Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 IECC standards
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

Thronester

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  10:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Iím told the 2015 energy code will now apply to new construction beginning Thursday. I believe insulation will now be required not only in walls but under the floor in raised floor construction as well as ceilings, which may be tricky for any open beam ceilings https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IECC2015/iecc-residential-provisions?site_type=public

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  10:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the 2015 energy code will now apply to new construction beginning Thursday

Only for those who both seek permits and cannot obtain an exemption. Sacred structures are automatically exempt.
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  11:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We all have to live in expensive, matching boxes. Or be homeless.

https://youtu.be/u4KfJztaJ5I "Little Boxes song from Weeds"

ETA: don't we get public input and a contested case hearing on this? Certainly affects more people than a telescope!

Edited by - randomq on 08/13/2019 11:05:57
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  11:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't we get public input and a contested case hearing

That would actually be appropriate: the point of ever-increasing building code requirements is to create an artificial housing scarcity by which "certain people" can become wealthy (wealthier).

We all have to live in expensive, matching boxes. Or be homeless.

Third option: build what you want, live how you want, but you can never stop looking over your shoulder.
Go to Top of Page

Thronester

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  12:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Hawaii County can negotiate a sub tropical exemption. I believe Maui and Kauai have done something like that.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  14:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
negotiate a sub tropical exemption

I believe the exemption exists, but is per-application, and requires an engineer.

Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

2018 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2019 :  17:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The underfloor insulation would be a disaster
Go to Top of Page

dobanion
Da Kine

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2019 :  05:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See section R401.2.1 Tropical Zone

Essentially, if you don't have air conditioning, no insulation in walls or floors required, and reduced ceiling requirements.

I think Hawaii is actually using the 2015 IECC with amendments.

https://energy.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/2015-IECC-with-Hawaii-Amendments.pdf

The above changes up the ceiling insulation requirement a bit, with a higher requirement (R-19) if you don't have a reflective "cool roof", and a lower requirement (R-13) if you do.

A exposed beam ceiling should still work. One layer of 2" foam board on the roof plus a white (reflective) steel roof surface would meet the requirements of the code.

When I contacted the code people about details of insulation requirements and options for a shall we say, unconventional dwelling, they sent me a link to this:

https://energy.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/CommercialBuildingsGuidelinesforEnergyEfficiency2004.pdf

Yeah I know it says commercial, but I was told you can use the commercial system of passing requirements. The advantage of this system, if applicable, is that it works in a radiant barrier as a option to reduce the R-value requirement. In some cases, a white roof combined with a radiant barrier removes the insulation requirement entirely.

They have several combinations of roof surface, insulation, and radiant barriers that are acceptable. They have a calculated value that combines the three things (insulation, reflective surface, radiant barrier) to give you a single number to pass. They call this the RHGP (roof heat gain factor). See section 6.

Edited by - dobanion on 08/14/2019 05:39:33
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2019 :  08:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
contacted the code people about details of insulation requirements and options

I solved the problem by not asking for codes or inspections.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  08:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2019/08/18/hawaii-news/strict-state-energy-standards-likely-to-raise-price-of-home-ownership-county-scrambles-to-fix/

Building a house on Hawaii Island just got a lot more complicated --‚ÄĒ and more expensive -- because the county missed a deadline to enact local exemptions to a strict new statewide energy code.

Hawaii counties had two years to implement changes to the International Energy Conservation Code, but neither the Department of Public Works nor the County Council initiated a new law to do so. Both Maui and Kauai passed bills to lessen the impact by taking their own particular climate zones into consideration.

Rhetorical: what was County doing for those two years? Passing a GET surcharge (twice), shutting down vacation rentals, scheduling "talk story" sessions about the lava "recovery"...
Go to Top of Page

Thronester

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  18:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah would be nice to not have people scrambling to get permits through before the deadline. Hopefully the dust settles soon and the county can draft up similar amendments like Maui and Kauai. The zone 1 tropical exemption doesnít seem too horrible. In fact it seems that many people tend to build like that anyway. Some of the takeaways that I got were if you donít have air conditioning, have paddle fans in the bedrooms and living room, operable windows on exterior walls of bedrooms, a latch for keeping bedroom doors propped open and large eaves to prevent direct sunlight through windows then the only major change I see the cool roof. Iíll be interested in seeing what becomes available for roofing and windows that satisfies the requirements. Who wants a bright white roof? LOL
Go to Top of Page

dobanion
Da Kine

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2019 :  12:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know a bright white roof is ugly. But the first time you do the math on just how much heat energy is absorbed in a day on a typical roof vs a white one, you start to see the reasoning.
Go to Top of Page

YurtGirl
Kamaaina

739 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  15:15:10  Show Profile  Visit YurtGirl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are there any professionals or people have navigated this new system that can chime in here? I have a letter off to county but no response yet. It seems a bit nuts to me to implement insulation requirements that obliterate decent ventilation and passive solar principals. Mold everywhere... And if it isn't ventilating, then we're forcing energy use because we'll need to use heating/cooling/dehimidifying power.

Is there an exemption for residences that have no heating or cooling needs? If there is no energy to conserve in the design, why are they even calling this 'energy codes' or allowed to slap it on everyone?

Melissa Fletcher

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  15:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there an exemption for residences that have no heating or cooling needs?

County is busy "learning about" the alternate standards.

Meanwhile, there's always "not bothering to get permits", which is now acceptable if your structure is part of a "protest movement".
Go to Top of Page

YurtGirl
Kamaaina

739 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  15:58:58  Show Profile  Visit YurtGirl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can not recommend to clients that they don't permit, protest movement or not. It's a big investment to not be able to permit a residence, get insurance, etc. But it sure seems like our county building department keeps pushing people that way more and more. No sense :( They should be working to help people build safe and affordably.

Melissa Fletcher

kalakoa
Motormouth

12431 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  17:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a big investment to not be able to permit a residence, get insurance, etc.

It's a big investment to build a completely sealed house with double-paned windows and grid power to run the air conditioning 24x7. Perhaps the State should require residency applications and a means test for anyone intending to relocate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page