Punaweb Forum
Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Puna Politics (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot (/showthread.php?tid=14040)

Pages: 1 2

Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - opihikao - 07-24-2014

Please. [Big Grin]

Mr. Rice fought hard for all people of Hawai'i to vote in OHA elections (Rice vs. Cayetano, filed 1996). Exercise your right, as OHA affects all communities in our State.

There are five (5) Trustee seats open.

Mahalo!

P.S. We can also vote for Maui, Oahu, Kaua'i, and At Large seats; not just our island.

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - missydog1 - 07-24-2014

I would truly appreciate your take on the candidates. I know that we all have the right to vote, but I try not to vote in a race where I don't know the skinny. I don't want to accidentally vote against the interests of people who know more than I do about it.

I appreciate the call to vote though.
So who stands for what and who has come through and who has not? How do I find out?

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - opihikao - 07-24-2014

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

I would truly appreciate your take on the candidates. I know that we all have the right to vote, but I try not to vote in a race where I don't know the skinny. I don't want to accidentally vote against the interests of people who know more than I do about it.

I appreciate the call to vote though.
So who stands for what and who has come through and who has not? How do I find out?

Here is a good basic take on what the OHA candidates stand for, on certain issues:

http://www.oha.org/primaryelection2014/

Personally, (thanks for asking, but I'm just one vote) I want OHA to clean house from top to bottom and return to the initial intent of OHA.

I'm only voting for one person, Mililani Trask. The rest of the candidates are either sitting Trustees, or their staff, for the most part, with a few thrown in by other Trustee(s) who are "retiring".

It will be very interesting to see as OHA deals with issues like nation building/reinstating (whatever they're calling it today), and Kakaako development, lease for the TNT on Mauna Kea, etc.

There is a movement, undercurrent, or gathering of kanaka maoli who would like to see OHA abolished, along with DHHL.

We shall see.

JMO.

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - missydog1 - 07-24-2014

Very interesting. Great, thanks for this, now I know where to come looking for a link when I get some time to read. Yes, yours is one vote, but your voice is strong and you have thought much on the topic, which I value hearing.

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - pahoated - 07-26-2014

quote:
Originally posted by opihikao
There is a movement, undercurrent, or gathering of kanaka maoli who would like to see OHA abolished, along with DHHL.

It depends on which faction of kanaka maoli. Let us not forget, that even before Captain Crook, the kanaka maoli of these islands were at constant war, except for the months of Lono.

Also, within the kanaka maoli, there are still ali'i, high priests and priestesses, kahuna, and the maka'aina'na. When kanaka maoli talk about the culture, they aren't talking about the time when the ancient ways were outlawed by the haoli, and replaced with Christianity. Under the ancient culture, the maka'aina'na had no land, no property, no rights. They could be executed on the spot for breaking the kapu. Also, only the ali'i and kahuna ascended to the heavens from Mauna Kea. The maka'aina'na are all living their eternal second life in the bowels of Pele, unless a high priest could arrange for an 'alala to carry the spirit of the commoner to the peak of Mauna Kea to ascend to the heavens.

The 'alala has been extinct in the wild for decades now. The high priestess of Pele curse on all the kanaka maoli has never been lifted and the end of the curse is the disappearance of all the kanaka maoli. Without 'alala, they spend eternity in the deep pits of this planet.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - missydog1 - 07-26-2014

"Under the ancient culture, the maka'aina'na had no land, no property, no rights. They could be executed on the spot for breaking the kapu."

Can we really say anything about whether a culture can home rule peacefully by looking that far back? In the late 18th century in Europe, condemned men were still hanged, drawn and quartered. They were torn limb to limb by wild horses. They were put in spiked barrels and dragged by horses through the streets.

During the French Revolution, so many people were summarily executed with a farce of a trial that the government had to dispense with individual style execution and bring in the guillotine to turn execution into an assembly line process.

I don't feel at all comfortable when people of European descent point to that time period and say the Hawaiians were warlike and didn't have an equitable society for non-aristocrats, because "we" were no better at all.

We had only recently graduated from burning people at the stake and boiling them in oil. Heads and bodies of rebels and criminals were still put on public display, and an execution was still viewed as a public entertainment. (Reread "Tale of Two Cities" for example.)

The Hawaiian Kingdom's evolution was stopped in its tracks in the late 19th century, so no one can say for sure what it would be like in the 21st century, but I think it's safe to say that things would have evolved here just as much or more as "Western" Civilization has since the time of the "Enlightenment."

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - opihikao - 07-26-2014

Mahalo for the thoughtful comments, Pahoated and Kathy.

It is true, we were barbaric in ancient times. Alas, we try to move forward into a more civilized culture, with the knowledge gained from before.

"I could not turn back the time for political change, but there is still time to save our heritage. You must remember, never to cease to act because you fear you will fail."

Queen Liliuokalani

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - missydog1 - 07-26-2014

That quote of the Queen's is so simple yet so inspiring to me.

I should have noted that by the time of the Overthrow, the Hawaiian Kingdom was not barbaric in any sense. I didn't only because I assume we are all aware of how advanced the Court was at the time, how favorably it compared with European and American seats of government.

I noticed last night that there are various videos online of Mi'ilani Trask speaking, so that's something to check out.

Opihikao, I'm wondering, you said OHA should clean house but yet you can find only one candidate worth voting for in the five seats. How can it clean house if there isn't fresh blood competing for the Trustee seats?

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - opihikao - 07-26-2014

KathyH asked: Opihikao, I'm wondering, you said OHA should clean house but yet you can find only one candidate worth voting for in the five seats. How can it clean house if there isn't fresh blood competing for the Trustee seats?

Just from my personal knowledge, which weighs on my decision(s): Several of the candidates are placed by other sitting Trustees, some of which are still serving, one who is "retiring". None have a record or resume that is (IMO) considered impressive. Five (5) seats open. Oahu and Maui have sitting Trustees who are running again with little competition. Majority rules, etc., given the western protocol which OHA operates under.

In the face of great adversity with the "roll call", the gutted Akaka Bill, nation building/reinstating, etc., there are few who can legally argue any position. Not only on a national level ("the occupier"), but on an international level. This will be the first course of business for the new board.

The second big issue is the settlement OHA received in the Kaka'ako deal. We (beneficiaries) apparently "lost" over $225 million dollars in value. In fact, as I understand it, allegedly, supposedly, potentially, some sitting Trustees signed the bloody document without even reading the entire settlement. Somewhat like the recinding of Kamana'o Crabbe, CEO's, letter to John Kerry. Unanimously recinded without reading the actual letter. WTH? Who signs anything without reading the document?

The simple google search of this debacle is here (link below), provides a plethora of articles and opinions on this subject alone:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kamana'o+crabbe+letter&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7NDKA_enUS557&gws_rd=ssl

For the record, the two (2) Trustees who recinded their recinding of the CEO's letter (sounds ridiculous, right?) was addressed to Chairman, Colette Machado. It never went to John Kerry. Thus, no response to the letter sent by Kamana'o Crabbe will ever be issued. Those questions are vital to the argument of "reistating of a nation", and the OHA push is for "tribe" status at the present time.

http://www.oha.org/news/oha-submits-comments-support-federal-rulemaking-process-could-establish-government-government

There are many videos of Mililani Trask over the course of several decades. Some despise her, some adore her, but all respect her being a warrior for human rights. Not just kanaka maoli, but all people. Her reputation varies, however, this is not a popularity contest, this is serious business in very trying times.

Her sister was "more scary" (Haunani K.) as a Professor at the UH. OMG. Fierce woman.

If we have to utilize OHA as a State entity to benefit all of our communities, personally, I want a warrior to help "clean house" and return OHA back to working for the people. Frankly, I wish Moanikeala Akaka would run when Bob Lindsay retires (our island's OHA Trustee). She would be perfect for the job at hand.

Thanks again for asking. This is not just about us Hawaiians, this is about our public lands, public owned resources, and public rights. OHA has more money than the State of Hawai'i. They have wasted so much, time to take back control of our USA given entity.

I am of the mind to work with whatever dictates a better future for my keiki and mo'opuna.

JMO.

RE: Don't Forget to Vote the OHA Ballot - opihikao - 07-28-2014

FYI: (*Update - More at link)

HONOLULU (July 24, 2014) – Trustees for the Office of Hawaiian Affairs announced today that they have extended the timetable for the nation-building process they previously committed to facilitate.

The six-month extension is expected to allow OHA more time to educate the public about a process meant to empower Native Hawaiians to participate in building a governing entity.

Under the new timetable approved by OHA’s Board of Trustees, voters who are registered on the Official Roll of Native Hawaiians will elect delegates in January 2015 to represent them at a governance convention in April. The new timeline also calls for Hawaiians on the official roll to vote by July 2015 in a referendum to approve or disapprove the draft governing document, which would determine the next steps in the process.

But in extending the timeline, the Board of Trustees also remained steadfast in its original position that being registered on the Official Roll of Native Hawaiians is the only way to qualify to participate in this particular nation-building process.

“We believe that this new timetable helps to position us to build a strong sovereign governing entity that will be embraced by all of our people,” said OHA Chairperson Colette Machado. “It is now time to work together to be sure that the contemporary Native Hawaiian governing entity is rooted in our ancestral wisdom.”

http://www.oha.org/news/oha-trustees-extend-nation-building-timeline

*Note: There will be a new Board of Trustees at the end of this extension. Most of the candidates running do not support this position. JMO.