Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Donate
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Farming and Gardening in Puna
 Anyone have any Milestone to kill trees?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

8799 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  12:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never found ginger hard to take out. They root horizontally right on the surface. I poke a shovel under them and they tend to pop right up.
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

3986 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  13:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, what do you use to kill guava? Milestone didn't work for me.
Go to Top of Page

Mr nice guy
Da Kine

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  17:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@terracore, I used Crossbow (triclopyr) full strength on the cut trunks of sg. Dyed it blue so I could see what I was treted. 100% kill rate.
Go to Top of Page

MarkP
Punatic

1777 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2017 :  19:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I have found most effective is to hack and squirt slightly diluted RoundUp into the cuts. I essentially try to ring-bark the tree and dose the cuts with Round-up so the tree has to suck it in. It seems to work OK in the long run although you don't see immediate results.

I cleared along the property line to put up fencing and dosed the stumps with RoundUp. That was done over the last 2 to 3 months. Just today my neighbor pointed out a stand of guava on his side that had died. This must have been due to the shared root system since I never applied anything to those trees and they were a good 6 feet over the property line. He was concerned that he not lose any more trees. It makes more sense when you understand that they have a nice house with beautiful landscaping and I have a shipping container and at least in the short term am practicing a scorched earth policy directly along the fence line. The guava trees provide a screen until their podocarpus grows in. I myself am looking for something to plant along the fence that will restore the privacy while not being guava.
Go to Top of Page

MarkD
Da Kine

209 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2017 :  18:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, thx for tip on using shovel. It grows long and deep in Volcano, but think your idea will help.
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

3986 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  14:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr nice guy

@terracore, I used Crossbow (triclopyr) full strength on the cut trunks of sg. Dyed it blue so I could see what I was treted. 100% kill rate.

I was injecting Milestone into the tree. No dice. Works great on albezia and avocado. SG, not so much.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page