Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Puna Politics
 The Hemp agenda
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

2liveque
Da Kine

454 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  12:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First the disclaimer: I believe in the wonderful hemp plant and its wonderful and many uses.

Second: I am fully aware that legalization of the hemp species: Canibus Sativa...may eventually lead to softening the trail for full, recreational legalization of hemp's "for fun" cousin.

Third: There is a wonderful political angle being played out where hemp advocates are touting legislators to "help farmers," and "save the land from real estate development."

However, no one is talking about the cross pollination issue. I would think this could be a problem for the 16,000 medicinal card holders....many in Puna who grow their own medicine of the seedless variety. I foresee a whole range of possible challenges from harassment of hemp farmers to class action lawsuit on behalf of medicinal card patients. Does anyone know if Russell or Joy had any thoughts around this issue? Economically speaking, what is it about Hawaii hemp that would make it as economically viable than hemp from China or India? In other words, how could a Hawaii hemp farmer succeed if other places can simply do it for much cheaper? Isn't this the equation that sunk sugar?

kalakoa
Punatic

9076 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  13:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points, but all irrelevant so long as marijuana is "Federally illegal".
Go to Top of Page

JustinK

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  14:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Society allows the widespread use of different types of genetically modified plants, that then cross pollinate. For example in Hawaii the transgenic papaya has basically ensured that any seed you harvest to replant is now transgenic and has DNA from the ringspot virus included. We even allow patents on modified plants and go a step further and let the holders of those patents sue neighboring crops that get invaded through pollination.

So using the way we handle GMOs as a precedent, I don't see any challenges getting very far.

Edited by - JustinK on 06/13/2017 15:01:31
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Punatic

9076 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  18:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the way we handle GMOs as a precedent

Exactly my point: who will hold the patents on this Federal felony?
Go to Top of Page

JustinK

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2017 :  07:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For years now people have already been patenting strains of cannabis and methods of breeding. With the value in these crops I believe the intellectual property wars will be on entire new levels.

Here is one article that links to some of the patents: https://qz.com/927649/the-us-government-grants-cannabis-patents-though-weed-is-illegal/
Go to Top of Page

leilanidude
Punatic

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  10:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has DNA from the ringspot virus included...
-----
False. Papaya already had the gene in it, which makes the papaya resistant to ring-spot. All they did at UH was to turn the gene, "on". It was present in the papaya before and still is. It is still the same papaya.
Go to Top of Page

JustinK

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  12:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe you are incorrect. Transgenic means "relating to or denoting an organism that contains genetic material into which DNA from an unrelated organism has been artificially introduced". Gonsalves (Cornell) created the SunUp transgenic papaya using the "gene gun" (biolistics). The process is taking DNA and "shooting" it into plant tissue (in this case I believe it was shell protein from the PRSV into the Papaya). It took them three years of shooting to succeed.
Go to Top of Page

Rene
Da Kine

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  04:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's at this moment that JustinK becomes the target of ridicule and bashing on Punaweb....you may now continue your regularly scheduled programming.
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Da Kine

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  09:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why bash? Interesting thread. Present all ideas and opinions. How long before the feds change and accept the state laws? Maybe when more than half the states in the union go the way of legalization like Colorado, Washing, Oregon, etc?
If laws are set against cross pollination then what kind of proximity will be used as a distance allowable? Pollen can travel for miles on an air current. The only real protection from cross pollination medical growers will have is when the operation is enclosed indoors.
We can disagree here, differ in opinion and even point out when people accidentally or intentionally make false statements. That's what online forums are for, fun. Lets not take anything too personally.
Go to Top of Page

punaticbychoice
Kamaaina

870 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  15:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EW @ 09:42:37-
Yes.
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

4090 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2017 :  17:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Pollen can travel for miles on an air current."

Here's a good article about air-pollinated plants: http://blog.seedsavers.org/blog/preventing-gmo-contamination-in-your-open-pollinated-corn
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page