Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Punatalk
 Where is your favorite loco moco?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 5

hikatz
Kamaaina

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2018 :  18:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, looking forward to trying the brown rice Loco Moco, I also have marked on the calendar, the Corned Beef special, every other Thursday!
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Kamaaina

USA
611 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  04:48:28  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thinks maybe mrs mamosa owns a piece of cafe 100? I thought this was a loco thread mrs mimosa? Are u allowed to talk about a free glass of water here?lol

Im ready to make a loco pizza tro down. Keto style ,let the argument continue.

HPP
Go to Top of Page

Kiana
Da Kine

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  08:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree on Cafe 100, so many choices. My fave, fresh grilled (not fried) fish loco, usually mahi mahi or ahi. With brown rice, even healthy. Great local experience for sure.
Go to Top of Page

bananahead
Punatic

USA
1087 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  12:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hilo's own.... the 'Loco Moco'

History and origin
The dish was reportedly created at the Lincoln Grill restaurants in Hilo, Hawaii, in 1949 by its proprietors, Richard Inouye and his wife Nancy, at the request of teenagers from the Lincoln Wreckers Sports club seeking something that differed from a sandwich, was inexpensive, and yet could be quickly prepared and served. They asked Nancy to put some rice in a bowl, a hamburger patty over the rice, and then top it with brown gravy. The egg came later. The teenagers named the dish Loco Moco after one of their members, George Okimoto, whose nickname was "Crazy". George Takahashi, who was studying Spanish at Hilo High School, suggested using Loco, which is Spanish for crazy. They tacked on "moco" which "rhymed with loco and sounded good". To Spanish-speakers, however, the name can sound very odd, given that they hear it as "crazy snot" (moco is Spanish for "mucus").

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Go to Top of Page

Mimosa
Punatic

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2018 :  14:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did not know that BH - thanks for clarifying .We are not owners nor do we know the owners.The water is free if you request complimentary water. We always get egg scramble instead of runny un cooked egg.
Brown rice is short grain and cooked /steamed to perfection .

Plus the price is best in town for a Loco Moco .

Mes.Mimosa
Go to Top of Page

dan d
Kamaaina

USA
611 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  04:43:02  Show Profile  Visit dan d's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im sorry mrs mimosa was just joking. A loco throwdown sounds fun.

HPP
Go to Top of Page

DoryGray
Kamaaina

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  11:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BH, love that local lore. Mrs. M. At Cafe 100, I order my egg over medium & it's perfect. But didn't know about the brown rice option.
Go to Top of Page

alaskyn66
Punatic

1366 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  12:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think Ive ever had any bad Loco Moco no matter where Ive had it. pretty hard to mess that one up. It would be edible with minute rice and canned gravy.

I have a sudden craving for popcorn..
Go to Top of Page

Hapunatic

46 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  14:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mimosa

Heck you may even see us with the grand kids - all eating our own brown rice loco moco.
Mrs.Mimosa

You've said you are in your 90's, wouldn't your "grand kids" be in their 40's or 50's? We had grand kids in our 40's. Jus sayin
Go to Top of Page

Mimosa
Punatic

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  11:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes in our 90s - to be clear - our many off spring range in ages from 40- 50 and their off spring are 20-30 and their kids are ages from new born to ages 12 - 15.So by saying grand kids - they all are - quit nit picking .

This thread is about Loco Moco and our fave is Cafe 100 in Hilo especially when we have the great great great grand kids are with us after or before the beach and after soccer or basketball or girl scout activities .

Mrs.Mimosa
Go to Top of Page

PaulW
Punatic

5182 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  12:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I visited Cafe 100 for the first time recently because of this thread and it was great!
Go to Top of Page

hikatz
Kamaaina

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  10:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every other Thursday is corned beef and cabbage served with rice, $8.95 excellent!

Today's special Nov 8 https://goo.gl/DCiKPd

We had the brown rice Loco Moco with gravy, Mrs. Mimosa it was very good, definitely will order that again.
Go to Top of Page

Mimosa
Punatic

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  18:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At Cafe 100 - when ever a person gets a Loco Moco they will stamp a pink card and after you get x number of L.M's you get one free/We have a zip loc bag full of stamped cards so next time we take the great great great great grand kids to Cafe 100 - a free meal for the ohana.Always ask them to stamp your card - not really free but a refund of sorts.
Hikats - how was the corned beef ?

We also like their beef stew with out sauce .
On brown rice but no mac salad .
Keeping our kala local even though the kiddo's wanna eat at Mc Pukes.
Their parents can eat there - not us -Mc Pukes does not have brown-rice .

Glass numbers - have you had a chance to eat at Cafe 100 yet ?

Mrs .Mimosa

Edited by - Mimosa on 11/08/2018 18:44:47
Go to Top of Page

rocketman
Da Kine

205 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  20:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hikatz, I went to Cafe 100 today, no corned beef and cabbage till next Thurs. I was sad so I went to Lucy's instead, great pozole soup.
Go to Top of Page

randomq
Punatic

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  21:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But... How much mayonnaise do they put in their chili?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page