Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 Bamboo homes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

Thronester

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  10:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha, Iím curious if anyone here lives in or has opinions about bamboo homes. Bamboo living among others have some pretty well built prefabricated homes. Iím more curious how they hold up after 10-20+ years. Iíve read about bambooís strength and resistance to termites and rot from various companies but looking for maybe more of an unbiased opinion or first hand experience with how these homes age in the puna area.
Thanks

kalakoa
Punatic

9435 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  09:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is more anecdotal than I would like, but: Kalani was importing their bamboo homes from Maui because the local bamboo home vendor had quality issues; since then they've gone back to conventional simply because it's cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

Durian Fiend
Da Kine

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  19:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bamboo has little resistance to termites and rot, except for Guadua species from S. America.

Nevertheless, I'd be interested in seeing a link to the prefab bamboo homes.
Go to Top of Page

rainyjim
Punatic

1815 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  20:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always wondered if there was some resin you could coat the bamboo with to protect from rot and termites but maintain the asthetic appeal.
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Kamaaina

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  20:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know someone who lived in a bamboo home and constantly dealt with mold issues. Way more so than the standard Puna shack with typical Puna mold.
Go to Top of Page

Thronester

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  10:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elysianwort. I know bamboo living treats their homes for termites but the mold is something I havenít thought about either.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

8930 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  11:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try taking a piece of bamboo and leaving it outside for a while. Simple test.
Go to Top of Page

Thronester

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  17:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Haha Good call! This company treats their bamboo with DOT borates which inhibits fungi growth, termites and claims they will last 50 years or more. If so, why arenít these beautiful homes more popular? Seems too good to be true!
http://bambooliving.com/index.php/why-bamboo/warranty-for-termites

Edited by - Thronester on 12/08/2017 17:32:22
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page