Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 Hawaii ICF
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic  

HAKOMA

Germany
26 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  10:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha to Hawaii,

I know from the other thread that in Puna is not built with concrete, but illegal with wood. Sorry, had to be.

I also found this company on the internet. http://hawaiiicf.com/

Has anyone ever built with Hawaii ICF or does the people of this company know personally? I think I have already written to this company before, but also came no answer. It is important for me to discuss with many suppliers to find the best way of building my concrete house in HA.

Greetings from Germany,

Hakoma

Luke Duke
malihini

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  06:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This website is owned by Dumore Construction. I hired them to do major repairs to a termite-infested house in Kaneohe. I was very pleased with their service. Very professional. I have no ICF experience, however. The owner, Steve, is a second-generation builder, as I recall. I would just give him a call. Nice guy. If you do so, please tell us what you learned.

Talk to Rob at Castleblock. Rob is on the big island and runs this forum.
Go to Top of Page

lquade
Punatic

1033 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  11:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saw an interesting video called spider tie construction. don't know how to do links but you could goggle it..
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Punatic

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  12:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spider tie video

https://siamagazin.com/concrete-house-new-construction-system/
Go to Top of Page

HAKOMA

Germany
26 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  09:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question was actually who knows Hawaii ICF and has experience with the company. But in order to continue the competition of not available on Hawaii construction methods with concrete, I also post a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHrEkwIiWA

I won with that. What is my price?
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11398 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  09:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not available on Hawaii construction methods

Perhaps you should actually live here and build something here before you tell the rest of us we're doing it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

HAKOMA

Germany
26 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  12:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kalakoa, I do not care if you're building wood illegally. I have already told you several times. I had the question who knows the named company. She is finally based in Hawaii. Or did I ask for a company in China? If few people in Hawaii know Hawaii ICF, an answer with a construction not practiced in Hawaii is not helpful. If I ask for the time, I do not want to know the current state of the moon in response. That you have absolutely no knowledge of different construction methods, you have long proven. I am also not willing to teach you anything. You are a redneck and stay that way. Good for you, if you are happy with it. But please do not go to the bag with your incompetent contributions. If you want to play the Forums idiot, then look for someone else who likes to be annoyed by you. In the beginning I thought it was funny, but somehow you are not in the lane.
And if you did not understand my post, the sarcasm was pure, then kindly ask, as I mean. It can always be misunderstood in the translation by google. I grew up in East Germany and preferred to play soccer instead of voluntary English lessons. Does anyone believe that over 35 years ago I wanted to build a house in Hawaii? Or that as a citizen of the other Germany could ever go to Hawaii? For me it's a dream that I can fulfill. And it's my dream with a house as I like it. And when I ask about the ways in which I can realize this dream in Hawaii, I hope for competent answers and not advice to build illegally. Besides, I'm not the first person to build concrete in Hawaii. There are already some concrete houses on the island. There is even a Buddha built of concrete. There is absolutely no problem building a concrete house in Hawaii, only you do not know it. For you it's all utopia. You have Internet, but use the time that you waste with meaningless contributions and educate yourself.

Edited by - HAKOMA on 12/12/2018 12:52:43
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11398 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  14:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand by my assertion: people who don't live here and who have never negotiated the County permitting process simply do not understand what is involved.

Please move to Hawaii and build your dream home. Show us ignorant rednecks how concrete is a vastly superior building material.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9561 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  16:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kalakoa,

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from commenting on things you know little or nothing about.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11398 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  17:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Point taken -- I definitely know absolutely nothing about building a permitted structure in another country thousands of kilometers away.
Go to Top of Page

HAKOMA

Germany
26 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2018 :  22:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kalakoa, the problem is rather that you do not even want to admit that Hawaii can and will be built with concrete. It's not built to the order of magnitude yet, but it's already done. And I've already asked you how you want to know how difficult a building permit will be. You do not go to the authorities and make an application when you build. That means that you have no knowledge at all. You just write nonsense.
And it does not matter where in the world a house is built. The same physical principles apply. And my principle is to build stably so that it does not matter what external influences are acting. I'll give you another advantage of concrete. The ability of storing heat / cold. Concrete absorbs the heat during the day and releases it at night and vice versa. This leaves a more even temperature in the house. But I do not want to give you too much information, you do not believe it. We'll just make you a pair of concrete shoes and then we'll go swimming in the Pacific. This could make more sense in the forum. The mafia appreciates this advantage of concrete. It does not work so well with wood.

Edited by - HAKOMA on 12/12/2018 22:49:40
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11398 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  11:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never said concrete isn't a superior construction material. I only said that it might be more difficult to get it through the permitting process.

I note that the new (and delayed yet again) Puna Kai shopping center is being built with wood framing instead of steel framing, concrete, or SIP. I don't know if this is for cost savings or to simplify permitting.

Most people get permits before beginning construction, some people get permits after-the-fact, some people don't bother with permits at all. There are advantages and disadvantages to each strategy. I had to deal with some of each when County wouldn't final my house until I got "as-built" for a shack that came with the property, even though the land is zoned Ag and the shack was under 600 square feet. (County's arbitrary "focus of enforcement" is a completely different topic.)

Best of luck with your project, I hope it works out for you.
Go to Top of Page

HAKOMA

Germany
26 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  01:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kalakoa, whether the shopping center is built of wood or why the construction there is delayed, is not interesting.
Everyone should use the material he wants. But then he should also understand that there is always the danger of destruction. Every house is exposed to influences that we humans can not really control. And then when people complain in vulnerable areas that their homes are damaged or destroyed, they should think about whether the construction was really right. In California, many houses burned down because the building material had a good calorific value. In Norway, only houses made of stone / concrete may be built in an area with high forest fire risk.
These are the differences in thinking.
My idea is durability, and concrete is pretty much the best material. Termites, storm, fire, earthquake or water, no problem.

And what's your problem with the permit, I always wonder if the plans were submitted according to standards? And if an employee on the authority makes problems, then you put pressure on him. To derive a right to be allowed to build illegally, if the authority causes problems, I find counterproductive. I already had problems with authorities here in Germany. A boss of an authority I threatened in writing a complaint, worked. Two years ago, I was with a government agency and had the same law printed out, because I knew that there are stupid. After a short discussion the boss came running. I verbally accused him of the law and in front of the assembled employees that they acted unlawfully. I got what I was legally. That's the advantage if you do not behave yourself illegally. So I'm curious to see what happens in Hawaii. But I think it will not shock me so fast. I do not even expect that the approval goes through without problems.
I rather believe that it is just the same, as here in the forum. What? A house made of concrete?

And I've always written that I have the time to go through the approval process. It is "only" a holiday home, I do not have to live there in 6 months.
Go to Top of Page
  Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page