Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii."
Can anyone explain to me why the center of the hurricane is way south of our island and it's calm and lovely waking up here on this Tuesday morning in Puna.
While the islands north of us are experiencing high winds at this same time that are said to be caused by this same hurricane?
Getting some gusts now in Kurtistown at 8:30 am
(08-08-2023, 04:42 PM)Or1on Wrote: Can anyone explain to me why the center of the hurricane is way south of our island and it's calm and lovely waking up here on this Tuesday morning in Puna.
While the islands north of us are experiencing high winds at this same time that are said to be caused by this same hurricane?

From an earlier post..

As to wind's interaction with the islands, it is interesting to note how, again, on windy.com, we see the wind, graphically, altered by its interaction with the island as the current storm passes to our south.

Here is a screenshot of the windy.com site from mid day on the 8th, clearly showing the impacts of each island on the incoming wind..

[Image: windy-2023-08-08.jpg]

I particularly like how the different islands effects the wind.. with the bigger/taller the landmass the greater the lessoning of the wind's impacts, and larger the windward side buffer zone created. In areas where the wind is funneled it's greater, and in places that are right in the middle of the Maunas, like Hilo, there isn't any wind at all.
with the bigger/taller the landmass the greater the lessoning of the wind's impacts,

Haleakala & West Maui Mountains “lessening of the winds” in Lahaina
https://twitter.com/edrabbit/status/1689075245708460032?s=46&t=4TlBfPH66JMG_Q6_VsFtJA
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I'm having some difficulty relating the recent posts to hurricanes or tropical storms that directly impact Hawaii. In this case, there's a large difference in pressure between the high north of us and the low south of us. That generates winds flowing from high to low. But if you look at the isobars at lower levels, the gradient is higher over the northern islands compared to the Big Island, so of course winds are higher there.

You can show all the wind models and observations you can think of, but it's the pressure difference that drives the winds and Hilo is not in the middle of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea no matter how you twist things.

And yes, the Big Island mountains do affect winds and the weather, I don't believe anyone has said otherwise. It's why the Kona side is so dry.
(08-09-2023, 08:05 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Haleakala & West Maui Mountains “lessening of the winds” in Lahaina

Still carrying Tom's water, eh Edge? 

If you ever take a break maybe you could learn how to read a map.
It seems MyManao's only way to debate is to use logical fallacies. In this case, it's another straw man. If only there was a way to debate logically and with respect.
Looking at Windy seems to show fairly low wind speeds on Maui on the leeward side but people are jumping into the ocean to escape a raging fire.

The NWS website is showing much higher winds. I'm thinking that actual observations are more accurate than a computer model.
"If you ever take a break maybe you could learn how to read a map."

Surprisingly, my 14-year-old grandson said to me when he saw the imbedded windy.com map:

"Grams, this map is screwy."

How's that? I retorted.

"Well, the legend shows the same color for winds at zero knots as it does for winds at 60 knots."

Interesting observation I reply.

More shocked that my 14-year-old grandson knows what a map legend is in the first place over what the map actually says!
Keep an eye out for Fernanda:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic...shtml?cone