Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Where have all the cockroaches gone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

terracore
Punatic

3911 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  16:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never saw many around the house, mainly because we took precautions for that. But I haven't seen a cockroach anywhere on the property since 2016. Have the chickens interrupted their life cycle? Was it the fire ant guy?

Don't get me wrong, I don't miss seeing cockroaches, but even when I'm in old pallet piles and stuff where fire ant guy never went but cockroaches loved I just don't see them and wonder if it's just me.

SoCal_to_Hawaii
Da Kine

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  19:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I am in lower, lower HPP on a half acre (meaning (a) it is dryer so probably fewer roaches, and (b) less land to pay attention to] and have never found one in the house. We have lived here for a year and a half and I have found some in the garage and seen a couple dying near the perimeter of the house. With that said, we are meticulous about spraying to keep stuff out. However, just in the past week I have come across two on the lanai that, as far as I am concerned, should not have been there. I wondered if they flew in. So, in my extremely limited experience the nasty buggers seem to be worse -- two on the lanai where they should not be (that is 2 suddenly in 1 week out of 78 weeks?).
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
5583 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  22:59:57  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Don't get me wrong, I don't miss seeing cockroaches, but even when I'm in old pallet piles and stuff where fire ant guy never went but cockroaches loved I just don't see them and wonder if it's just me."

Maybe you just moved them on. If so, thanks so much, I'll send you a bill. ;)

Three or four weeks ago I had them everywhere including the smaller young ones. Now I'm petless I decided to go down the chemical route and sprayed everywhere which seems to have done the job. However, I still get the large ones flying onto the lanai (and me). They are a pain. It's hard to dodge them because they don't seem to have any idea where they want to land and suspect even if they do, their flying skills aren't up to it. They head one way, you dodge, the next second they're going the other way and land somewhere inaccessible or on the back of your neck. Or on the laptop.
Go to Top of Page

leilanidude
Punatic

USA
2354 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  03:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No chickens here but also have done fire ant control for about 18 months as have almost all the neighbors. Have not had any cockroaches for a long, long time.
Go to Top of Page

geochem
Da Kine

USA
407 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  08:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that we can thank the little fire ants for the elimination of the roaches. I noticed that, as soon as the LFA started showing up, virtually all the other ant predecessors and the roaches pretty much disappeared...
Go to Top of Page

Kenney
Kamaaina

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  17:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadn't realized til I read your post Terricore, but I've hardly seen any for the past couple of years either. They used to be everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

dayna
Kamaaina

USA
900 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  06:36:10  Show Profile  Visit dayna's Homepage  Reply with Quote
eeeeeek! Terracore killed the biggest cockroach I've seen since moving here this morning. He swears it hissed as it was flying at his face.

Hopefully it didn't lay any eggs.

But yeah, one roach in a long time is no big deal. We used to seen them often.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page