Punaweb Forum
A question about solar panels - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: A question about solar panels (/showthread.php?tid=10281)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

A question about solar panels - GuyinHPP - 04-16-2014

I wanted to get some input from people on Punaweb regarding solar panels.

I understand there a few different ways that you can have them installed:

1. You can lease them from a company by signing a contract and having the company manage your electricity. (Like Sunrun). They tell me they can lower my electricity bill by selling back whatever I don't use. I am rather skeptical about this option. Is anyone out there using solar this way? If so, how do you like it.

2. You can buy the panels outright and have them supplement your electricity. I am much more vague on this option. How many panels would you need for an average size home? Is electricity stored in batteries if you are not using much? How does the system know when to use solar power and when to use regular electric from the power company. Does it automatically kick over when you hit a certain usage level?

Anyway, any input anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated

RE: A question about solar panels - d96778 - 04-16-2014

We elected to purchase our system outright and it is grid tied. The rep. from the company we went with came to the house & looked at our power bill & figured out how many panels we would need to provide sufficient power to meet our needs over the year.

All the power our system produces goes back through the grid to the power co. as a credit to our account. We use the power supplied by the power co. as you normally would. The power we produce offsets the power we use. Any excess power we produce goes into our reserve on our account with the power co. This reserve is used during low sunlight days or excessive power usage by us. Any reserve you still have at the end of one year won't be rolled over to the next year, so it's important to try to figure out your usage for a year as closely as possible.

We installed our system last Dec. & went online the 1st of Jan. this year, & our power bills have not gone over the minimum charge the power co. charges...Approx. $20/ mo., with more reserve being added to our account each month, because of the increased sunlight this time of the year.

Our system consists of 13 290 watt panels, and there are no batteries to have to maintain.

Hopefully, this answers some of your questions. If you'd like to discuss this any further, let us know.

Dee

RE: A question about solar panels - Big_Island - 04-17-2014

Call the Solarman. I've found he will beat just about any company's price. Been doing business here in Puna for over 2o years. If you have a Electric bill he can evaluate your solar needs.

Call Paul Moore @ 982-5708

RE: A question about solar panels - 4antares - 04-17-2014

You can also go totally off grid with battery backup. No electric bills ever. Helco is freaking out about grid tie systems, claiming their infrastructure can not handle all the electricity being dumped back into their system so they are doing everything they can to discourage grid tie, including exorbitant fees and denial of service. While their infrastructure is undeniably inadequate it is highly likely that their real concern is loss of revenue.
Also worth considering is the fact that grid tie only works when the grid is functioning. On those dark, stormy nights when the albezia are falling and taking out power lines if you are relying on grid tie you are out of luck.

life is short. enjoy it

RE: A question about solar panels - Bullwinkle - 04-17-2014

by including a stand by generator the size of the battery bank can be kept smallish 5-7 kw or so may do it For my needs 10kw of storage would be overkill

Its the 3-5 year battery replacement cycle that bites - 10 years at best with proper and fussy care .... Ive also seen renters or house guests destroy batteries in a month or so.

Even though I opted for Helco .... I still keep a honda 2kw for those stormy nights - good addvice

RE: A question about solar panels - bananahead - 04-17-2014

Im 100% offgrid, have never paid an electric bill in Hawaii...
I also installed it all myself in 2 days, very basic once you see how it all works.

my setup for my cabin is smaller compared to many larger homes, and I use a propane fridge and stove, so that helps.

one simple key to know is Batteries all have to be the same type and age for best results, so when they start to lose their life, they need to be changed out all at once (my first batch of golfcart batteries lasted 7 years, now I have better ones). You can add more or different types of panels later, the panels dont have to be all the same.

anyone who doesnt take advantage of the sun here in Hawaii is wasting big $$, as most of you know, we have the highest electricity rates in the country. I can never figure out why anyone building a new home now doesnt just put in solar, but then again I say that about those stupid oldschool water heaters too .... get rid of that $$ wasting waterheating tank and get the on demand heaters that come on and heat the water instantly when you turn on the hot water.. ie a Paloma
aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

RE: A question about solar panels - punafish - 04-17-2014

I have a Bosch on-demand for my upstairs shower. Rinnai and Noritsu are considered the most efficient on-demand heaters in Japan. In fact, just brought back an on-demand Noritsu (from Japan) for my downstairs shower. The unit only cost 23,000 yen (that's $230 at the current exchange rate). Our neighbor installed the same model (also from Japan) a few months ago and raves about the efficiency. He still hasn't replaced his first 5 gallon propane tank.

RE: A question about solar panels - Delta9r - 04-17-2014

I'm with bananahead on this one. Never have had to pay an electricity bill here in Puna, and a stand alone system just makes sense as well as saves dollars.
As technology advances the price of PV panels has fallen quite a bit, and you can find panels costing roughly $1 per watt. If you can afford it, AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) batteries are the way to go as this type handles cycling (draining & charging) better than the lead-acid type, and AGM batteries last longer.

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."

RE: A question about solar panels - HPPGuy - 04-17-2014

Thanks everyone, there is a lot to mull over here but a good start! I don't think going totally off the grid with solar would be a good option for us. We have visitors frequently and I would just feel better having regular electricity in additional to solar, just in case.

I think I am going to call Solarman as Big_Island suggested and see what he suggests and start from there.

thanks again!!

RE: A question about solar panels - Opihikaobob - 04-17-2014

I have been off the grid since I built my home in 91. I have learned alot about solar since then and I have learned to appreciate Gexpro in Hilo just down from Toyota (sameside) look for sign.
Scott will help you with all your concerns regarding solar and they sell all the things you will need except batteries, and for example a 230 watt 24 v panel is (parts made in USA, assembled in China) is around $350, all top of the line stuff (Outback, Mid Night Solar) and much more.