Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Carmageddon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 4

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8750 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  09:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when you move out there you knew there was only one way out.

Yes.
And an alternate road was part of the plan for Puna.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12929 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  09:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when you move out there you knew there was only one way out

...which isn't a big deal for the residents of the subdivision, but when County decides it's an "alternate route" for an inadequate highway, then we have a problem.

As I've long said: the road is "private" if you want County maintenance, but it's magically "open to the public" when County wants to divert traffic into your subdivision.
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  11:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to says but when you people move out there you knew how the roads where. I f you want freeways everywhere maybe you should move back to where you came from.

jrw

I came from here. Been living here 40 years. My parents moved out here when I was 5 years old, too young to understand the conditions of the road. I am kamaaina through and through. So when people tell me to go back where I came from I have the urge to curse them out. Understandable?
Go to Top of Page

bluesboy
Kamaaina

927 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  11:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd be curious to know how much Puna residents pay in tax compared to other districts and/or islands. i'd be curious to see how much was spent in Puna compared to other districts and/or islands.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12929 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  12:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
taxes ... spending ...

I have a related thought: compare the cost ratios against similar counties or townships. For example, how many building permits does a staffer process? How much does a mile of road cost?

Granted our numbers will be inflated because costs are higher -- but that difference can be quantified when comparing to non-island municipalities.

Sometimes I think "Hawaii is expensive" becomes a built-in excuse for price increases and invoice padding that wouldn't be justifiable otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
8750 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  12:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Hawaii is expensive" becomes a built-in excuse f

When I moved to Maui the people at HOPACO, the hardware stores, lumber yard all took a deep breath and groaned like beached sea creatures when I asked about the high prices. In between they managed a “ohhhh shipping costs” or two.

Now they all magically match or come close to prices at the big box stores. Those shipping prices sure came down over the years, while postage and air travel went way up. Lucky we live Hawaii where our days are filled with mystery.
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12929 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  12:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky we live Hawaii where our days are filled with mystery.

Not a mystery: Puna is a giant tax farming operation, and all the revenue is exported.
Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

2063 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  12:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe part of the neglect of Puna is intensional. Real estate people trying to sell high price projects elsewhere want to make Puna less appealing. And if you look at the connections on the planning board and county council it makes you go hmmm?
Go to Top of Page

My 2 cents
Kamaaina

738 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  13:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

when you move out there you knew there was only one way out

...which isn't a big deal for the residents of the subdivision, but when County decides it's an "alternate route" for an inadequate highway, then we have a problem.

As I've long said: the road is "private" if you want County maintenance, but it's magically "open to the public" when County wants to divert traffic into your subdivision.

From today's tribune article:

Briski said it behooves Puna residents to familiarize themselves with the alternate routes to Hilo on Puna’s secondary roads sometime when there’s no traffic accidents and no rush.

“It’s amazing how many people called who had no idea how to use the secondary routes that are available to them,” Briski said.

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2020/02/14/hawaii-news/pedestrian-dies-snarling-puna-traffic-for-hours/

So Capt. John Briski, commander of Hawaii Police Department’s Puna Patrol Division is actively directing people to explore our PRIVATE subdivisions anytime, not just emergency situations. And it becomes clear and provable that our PRIVATE roads are part of the plan as alternate routes, not just in emergencies, but in general.

Just more ammunition for the lawsuit, assuming our associations can ever get over the infighting long enough to take the fight where it really belongs.

Absurd assumption, I know.
Go to Top of Page

jrw
Kamaaina

USA
571 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  15:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

I hate to says but when you people move out there you knew how the roads where. I f you want freeways everywhere maybe you should move back to where you came from.

jrw

I came from here. Been living here 40 years. My parents moved out here when I was 5 years old, too young to understand the conditions of the road. I am kamaaina through and through. So when people tell me to go back where I came from I have the urge to curse them out. Understandable?

I apologize to you but not to the people who bought out there knowing there was only one way out and thought the government should take care of them.

jrw
Go to Top of Page

terracore
Punatic

6079 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  15:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I want 'government' to do is to get out of the way.

Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

12929 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  15:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thought the government should take care of them

Wait, what? I pay taxes, for which I expect some services -- and I'm not asking for water, sewer, gas, and trash collection, just basic roads that are sufficient for the flow of traffic generated by myself and my fellow taxpayers.

If government doesn't want to provide services, fine, they can stop collecting the taxes.
Go to Top of Page

2liveque
Kamaaina

539 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  16:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawaii state government is proven Oahu-centric. With traffic ruling the lives of Oahu people....as well as alarming traffic issues now in Maui and Kauai, state legislators will have marginal sympathy at best for the "traffic woes" of Puna. You all do realize that there is only One road IN and OUT of Lahaina Maui? Did you all know that there is only one major Highway IN and OUT that serves Waianae and much of Oahu's far West side? Same goes for Kauai, who had a nightmare scenario recently with the landslides and closure of the only road in and out of Hanalei for months on end. The State DOT has its challenges to say the least.

Given that reality, Puna will always be a lesser priority. The quarterly carmaggedon fiasco on 130 will rear its ugly head at least once or twice per year.
Go to Top of Page

TomK
Punatic

USA
8771 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2020 :  20:49:13  Show Profile  Visit TomK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The quarterly carmaggedon fiasco on 130 will rear its ugly head at least once or twice per year."

Shouldn't that be four times per year?
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1734 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2020 :  11:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize to you but not to the people who bought out there knowing there was only one way out and thought the government should take care of them.

jrw

Thanks for understanding and the apology. I see your point too. Clearly.

I still take the stance of something needing to change in the topic of transportation routes. But I realize there may not be any changes- anytime soon that is.

Yet another reason to continue setting up my property for sustainable living so I rarely need to go out with the vehicle for anything.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page