Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Missing Hiker On Maui Found Alive
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 4

Hunt Stoddard
Da Kine

412 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2019 :  23:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I speak for everyone when I say:
How the hell do you get lost on Maui for 17 days?
Go to Top of Page

bluesboy
Kamaaina

909 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  06:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I donít get it. It almost sounded like she wanted to be lost. A self imposed journey she told no one she was going on.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
7836 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  06:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Another hiker went missing on the west side of Maui about the same time as Amanda Eller. He hasnít been found yet. The police stop searching after 72 hours. Ellerís family and friends organized and coordinated resources then continued a large privately funded search effort which included helicopters. It paid off.
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1661 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  09:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I get it. I understand the questioning because Maui isn't a big island but the forest reserves there are obviously big enough to be lost in. There is currently another missing hiker there now. A male. The trees are older and bigger than many of ours on this younger island. Maybe harder to spot a lost hiker from the air. Fortunately she stayed put in an open place by the waterfalls.

Also keep in mind that she fractured her leg in the initial fall that got her off course. I'm sure that limited her ability to hike right back out.
Go to Top of Page

MarkD
Punatic

1161 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  11:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You get trapped, that's one way to get lost or, more accurately, isolated.

Intuitively, if you are lost in Hawaii, you head downhill to the coast. Most areas have coastal roads. But on steep terrain, there are places where if you go down, you dead end, like a deep stream pool.

Maui above the Hana Highway is known to be rough terrain. Bushcraft 101: Never go down a hill you cannot climb back up.
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1661 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  15:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bushcraft 101: Never go down a hill you cannot climb back up.

When you fracture your leg going down a hill it limits your ability to climb back up.
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

5700 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  15:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody fact-checked the social media reports that she purchased a "large amount of acid" in the hours before getting lost? Some sort of spiritual quest?

Go to Top of Page

MarkD
Punatic

1161 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  18:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And was there a report that she took a nap in the woods and woke up disoriented? That's consistent also with our present day flower children.
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1661 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  18:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with spiritual quests or present day flower children.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9756 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2019 :  19:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im just happy she is alive.
Go to Top of Page

alaskyn66
Punatic

1540 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  07:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She was lucky to not be in a flash flood, being in a ravine.
Go to Top of Page

Pilgrim
Da Kine

255 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  11:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the NYT article she said she lost her shoes in a "flash flood". People often do kooky things when they panic but I agree there's a lot in this story that doesn't make much sense. But main thing, it's great she's okay.
Go to Top of Page

KiminPL
malihini

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2019 :  17:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About getting lost and stories that don't add up: When dehydrated, the brain doesn't work so great. People can become confused and disoriented, and coordination falters. She may have been in and out of consciousness during the 17 days, may have hallucinated without the aid of acid. As a result, her story may never be all that clear. She is lucky her family and friends persisted in the search, lucky to be alive. Hope she has a fast and full recovery.
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  08:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see ... some of you JUST DONT HIKE in HAWAII... clueless on how easy it is to get lost, (and maybe trapped)... on other islands and Waipio north... getting trapped in a gorge or on a ridge, as well as lost... is easy.. ie the crew of that Bolo Bomber that crashed...

Ive been lost many times for a few hours at a time... never injured never stuck between two waterfalls

thats what happened.. she slipped fell 20' hurt her leg, then could only go downhill till she was trapped...

we are lucky on Big Island, we dont fall as often because we are not as cut up of an island...

when we get lost here, its because we dont use a compass... you go hiking deep in a flat high canopy forest, you get spun around then cant figure out NSEW... you cant see the sun unless its directly above you, you cant see the ocean, you can tell up or down on the Mt... cant tell N S E W! so your screwed..... the reason is you go one way on a pig trail, then when you turn around there are many many side branches to that trail that angle back, that look exactly like the trail you took in... if you have no compass, you are screwed...
if lucky again, STOP!!! and listen for a truck on a road to try for get barrings back...
#1 worst places to get spun is Olaa FR in VVillage (Wright Rd east side), and Puu Makaala up Stainback Way...
you can walk in circles for 10 miles w/o seeing man made stuff let alone know which way your car was...

aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

Edited by - bananahead on 05/28/2019 08:55:31
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1139 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  09:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I invite all you homebodies to go for a hike in the Olaa Forest Reserve.. drive to Volcano Village, take Wright Rd in a few miles, park on pullout before the hard left, hike in on the east side of the road... dont bring a compass, dont bring marking tape..... besure to twist a leg too..... go at least a mile 1/2 in so you cant here a car or truck... have fun for the next 17 days... hopefully you can find something dry to burn if you brought a ciglighter... that would be the only way to signal someone where you were in those 150++ sq miles of 20' tall hapu and furn moss hidden cracks...

aloha we'll see ya in 17 days, if you luck! huh!

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

Edited by - bananahead on 05/28/2019 09:02:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page