Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Sources for local beef?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 2

AKpilot
Da Kine

335 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  15:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add another recommendation for the old JJ's. It is now called "Honoka'a Country Market" and is awesome! All local Hamakua Beef and lots of other fair priced local products. The new owner has really been working to make the Market a part of the community!

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
Go to Top of Page

rocketman
Da Kine

191 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  20:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Kalianna, I got some of the Double D Ranch lamb chops a few weeks ago, best I've had since I have been here. My wife doesn't really like lamb but she said these were great. Got one more pack in the freezer I'm pulling out for this weekend. Double D uses Kulana in Hilo to pack the meat.

Edited by - rocketman on 04/25/2018 20:27:09
Go to Top of Page

Hotzcatz
Punatic

USA
1778 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  08:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Hotzcatz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's two major slaughterhouses on the island. Kulana is in Hilo and Hawaii Beef Producers in Pauuilo. From there, the beef is then sold either via commercial outlets such as Honokaa Country Market, Malama Market, KTA, etc., or if you know the person who had the cow slaughtered, then you can buy beef directly from them. We get our beef from a local rancher and since they don't have a big enough freezer for the whole cow, if we buy and pick up the beef when they get it back from the slaughterhouse, we get a really good price on it. Get to know your farmers and ranchers and buy directly from them when you can.

Most of the cattle sent to the mainland is wean offs and I'd guess most of the beef sent over from the mainland isn't necessarily from the wean offs that are sent over there.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page