Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Solar Eclipse?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

TomK
Punatic

USA
5706 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  17:47:53  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, HOTPE. I certainly wondered if it was to do with the concept of negative numbers (or even imaginary numbers!) but it was worded in such a way I thought it might be something different. However, it's definitely true that if you express the problem mathematically, then you need use negative numbers and have a concept of zero. Nice one, thanks for exercising my brain for a bit! Incidentally, if you're curious, my QM answer comes from the theory of Hawking radiation and virtual pairs.
Go to Top of Page

ericlp
Punatic

China
2589 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  11:04:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess the answer is 3 people...

if you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.. :)
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
5706 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  01:05:49  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Math logic: 4-7+3=0

Language logic: if three people enter the room, how on earth can it be empty?

QM logic: did you influence the result by observing them enter the room?
Go to Top of Page

faroutsider
Da Kine

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2017 :  23:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On July 11, 1991 I was on Isla Isabella in Mexico. Looking at totality with binoculars is something I'll never forget, seeing the prominences and corona. Very surreal place to be for the "great eclipse ".
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Kamaaina

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  06:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Four people are in a room and seven leave. How many have to enter again before it's empty?

Zero, it's already empty after the 4 people and 3 newborns left.
Go to Top of Page

ericlp
Punatic

China
2589 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2017 :  15:12:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Math logic: 4-7+3=0

Language logic: if three people enter the room, how on earth can it be empty?

QM logic: did you influence the result by observing them enter the room?

Tom, not so fast, First I want to know how the 7 people left when only 4 were in there in the first place. :) Did you observe that before the 3 people entered? :D Maybe they left at the speed of light and went back in time into some other dimension before they re-entered the room.

Edited by - ericlp on 08/13/2017 15:13:54
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
5706 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  01:00:05  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If they left the room at the speed of light, they would have to be massless, just like photons, or, virtual pairs (see above and google vacuum energy), in which case you can get all sorts of results and can explain them by using both classical and quantum physics in combination despite the contradictions between both explanations. So that's my answer! ;)
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Da Kine

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2017 :  09:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol! Is the light from a partial eclipse entering that blasted room?Just a reminder: don't look at partial or full eclipses or nuclear blasts without the proper eye protection.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page