Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 Building a house
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

AlohaDave

34 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  14:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I've read the threads on the "house kit" companies.

1. I'm not impressed with the designs
2. The prices actually seem high for the "shell" versions.

I've actually looked at the Home Depot lumber prices (Hilo) and
from what I see, these companies are not giving you a deal.

So, here's the question:

Are there any local home plan companies who sell blueprints + a material list?

In the past I've used magazines who sell plans that are up to code in all 50 states, they're around $500 to $1000 with a material list and 5 sets of plans.

Anything local??

Dave

Edited by - AlohaDave on 02/02/2018 14:57:37

hoku

23 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  08:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honsador sold me a plan with a material list. Even though they encouraged me to buy my materials through them, they said I was free to shop around. And I was told they can customize a plan as well if not exactly what I was looking for.
Go to Top of Page

lquade
Kamaaina

980 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  13:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just remember plans have to be stamped by a hawaiian licensed architect. Honsador, HPM, argus, castle block, you could also check with local architects and see if any have plans to sell. but the code is getting ready for yet another update i hear so not sure how that fits in with your time frame... oh, by the way, home depots lumber is pretty much ****. the last house i built i did much better with argus and HPM as far as price and quality.
Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

1743 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  23:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donít try to reinvent the wheel unless you have lived here thru a couple wet seasons. The package house designs have a lot of experience gone in them. Unless you have a specific special need
Go to Top of Page

microage97
Da Kine

387 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  12:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and a structural engineer if post and pier or over 1800 sq ft.
Go to Top of Page

hilodiver
malihini

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  18:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave my contractor a sketch of what I wanted in a house. He had an architect that put it all together and made it happen! I am happy with my house even though there were a couple minor design flaws. One bathroom did not have a vent. Contractor said it was not required because there was a window! Gotta have the vents to prevent mildew. Also, all my bedroom doors had a pretty huge gap between the doors and the floor. Even if I had thick carpet, the gaps were a little too big. Good for air circulation, but they were just too big!

Aloha!
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page