Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 2018 Lava Flow Emergency Forum
 Cracks on highway 11
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

terracore
Punatic

5059 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  13:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From HPD-

CRACKS HAVE APPEARED ON HIGHWAY 11 (28-29 MILE MARKER)

Where is that exactly?

JG-HPP
Da Kine

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  14:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right around the entry to the park and a skosh towards Volcano.
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
1203 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  14:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presumably cracks from deflation?
Go to Top of Page

Chunkster
Punatic

1808 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  14:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't there been signs up there for many years saying something like "Caution, Cracks May Form?" I remember that freaking out a visiting cousin.
Go to Top of Page

LazyLehua
malihini

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  14:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cracks are right outside the entrance to the park. There are many faults in that area and there was a 3.5 earthquake today in that area...plus dozens of others in the 2.0 range.
Go to Top of Page

Amrita
Da Kine

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hvo latest advisory the entire caldera floor has dropped 3 feet. sure hoping history is not repeating itself:

"Caldera collapse 2,200 years ago ushered in 1,200 years of explosive eruptions
Since K#299;lauea's surface is dominantly covered by young deposits, only the eruption record of the past 2,500 years is suitably well-known. Effusive lava flows were the norm until about 2,200 years ago, when the Powers caldera formed—the precursor to the present-day summit caldera. The caldera collapsed to a depth of at least 620 m (2030 ft), where magma and external water interacted to trigger powerful phreatomagmatic (water plus magma) eruptions. Numerous explosive eruptions lasted for a period of about 1,200 years, producing the Uwekahuna tephra. Sometime between 850 and 950 CE, the most powerful explosive eruption known to have occurred from K#299;lauea sent rocks weighing 4.4 kg (9.7 lbs) at least 5 km (3 mi) from the summit. Golf ball-sized rocks fell at the coast, 18 km (11 mi) away."
Go to Top of Page

glinda
Kamaaina

USA
767 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LazyLehua

The cracks are right outside the entrance to the park. There are many faults in that area and there was a 3.5 earthquake today in that area...plus dozens of others in the 2.0 range.

Actually that area, right outside the park entrance (where the toll booths are) on highway 11 is still in the caldera. Even though one might think they are outside of it, because when you go into the park, let's say at the Volcano House, it appears as if you are outside looking down into the caldera. But, if you look closely, in the forested strip on the other side of the highway from the entrance, you'll notice a cliff face, maybe 30 - 40 yards into the forest, that marks the actual caldera boundary. As such, assuming the entire caldera is unsupported and slumping, those cracks would be reasonable.

Another place you can see this boundaries of the caldera is when you drive into the Volcano Golf Course. As you turn off highway 11 you make a little S shape curve and rise a little before the road flattens out and goes by the clubhouse. Anything inside of that line is fair game for slumping while this event continues.

If they close highway 11 this will turn into a real fiasco quick. The folks in the Golf Course Subdivision will have a real hard time. Talk about screwed.

But you know.. we all need this sort of a wake up call. We need to face the fact that this is what happens here. We need a government that knows it and plans for it rather than the one we have. We are long overdue for this sort of correction in our long term planning strategies.
Go to Top of Page

pbmaise
Kamaaina

USA
930 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:19:20  Show Profile  Visit pbmaise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glinda I had no idea the Kiluea Caldera extended so far. Last night I was trying to see boundaries and simply concluded everything within the Crater Rim Drive could simply be called one big Kilauea Caldera.

Yes I know the golf course area you mentioned and no, I had no idea that is part of the total caldera.

This was part of my effort to understand if far larger flows were possible from Kiluea.

Large flows the size of Mauna Loa flows.

Was there ever a period of history when the entire Kiluea Caldera floor was open?

My suspicion is the answer is yes.

In order to cover all of HPP with a fresh coat of lava, far bigger flows must be hidden in the past record.

I also have been under the impression that flows from the summit area cannot flow to the North owing to the cliffs blocking the path. I gather that understanding is also wrong given the news to me that the caldera floor itself extends right across Highway 11 and into the golf course area.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Go to Top of Page

alaskyn66
Punatic

1334 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once people are humbled enough and understand that we are just visitors to this planet, earth will be here long after humans wipe their self out. I find that situations like this 'put me in my place'.
Go to Top of Page

leilanidude
Punatic

USA
3219 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And to think that I came *this close* to buying a second house in that Volcano golf course subdivision last fall...
Go to Top of Page

pbmaise
Kamaaina

USA
930 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:32:58  Show Profile  Visit pbmaise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gather this "barrier" I have referred to is called the Uwekahuna Bluff. It appears to rise as much as 135 meters above the caldera floor. I gather now I know this barrier doesn't extend all the way around the North end of the caldera.

Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Go to Top of Page

alaskyn66
Punatic

1334 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going over towards Pahala, it's not uncommon to see steam vents on the right side of the highway. Should be an indication.

Edited by - alaskyn66 on 05/16/2018 15:36:33
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

10974 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
folks in the Golf Course Subdivision will have a real hard time

I suspect that residents of Volcano will get actual emergency response instead of authorities "mulling it over".
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats why they make END FAULT ZONE signs for the area...

http://i1.wp.com/terrypickeral.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/fault-zone.jpg?resize=864%2C507

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Go to Top of Page

pbmaise
Kamaaina

USA
930 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  15:53:38  Show Profile  Visit pbmaise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This article describes the Power's caldera as being present before the current Kiluea Caldera.

The article seems to be the source of much material recited today and written in August 2017.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/geo_hist_summary.html

One scary note in the article is the prediction of a long term return to the explosive history for the summit. Ash deposits 35 meters deep are described. I gather these didn't all fall in a single day.

So people living up near the summit might have to be steeling themselves for something far bigger than just an occasional ash cloud that interrupts a good game of golf.

Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
6608 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  16:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The folks in the Golf Course Subdivision will have a real hard time.

Maybe, depending on how much cooperation they receive from the land owner between Volcano Village & Volcano Golf Course subdivision. The two subdivisions are only about a half mile apart from the northern side of Golf Course subdivision to Mahiai Rd which turns into Wright Rd, with ranch land between the two. A D-9 could probably make a passable road in short order.

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page