Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 No More Plastic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 3

tada
Kamaaina

743 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  09:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta beat Big Brother! I neva needed straws before but I went to the store to buy sausage and tried out the blood pressure meter by the pharmacy section and was shocked by how high my BP was 2 weeks ago. So I put back the sausage. And my plan is to drink less coffee and drink more diluted coffee. So I plan to sip less coffee with straws. So next time I go to McDonald's to grab a handful of straws and reuse them.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11540 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  09:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A focused-solar kiln could melt glass into bricks suitable for decorative construction.

Such an apparatus could also melt recycled plastic into new forms.

Unfortunately, industry is not allowed; we can only import/export from elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

alaskyn66
Punatic

1467 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  09:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would make to much sense to be able to convert plastic bottles into other useful things that we all use. Plastic buckets, tubs,or plastic building materials.

Regarding straws: Google collapsible straws..
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

5357 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  16:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped recycling glass (other than the ones with deposit) when I learned that they were just grinding it up and putting it in the landfill. I figured I'd save them the middle step of burning fossil fuels to grind the glass up. I understand that adding the ground up glass in the manner that they are doing is "good" for the landfill, but does anybody know if the "good" outweighs the cost on the planet of drilling, pumping, refining, and shipping the fossil fuels needed to grind it up? When I was a kid they recycled glass bottles by washing and reusing them, I guess replacing them was cheaper?
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

5357 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  16:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"In the early 1960's Heinekien came up with these beer bottles https://inhabitat.com/heineken-wobo-the-brick-that-holds-beer/"

I wish manufacturers would return to the old ways. When the companies that sold animal feed and bags of things like flour found out that poor people were using them to make clothes they started adding patterns to them that rotated, so a farm wife could get enough to make a dress or whatever and then later a new pattern was used so all her dresses didn't have to look the same.

There are a few pasta sauce companies that make jars specifically that fit mason jar lids, and some drink companies that sell their wares in a container that becomes a drinking glass after the lid is removed.
Go to Top of Page

RWR
Kamaaina

664 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  16:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herz a nice one. Has a lid, just the right size for 8 X 8 per day folks and it's something maybe not everyone has tried before.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mole+sauce++mexican&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjW5dzZlLXgAhVlOX0KHeMjB9kQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=mole+sauce++mexican&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3..0j0i8i30j0i24.3979.6260..6941...0.0..0.175.1132.0j7......0....1.........0i67j0i13j0i7i30j0i8i7i30.rO9Me3lW448&ei=MjFiXNaEOOXy9APjx5zIDQ&client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&prmd=ivmn#imgrc=a1ZOhQlmjTygiM

Edited by - RWR on 02/11/2019 16:41:24
Go to Top of Page

RWR
Kamaaina

664 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  16:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies RandomQ, I was indeed referencing congresswoman AOC. Who's is pushing things like a call to "eliminate emissions from cows or air travel" — which Mazie neva' like — and to provide “economic security for all who are unable or unwilling to work.”
Go to Top of Page

PaulW
Punatic

5343 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  19:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which district of Hawaii does this AOC represent? I can't find her. diba?
Go to Top of Page

PaulW
Punatic

5343 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  19:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Banning plastic straws seemed, at first, to be silly. After some reflection, I now see straws as more symbolic of our feckless lifestyle. It causes one to think about plastic use. Does anyone drink beverages from straws at home?"

Good point!
--
By the way, the issue isn't plastic in general, it's single-use plastic, at least for now.
Go to Top of Page

tada
Kamaaina

743 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  20:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comparing glass pollution and plastic-

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Glass-Making-Damages-Environment-94821.shtml
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

5357 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  16:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tada

Comparing glass pollution and plastic-

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Glass-Making-Damages-Environment-94821.shtml

The same goes for plastic versus paper bags. Paper bags are hands-down way worse for the environment than plastic (here's an article from a liberal, anti-capitalism news outlet to explain how https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/08/paper-or-plastic-a-look-a_n_111547.html ). Plastic gets demonized because we can see it in the ocean, but if one looks at the larger environmental picture the only real solution is to keep reusing or recycling things.
Go to Top of Page

geochem
Kamaaina

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  17:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

The same goes for plastic versus paper bags.... ...but if one looks at the larger environmental picture the only real solution is to keep reusing or recycling things.

no, the only real solution is to cut back on procreating and begin reducing the planet's excessive burden of humans...
Go to Top of Page

glinda
Punatic

USA
1107 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  17:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, the only real solution is to cut back on procreating and begin reducing the planet's excessive burden of humans...

And there it is. Cut to the chase shine a light on the real problem. Thanks geochem. Though I suspect most would say it's a conspiracy theory. Some version of an us verses them OMG we can't let THAT happen. When in fact that is at the core of all humanity's problems. We've overburdened the planet and are killing it with our greed.

Edited by - glinda on 02/12/2019 17:58:45
Go to Top of Page

Chas
Kamaaina

532 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  18:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and yet there’s no end to the efforts of society to encourage people to have even more kids.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
7362 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2019 :  18:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cut back on procreating

The state or county should do something about this problem.
They should hire people for positions that require them to procreate from 9 to 5 every day. Then once it becomes their job description, the birth rate, like all government productivity, will plummet.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page