Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Punaweb Forums
 Building in Puna
 concrete house
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page

Please note: All postings, business listings and advertisements are made available here, without charge, as a public service by Punaweb. No recommendations or endorsements of any specific posting, business listing or advertisement are made or implied by Punaweb.

Author Topic
Page: of 6

HAKOMA

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  10:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kalakoa, thanks for the tip. It has both been my mistake. I asked with my German email and told where my property is.
I was not aware that it itself can cause problems. Hawaiian Acres seems to have a bad reputation. Did the broker in 2009 already told me that there would somehow be different. He said they all have firearms and dogs, it would be dangerous. Well, what should I say? I have firearms myself and dogs are guaranteed to come in Hawaii. And if they become Dobermans and I call them Zeus and Apollo. I find that funny again and again, the series Magnum was part of my youth. I even went to the beach from the lot where the series was shot.
We have cats and horses here, and they have to join in, unfortunately there is no room for a dog here.
And of course, my S & W 629 Classic in .44 Magnum also comes along, along with the other cannons I still have. I seem to fit exactly there.

May I ask where you live? Maybe we can drink a beer, I like your kind somehow.

And I will first accept the offer from Rob and not continue to call or call any companies that I do not know. Rob is probably a better contact person who can make the important contacts. I trust in his experience and he probably knows the best. I am hopeful that we will find a solution. It's not perfect over email anyway. If you look in the eyes and pressed the hand, it is much better for all sides.

It's enough if I annoyed some forists here. I do not dare to ask where I can get plants for my planned biological wastewater treatment plant. I had mentioned that once, but no one was talking about it.
Is probably such a thing that nobody does in Hawaii. But I think there is a solution for that, too.

Greetings from Germany,

HAKOMA
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11271 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  10:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawaiian Acres seems to have a bad reputation.

Reputation is subjective. More likely they're wondering "why would someone build a $$$$$$ project on a $$ lot?".

I have firearms myself and dogs are guaranteed to come in Hawaii.

That's going to make the concrete house seem like a simple project by comparison.

At least pre-clear the dogs, or they will spend 3 months in State quarantine (at your expense).
Go to Top of Page

HAKOMA

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  11:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kalakoa, I buy the Dogs in Hawaii, the other animals come here in quarantine with a blood count shortly before departure. That is still a long way to go.

The question of why someone wants to build an expensive house on cheap land did not turn out for me. I do not want to look at it from the direction either. The country has an attractive size for a reasonable price. I have few people around me, there is enough space on the property for everything. The company does not care where I build as long as I pay the bills. And when I look at a lot of houses in Hawaiian Acres on the Property Tax side, I see huge costs for wooden houses. So cheap land and expensive houses is nothing out of the ordinary. I know, some build there illegally cheaper.

Edited by - HAKOMA on 11/08/2018 11:01:03
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9516 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  11:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually a nationally known architectural firm built an impressive and "architecturally significant" home way back in the bowels of Hawaiian Acres some twenty years back. Poured in place concrete, 30' tall, barrel vaulted concrete roof. Quite interesting. I have been to the site once and was asked to not reveal it's location. The project was not for a client. It was personal.

I did the ICF concrete (Rastra) curved walls for one of their projects in Palm Springs years ago. That's how I knew them.

As for the "rough" reputation for H.A. Part of it is simply the roads. Ambulances refuse to drive in there....cops don't much like to either.
Go to Top of Page

Seeb
Punatic

1903 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  12:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, how did they pour the barrel vault?
Go to Top of Page

Rob Tucker
Kama'aina

9516 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  12:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not witness the construction... so I don't know. I assume a boom pumper was used. How the heck they got a boom and concrete trucks in there is a bigger mystery to me.
Go to Top of Page

ElysianWort
Punatic

USA
1290 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  20:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ambulances refuse to drive in there.

I live in here, HA, on some of the roughest roads and know the above statement simply isn't true. But that's for a different thread.
Go to Top of Page

HAKOMA

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2018 :  22:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F2XwclApWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s-CIihwRNU

Aloha Rob, the open secret when building with concrete is just the formwork. Concrete must be kept in shape as long as it takes to harden. That's the big advantage. I think that the variant in the first video for the house is completely sufficient. The companies in Hawaii certainly have no problems with that. It only needs the steel and concrete. I also see no problem in making the walls the same way. We do not have to deliver anything from the mainland. An insulation, especially under the roof can be applied to the outside of the concrete. The advantage is also that the entire structure can be made in one piece and thus the stability of a small bunker is given.

The version in the second video is also interesting, but probably not yet practicable. If you need a dome quickly, just blow it up. Of course, the preliminary work is also to be done first. But basically only a support with compressed air until the concrete is solid.

And why HA is not so well regarded in some people, I do not care in the end. I like it. All their problem. The bad roads seem to be partly wanted, so you avoid the traffic.
It usually only drives who has to drive to get on his property.

Greetings from Germany,

HAKOMA
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11271 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  08:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why HA is not so well regarded

Every subdivision is different -- "better" or "worse" are subjective. I've often wished for each to issue a public "position statement" so that new settlers aren't surprised by what they've moved into.
Go to Top of Page

My 2 cents
Kamaaina

569 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  08:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Position Statement":

New arrivals to the subdivision are encouraged to join the association's Board of Directors as soon as possible for the purpose of changing things to their liking, starting with this Position Statement.

Is that what you meant?
Go to Top of Page

HereOnThePrimalEdge
Punatic

South Sandwich Islands
6874 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  08:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havenít followed this thread every day, so I apologize in advance if the concrete house on Kehena Cliff has already been mentioned:
http://www.lavalandvacationrentals.com/project/kehena-cliff-house/
Go to Top of Page

kalakoa
Motormouth

11271 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  09:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that what you meant?

No.

Norms expressed as if they were a zoning overlay.

Hawaiian Acres (except for road 8, upper 9, top of 1): "live-and-let-live", unpermitted ok, gunshots ok, roads will not be improved, HELCO not guaranteed, cell service unreliable.

If every subdivision did this, we could avoid (some of) the problems when people feel the need to change things to match their ideals -- I see this as a symptom of "picked the wrong subdivision".

The new building codes seem to be causing big problems.

Not so much in Hawaiian Acres -- except where there's pavement.
Go to Top of Page

Obie
Punatic

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  09:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"cell service unreliable."

Looks like that may be changing.

The Windward Planning Commission gave the OK to Verizon Wireless for a new tower on a lot off Moho Road.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/11/09/video-new-cell-tower-in-hawaiian-acres-approved/
Go to Top of Page

HAKOMA

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  11:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HereOnThePrimalEdge, that can not be that there is a concrete house. That's certainly illegally made of wood and painted with gray paint.

Now I can not sleep because of laughter. An award-winning concrete house in Hawaii, you make my day.

But I was already sure, when I bought the land, that there will be a development forward. Nothing lasts forever except change. And I generally see an improvement in conditions in Hawaii. The day will come when no one will be able to say that Hawaii is uncivilized.
If you think back 50 years, Puna was called a drug-growing area and Hippie region. At least I've read that. It's getting better, maybe someday the roads in HA. On my property I have also found relics of plantings, 2009 were on the neighboring property still see hemp plants. Although only a few, but last year they were gone and now someone lives there already. Someone lives opposite and on the other side, a building permit has been issued and the driveway was already pushed. As colonization progresses, some problems are resolved.
Go to Top of Page

My 2 cents
Kamaaina

569 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2018 :  13:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Norms expressed as if they were a zoning overlay."

Although I was being sarcastic with my "position statement" proposal, I think in actuality it indeed fits in the "norm" category.

Point being, you can write the position statement any way you want, but the next Board of Directors will just change it as they see fit.

Or perhaps form a second board and.....oh well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Punatalk © 2003 to 2014 Punaweb Go To Top Of Page