Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Puna Politics
 Council Member Jen Ruggles Community Meeting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 3

Lolo
Da Kine

114 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  10:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, what to do, what to do. County Council will ignore Snowflake Ruggles' theft of County funds by continuing to cash her salary checks and refusing to carry out her sworn duties.
Hello, Board of Ethics. That's what they are charted to address.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
7361 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  10:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what they are charted to address.

Unfortunately, at this point, it would cost more money to investigate and prosecute her than what she gets in her paycheck.

Also, unfortunately, if they stop their work to chase after Ruggles' negligence, then not only is Jen not working on County business, no one else would be getting anything accomplished either.

Lose-Lose

"The great mystery is that such a state may be one of utter happiness, as it provides opinions concerning things, but no knowledge of the things themselves. - Marguerite Young
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11539 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  12:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lose-Lose

There's a third option: burn staff time without recouping any pay.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/11/08/hawaii-news/proposal-would-give-county-council-power-to-censure-absent-members/

The County Council also might lack authority to punish their colleague since the issue isn't addressed in the county charter.

Ruggles, who has missed the past six council meetings and many more committee meetings, said she will continue to receive her $5,834 per month ($70,008 per year) salary.

But two years from now, voters might get a chance to enact a contingency, should such a situation arise again.

Go to Top of Page

Lolo
Da Kine

114 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  13:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The County Council could take five minutes to refer her to the Ethics Board. They aren't doing anything anyway. That is who is charted to investigate ethical violations. Certainly taking a salary for doing nothing And keeping a staff member on the payroll to do her bidding might also fall into the same category.The Council has no spine. This is not a matter of Aloha. Throw her out.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11539 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  13:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The County Council could take five minutes to refer her to the Ethics Board.

Only useful if the Ethics Board actually does anytihing, and while Ruggles is still in office.

County can't move that fast unless it's about declaring an emergency to cash in on Federal bailouts.
Go to Top of Page

Lolo
Da Kine

114 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2018 :  21:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

The County Council could take five minutes to refer her to the Ethics Board.

Only useful if the Ethics Board actually does anytihing, and while Ruggles is still in office.

County can't move that fast unless it's about declaring an emergency to cash in on Federal bailouts.
Doubt if you or your outliers are on here but I hope you think about all the people who are not able to gave a hot Thanksgiving meal because you are stealing their food by cashing your unearned salary from our h as rx earned tax dollars. Shame on you.

Go to Top of Page

BillyB
Da Kine

203 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  09:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fresh turkey for Thanksgiving

Eileen Ohara roasts Ruggles

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/11/18/opinion/your-views-for-november-18-5/
Go to Top of Page

Chunkster
Punatic

1941 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2018 :  11:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While Ruggles deserves roasting, Ohara also pats some people on the back whose legislative efforts could be called questionable at best. Prime example: Eoff's having worked a year on Bill 108, a measure that will reduce the competition for her own vacation rental and has the potential to cripple the growth of the tourist industry in East Hawaii. Ohara voted "yes" on that monstrosity, and then wonders why people have no faith in the council. She blames her election defeat on Ikaika's negative social media posts, but she needs to look at her own record . . . and attitude.
Go to Top of Page

HiloPuna
Da Kine

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  06:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O'h, I think we can all start using the apostrophe in O'Hara again. Campaigns over...
Go to Top of Page

Lolo
Da Kine

114 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  13:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Someone needs to get the message to her. Goodbye. Have a good life. Time to let go.
Go to Top of Page

BillyB
Da Kine

203 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  17:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"She blames her election defeat on Ikaika's negative social media posts,"

Actually I intended to vote for Eileen, that is until her trash talking supporters lost her my vote. Right out of the gate they were making sexist and ad hominem attacks on her opponent. She should have disowned them on the spot, but she let it go on and on, it spoke volumes about her character.

I still think she has done a good job, but I couldn't vote for her because of that. Two years of Trumpeting has left me raw.

I remember a anecdote about Hubert Humphrey, running for President in 1960; he told a crowd "if you going to vote for me because John Kennedy is a Catholic, then stay home, I don't want your vote." Now that's integrity!

Edited by - BillyB on 11/19/2018 17:04:57
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11539 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  17:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider: Ruggles is demonstrating the uselessness of our Council and Charter.

There is some value in that.
Go to Top of Page

leilanidude
Punatic

USA
3465 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2018 :  07:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume that the righteous Ms Ruggles will surely file for unemployment so as to further distance herself from the evil occupying country.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
7750 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2018 :  00:28:17  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I assume that the righteous Ms Ruggles will surely file for unemployment so as to further distance herself from the evil occupying country."

Genuine question: she left her job voluntarily, how would she be eligible for welfare benefits?
Go to Top of Page

glassnumbers
Da Kine

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2018 :  02:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillyB

"She blames her election defeat on Ikaika's negative social media posts,"

Actually I intended to vote for Eileen, that is until her trash talking supporters lost her my vote. Right out of the gate they were making sexist and ad hominem attacks on her opponent. She should have disowned them on the spot, but she let it go on and on, it spoke volumes about her character.

I still think she has done a good job, but I couldn't vote for her because of that. Two years of Trumpeting has left me raw.

I remember a anecdote about Hubert Humphrey, running for President in 1960; he told a crowd "if you going to vote for me because John Kennedy is a Catholic, then stay home, I don't want your vote." Now that's integrity!

....dude. Nobody even knows who Hubert Humphrey is outside of you and a very small section of people. That's a spectacularly bad example, that's an example of integrity relegating you to being a footnote in history. Nobody should follow the example of someone who completely failed.

Aloha :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page