Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quality Used Vehicle Purchase
Aloha, I'm looking to buy a used vehicle soon. 
I am wondering if anyone's willing to share their thoughts on the car dealership's in Hilo. I have financing through my credit union, so no in house financing needed.
The trustworthy dealerships, and the one's that I should beware of. 
I'M LOOKING FOR PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCES AT HILO DEALERSHIPS.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Unless things have changed dramatically in the last 12 years, my advice is to avoid all the car dealerships in Hilo.

If you INSIST on going this route, my recommendation would be to present yourself as if shopping for a vehicle AND financing. Their modus operandi is to screw customers on both, and if they think they can get you on the financing, you have a better chance at getting them closer to a fair value on the vehicle. They will try to put you into their "how much per month" box while giving concessions on price and act like they are doing you a favor. Get them to put the vehicle price in writing, and then go outside and "have a smoke" or "talk to the (whoever... wife, brother, etc)" and then come back and proceed with the purchase and give THEM the bait-and-switch, you've decided not to use their financing but will purchase the vehicle at the agreed upon price by bringing cash to the sale via outside financing.

If you go in there like you don't need their financing they won't negotiate fairly on the price. They "need" to screw you and the best you can do is set them up for that before pulling the rug out from under them.

Even then, they may try to renege on the agreed price.
I think your question is a bit vague, in that you don't mention what type of used car you are looking for.

If all you want is an old beater, I'd go with Facebook Market Place or Craigs List.

If you are looking for a newer used car, my first suggestion is to decide on a few different makes and models. And stay with similar vehicles to compare with - don't try comparing the price of a Nissan Sentra to that of a Ford F-350. Stick with like like vehicles. 

Go to the Kelly Blue Book (KBB) Website and put in your desired make and model. KBB will let you "spec" out the car with its color, options, engine size etc. and will give you "suggested" retail pricing based upon mileage and condition. You can then use this as a "range" when shopping at any dealership.

Then go shopping. Once you find a car and if it is in your range, then by all means pay the few extra bucks and run a Car Fax report. 

Also, be calm, cool and collected at every step. Don't get bowled over when the salesperson says "I got 4 other people really interested in this car" - or "I heard the Manager say he was going to bump the price on this car 2 grand tomorrow" or any other high-pressure tactic trying to get you to sign right then and there.

And if you're interested in a very "young" used car, call the car rental companies - Budget, Avis, Enterprise. I've seen some friends get some pretty good deals going that route.

One more thing - depending on what you're looking for - you may want to kick the tires of something brand new. Again, you got to make the deal - on your terms! Not the dealership or a hot to sell a car car salesperson! It's all in the TOTAL DOLLARS over the anticipated lifetime you are desiring the car to have.

And if you MUST have a Toyota, be prepared to pay thru your nose. And have damn good theft insurance!
Quality used car. $13,000-$15,000
Maybe truck, maybe car.
I do not want a new vehicle
I'm looking for peoples experience with the dealerships in town. Good or bad.
Thank you.

(05-18-2024, 04:03 AM)terracore Wrote: Unless things have changed dramatically in the last 12 years, my advice is to avoid all the car dealerships in Hilo.

If you INSIST on going this route, my recommendation would be to present yourself as if shopping for a vehicle AND financing.  Their modus operandi is to screw customers on both, and if they think they can get you on the financing, you have a better chance at getting them closer to a fair value on the vehicle.  They will try to put you into their "how much per month" box while giving concessions on price and act like they are doing you a favor.  Get them to put the vehicle price in writing, and then go outside and "have a smoke" or "talk to the (whoever... wife, brother, etc)" and then come back and proceed with the purchase and give THEM the bait-and-switch, you've decided not to use their financing but will purchase the vehicle at the agreed upon price by bringing cash to the sale via outside financing.

If you go in there like you don't need their financing they won't negotiate fairly on the price.  They "need" to screw you and the best you can do is set them up for that before pulling the rug out from under them.

Even then, they may try to renege on the agreed price.
Oh joy. Can't wait to go car shopping!
Thank you for your opinion.
"Oh joy. Can't wait to go car shopping!"

I can't really offer you any opinion on the local car dealerships in Hilo, other than to more or less suggest you do your own research and satisfy yourself as to a good deal.

But for fun, have you ever heard of the Dear Abby letter about a used car dealer?

Enjoy!

Dear Abby:

I am a crack dealer in New Jersey who has recently been diagnosed as a carrier of the HIV virus. My parents live in a suburb of Philadelphia and one of my sisters, who lives in Bensenville, is married to a transvestite, and is a hooker.

My father and mother have recently been arrested for growing and selling marijuana and are currently dependent on my other two sisters, who are also prostitutes in Jersey City.

I have two brothers. One is currently serving a non-parole life sentence in Attica for murder of a teenage boy in 2014. The other brother is currently being held in the Wellington Remand Center on charges of sexual misconduct with his three children.

I have recently become engaged to marry a former Thai prostitute who lives in the Bronx and is still a part time "working girl" in a brothel.

Her time there is limited as we hope to open our own brothel with her as the working manager. I am hoping my two sisters would be interested in joining our team. Although I would prefer them not to prostitute themselves, it would get them off the street, and hopefully, the heroin habits.

All thing considered, my main problem is this: I love my fiancée and look forward to bringing her into the family and I certainly want to be totally honest with her.

So, Abby, my question is should I tell her about my cousin who is a used car dealer?

Signed,

Worried About My Reputation
I used to go to Orchid Isle and they were OK as long as you had a previous relationship with them (i.e., through work). The latest company I've used is Big Island Motors. The salesperson I dealt with was Jonathan and I have no complaints. I can't guarantee you'll have the same experience though.

Personally, I would spend a day in Hilo visiting all the dealers you can and not tell any of them you have the cash to buy a car. Get them to name a price, get it in writing, and then tell them how you'll pay.
I learned the trick years ago.  By selling cars to dealers and seeing the turnaround I've found a fairly consistent markup by dealers.  Example, I sold a Frontier with low miles for $25,000 to the Mazda dealer.  They had it on the lot in 2 days later for 30,000.  I've seen that with other cars in the past.  Roughly in that range. 

I've found, when purchasing, about 3-4,000 under ask is about their limit unless other factors like month end deals where they accept low ball offers.

Also, definitely finance with them to get the deal.  Do not think paying cash gets you a better deal, it does the opposite. 

Most important (I've always done this), when done negotiating on price and before all the final paperwork, I ALWAYS tell them (for example) "$22,500 is my all in price.  Not one penny more, that includes tax, title and whatever charges you come up with."  I am willing to walk if they give me the final invoice to sign if it is $22,501. 

I am very polite, but very firm.  I always ask (make sure) there is no penalty for early payoff of the loan.  I pay the loan in full after the first payment.
I had a good experience at Big Island motors buying a new car for the very first time last year.

For a used car, you can probably get more for your money via Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. I'd be hesitant to buy a car previously used as a rental.
"...share their thoughts on the car dealership's in Hilo..."
------------
I have dealership experience, having worked at two dealerships in Hilo...they are all crooks. They have the attitude that they can screw you over because they are the only game on the island.
I bought a car from Hertz Car Sales on Oahu They were selling them at about 25,000 miles and 2 years old, so it still had 1 year left on the factory warranty. Came with all of the service records and they disclosed all of the damage. It was minor and they had a painless dent repair guy come and fixed all of the door dings and minor dents. Touched up the paint and it was detailed inside and out.

I was working TDY at HNL. Their sales lot is on Sand Island next to the airport.

They drove it to the port and arranged shipping on Young Brothers.

Drove it for about 10 years with only a couple of minor problems.

It looks like they put 50,000 on them now. Here's a bunch of Escapes in Kona.

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/used-cars-for-sale.htm?geoZip=96778&geoRadius=500&model=Escape