Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Farming and Gardening in Puna
 Snails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

donnie1354

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  22:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What can I about the snails in my yard? Is there a product out there that will kill them and is safe to use around pets. I've tried a couple of snail pellets but they don't work. How do I keep them from climbing up my water catchment tank?

Carey
Punatic

6584 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  23:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been using Worry Free Slug & snail bait with good snail response
For more (both ancient & recent info, here is this thread from a month ago:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9311
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

3641 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  17:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best method we found is to get up early in the morning while they are still out and stomp them. It's pretty amazing at how quickly it makes their numbers plummet. Sometimes when you stomp the females you can see the dozens of eggs she was about to lay. Stomp those too, just in case.

As for the catchment tank (or side of the house, car, etc) just knock them off with a stick and stomp away.

After a couple of mornings you can reduce your stomping to weekly, and eventually monthly.

Also the snails love rat bait, and they gravitate to the rat bait stations for hiding during the day. The bait doesn't harm them but whenever I check the rat bait stations I have stomping to do.
Go to Top of Page

leilaniguy
Punatic

USA
1243 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  22:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's always a good idea to stomp on "GAL" shells, since they tend to lay eggs in the empty shells.
Go to Top of Page

Kenney
Kamaaina

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  08:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure wish everybody would stop stomping snails and slugs.( like I used to do until I was on the receiving end of a "scolding " from Dr. Jarvi's students)
It just kills the slugs/snails and releases the wormy things on the ground to be picked up by other mollusks.
Slug jug recommended! 1 1/4 cup salt to 1/2 gallon of water.

Damn. I will never eat an escargot again.
Go to Top of Page

MarkP
Punatic

1686 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  21:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised to hear that they can transfer to another slug. I thought that they had to be consumed by the slug while at an earlier stage of development.
Go to Top of Page

leilaniguy
Punatic

USA
1243 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  21:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was referring to empty shells, there are lots of them here in Kapoho. The snails like to lay eggs in the empty shells. They need to be destroyed. I've gathered the live ones up in a bucket with pool salt, very effective, they sizzle.
Go to Top of Page

Kenney
Kamaaina

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  08:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Leilaniguy. No disrespect intended.
Thanks for letting me know the empty shells are used as incubators by snails. Yuck.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page