Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 Where to buy trailer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

Seeb
Punatic

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  13:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a small road legal trailer like you carry an atv or lawnmower on . Any ideas where to get on this side

Edited by - Seeb on 04/10/2017 22:22:40

terracore
Punatic

3641 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  16:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen them at Home Depot.
Go to Top of Page

tada
Kamaaina

658 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  20:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check Carey's message-

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23109&SearchTerms=Troy,trailers
Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  21:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Home Depot has a couple month waiting list and I tried Troy's and they said since Matson charges them $1500 per to ship they don't bother with small ones
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

3641 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  11:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple months waiting list isn't actually that long (for here). People have waited longer for an oven.
Go to Top of Page

H22
Da Kine

112 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  16:26:42  Show Profile  Visit H22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i ordered two from the Hilo Home Depot recently and they were available the next day.

Was nervous as heck towing them up to Mountain View. But they seem decent, no huge problems. Getting them inspected however seemed next to impossible.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Punatic

8312 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  08:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting them inspected however seemed next to impossible.

Say more? Special safety check station for trailers?

Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

3641 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  17:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't pass an inspection without a plate, and you can't get a plate without passing an inspection. I can't remember what level of bureaucratic hell this one falls into but this might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l482T0yNkeo&t=0m47s
Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  19:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
\

So what's the trick to get one registred
Go to Top of Page

H22
Da Kine

112 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  03:36:21  Show Profile  Visit H22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would make an appointment with an inspection station. And you need to make sure that it's one that can accommodate a trailer. I couldn't find one-- my trailers are intended mostly for off-public road use, so I gave up (and also gave up the possibility of any off-the-farm use in the future).

The State people were clear that an inspection is needed first.
Go to Top of Page

JustinK

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  09:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does seem like a strange setup to register, I had to call to figure out what to do. Bought my trailer at HD. Took it to Lex Brodie's in Pahoa (didn't have an appointment, it only takes them 10 minutes), they inspect and give you a temporary safety inspection. Took that across the street to the Vehicle Registration & Licensing office (DMV) and register to get your plates. Took the registration back across the street to Lex Brodie's and they gave safety inspection sticker. Took around 75 minutes, wasn't too bad.

If you are looking for a nicer trailer I recently got some quotes at Allied Machinery (Shipman's Business Park). They carry Great Northern trailers from Oregon, seem to be well built from what I could tell. They have a small dump trailer 5' x 10', electronic brakes, built in ramps, quoted me $5,200 and had them in stock. Here is the details: http://www.gntrailers.com/pdf/dump_5kmini.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  12:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got one. On to the registration part
Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  10:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lady at DMV was even nice

Thanks all
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

3641 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  17:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity, what did Lex Brodie inspect on the trailer? How much was the registration?

"Took around 75 minutes, wasn't too bad."

I had to go through a similar process when I bought a car without plates. The ironic thing was that we asked a cop friend of ours if I would get pulled over for driving the car without plates to the inspection station and was told yes, pulled over and ticketed (if seen). Then the question became, how can I legally get a car without plates to an inspection station? The only answer seemed, getting the plateless car towed to the inspection was the only legal way to get it there.

How does that logic transfer to a plateless trailer which by definition has to be towed? I guess you'd have to get a flatbed truck large enough to fit the trailer on the bed and have it trucked over there. Or even better yet, you could hire a truck with a larger, but legal trailer to put your smaller "no plate / illegal" trailer on it.

Or just do what I did, hope you don't get ticketed for getting caught in the act of trying to make your thing road legal.

eta: content

Edited by - terracore on 04/20/2017 17:10:57
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Punatic

8312 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  18:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
getting the plateless car towed to the inspection

...by someone's uncle's towing company.

Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  19:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lex Brodie just checked the lights trailer was to small to have brakes. Almost choked at the registration fee it was $95 for a 5x8 400lbs trailer. No one had any logical solution to having to move it with no tags catch22.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page