881 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  20:59:30  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Much better idea than my idea of wearing my old underwear on my head."

Perhaps, but you have the technique wrong. You need to wrap it around your mouth and nose, not on top of your head. It's also a significant social-distancing tool.
Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

2077 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  21:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If itís not a Niosh approved filter, why not just a bandanna.
Go to Top of Page

My 2 cents
Kamaaina

765 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  23:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because people will think it's a hold-up.
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
2095 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  06:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read a study: Two layers of kitchen towel are almost equivalent to N95 filter (if properly snug around the perimeter) but much harder to breathe through. Two layers of cotton T-shirt are 70-something percent (from memory). A bandana was 40-something percent. Most important is it conforms to your nose and face so air doesn't just go in/out the sides.
Go to Top of Page

Punaperson
Da Kine

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  18:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't think of this until I tried to weed whack in between the rain showers today.

I have a full face shield that MIGHT be useful in this situation. I originally got this type to protect against all the dog poop at the top of my driveway when I cut the grass. It fits over the top of my head, well behind my ears, and I've always griped that it fogs up because it doesn't have great air circulations because it goes so low down my neck to my chest. I got it at Ace Hardware. I know it is not medical grade useful, but it does seem to keep a decent sized barrier between me and the aerosolized dog poop - it definately keeps things out of my eyes, ears, face, and hair ( what I have left ! ). I've read that the virus can enter through not only the nose/mouth mucus membranes, but also through the eyes. And while it looks strange, it will definitely remind you not to touch your face. Maybe combining this with a nose/mouth face mask will give a bit more protection to those who have pre-exising conditions but still have to go out for necessities.
Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Da Kine

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  22:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iju

I like this video and have made a few. It's a how to make a no-sew face mask from a square sheet of fabric. Although I don't understand Japanese language, it's easy to follow her instruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJhGLFNujo

I like all the videos, but for this one, couldn't you re-wash it since it is fabric (will be using it for woodworking)?

Go to Top of Page

EightFingers
Punatic

USA
2774 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  22:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
COVID19-style origami!

Puna: Our roosters crow first
Go to Top of Page

ironyak
Punatic

USA
3687 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  06:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
taropatch - I like all the videos, but for this one, couldn't you re-wash it since it is fabric (will be using it for woodworking)?

If you turn on auto-translated closed captions (what a time to be alive), she mentions at the end to wash the masks in the dirty bag for reuse. Another tip from the translated captions is that the small stretchy rings of fabric are cut pantyhose.

Sensible, reusable, and creative mask culture - the WHO can go suck a lemon.
Go to Top of Page

geochem
Kamaaina

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  07:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damn... give that woman a prize - that is the best mask-making video I've seen. Quick, simple, no sewing machine, just a pair of scissors and repurposed pantyhose. and you can disassemble and wash with regular laundry if you want. One other option for sterilization, you can wash and then put in a ziplock container and microwave them - don't have to incinerate them, just get them hot to the touch: (~80F minimum) is supposed to be able to kill the virus but I'd go to 120F to 130F to be safe.

ETA: thanks for the auto-translate tip - who knew??? ain't technology wonderful.

Edited by - geochem on 03/26/2020 07:34:51
Go to Top of Page

Iju
Da Kine

358 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  19:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you for the auto-translate tip.

Go to Top of Page

Punaperson
Da Kine

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  18:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My internet connection is usually fair to poor, so I am hoping that someone with a better connection will be able to search for an answer to my question.

I have been making face masks that I can combine with my weedwhacker face shield ( which I can spray with disinfectant ) to protect that aspect of things.

I have read that the virus can live for 4 days on plastic/other surfaces. I have been hanging my limited supply of gloves, some latex, some garden gloves with
latex finger/palm parts and knit backs, on my newly set up clothes line ( away from my house ) for 4-5 days, on the assumption that if any virus had been picked up, it would have died before I re-use the gloves. If anyone can lead me to research that lets me know if this is a practical way of dealing with a shortage of gloves, or just wishful thinking , I appreciate.

Edited by - Punaperson on 03/29/2020 18:39:51
Go to Top of Page

ironyak
Punatic

USA
3687 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  18:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JAMA has some info on best practices for PPE reuse. 4-5 days of exposure to sun and moisture is probably sufficient, but a quick rinse with disinfectant (bleach solution probably the most readily available) would make sure.*
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2764031

*Note this does not work with N95 respirators that rely on static charge for their effectiveness. Do not use alcohol or bleach disinfectants on them. Instead 10 minutes of boiling water vapor for cleaning is the best option detailed so far.
https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fstanfordmedicine.box.com%2Fv%2Fcovid19-PPE-1-1
Go to Top of Page

Punaperson
Da Kine

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  06:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ironyak - your posts are always solid. I'll try spraying a latex glove with a bleach solution after they've been hanging - wasn't sure if that would work, or ruin it with holes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page