Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Puna Politics
 Hawaii Comes in Last Again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

TomK
Punatic

USA
7444 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  00:25:42  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All - thanks for explaining glassnumber's comment. I'll think I'll get back to astrophysics. My mind just can't handle economics theory...
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

10974 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  07:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mind just can't handle economics theory...

The problem with economics is that it involves irrational players (humans). Hard sciences are much more straightforward.

Example (off-topic, yet so very on-topic) from today's paper:

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/08/29/hawaii-news/water-board-finding-puts-future-of-wind-farm-in-question/

DWS signed a PPA to get cheaper electricity (their largest cost) from a renewable non-HELCO source. It appears DWS would rather keep buying expensive HELCO power, thereby driving the wind farm out of business. We pay higher prices for water; we probably get to pay for the lawsuit against DWS. How does this make economic sense?
Go to Top of Page

punaticbychoice
Punatic

1187 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2018 :  08:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TomK @ 00:25:42 08/29/2018-
Couldn't help remembering George HW Bush's comment about
"voodoo economics".
Yes, the dismal "science" indeed.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7444 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2018 :  01:31:28  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"DWS signed a PPA to get cheaper electricity (their largest cost) from a renewable non-HELCO source. It appears DWS would rather keep buying expensive HELCO power, thereby driving the wind farm out of business."

This is why I always try to go to the source. Those two sentences above are so contradictory you know you have to go somewhere else to unravel them.
Go to Top of Page

Durian Fiend
Da Kine

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  04:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

However, do you think that living out on a remote tropical island yet still being part of the U.S.A. might have anything to do with the higher cost of living?

Pacific ocean isolation is the obvious reason for most of it. Interesting that East Hawaii is significantly lower than Hawaii overall- Puna in particular. At least, according to the map down the page on this link.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/hawaii/hilo
Go to Top of Page

Chunkster
Punatic

1808 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  06:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DF: Those stats are probably skewed by the lower cost of housing. If you look closely, the lowest cost area is Hawaiian Beaches, et al, with HPP being in between (both literally and cost-wise) there and Hilo. Home values and rents would seem the likely reason.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9427 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  07:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While you ponder the higher cost of living in Hawaii I suggest you also consider the fact that Hawaii has the highest standard of living of any Pacific island.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

10974 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  07:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawaii has the highest standard of living of any Pacific island.

Isn't that a little like saying "it's the nicest slum"?
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9427 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  07:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it is not.

Perhaps you have not traveled much.
Go to Top of Page

reni
Kamaaina

557 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2018 :  18:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kalakoa post
"Hawaii has the highest standard of living of any Pacific island.

Isn't that a little like saying "it's the nicest slum"?
Rob post,
"Perhaps you have not traveled much."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got back from Maui.....oh the beach parks! oh the roads!!!! so lovely!!! no , not close to slum at all. Why can't we have those roads and beach parks on the Big Island???
The airport in Kahului, lovely! I land in Hilo, no soap, broken faucets, out of order signs....why?

On the other hand, Hawaii's cost of living compared to Society Islands...well I'd have to say I like their cost of living & life style much better!
Many Society Island Polynesians have had the good sense to hold onto their land.... healthcare is covered by Gov., College is covered by Gov. True, Groceries are very high... but...
there is a sense of easiness & freedom on the Society Islands we visited last year that I would say has been lost here in Hawaii.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page