Punaweb Forum
Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats (/showthread.php?tid=23327)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - HiloJulie - 05-07-2024

(05-07-2024, 09:36 PM)Wao nahele wahine Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 09:28 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: Neither have I. Which I consider to be a blessing.

Funny...starting to consider the same thing about you.

Are we done now with the cat fight?

That’s up to you. You started it. 

Now, back to the topic:

As I mentioned earlier, I don’t understand why the Nene, which has survived 500,000 years, which is one of only 5 indignant species in this State, that was hunted by man and killed by invasive species down to the point that less than 50 survived is not considered even more “sacred” than a fricken mountain top is beyond comprehension.
[/quote]

LOL!  Go read back through your comments to me and see who started it.  LOL!  Evidently there are other things beyond your comprehension.
[/quote]

Sorry Ms Wao. Arguing with one troll named ‘elepaio is enough. 

I really wish you could contribute something to the discussion of feral cats and Nene deaths instead of being the “daytime” version of ‘elepaio.

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Wao nahele wahine - 05-07-2024

[/quote]

I really wish you could contribute something to the discussion of feral cats and Nene deaths instead of being the “daytime” version of ‘elepaio.
[/quote]

I have....are you not reading every post in this thread?  My last few posts are me imitating you, not very pleasant, is it?

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - HiloJulie - 05-07-2024

(05-07-2024, 09:49 PM)Wao nahele wahine Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 09:43 PM)HiloJulie Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 09:36 PM)Wao nahele wahine Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 09:28 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: Neither have I. Which I consider to be a blessing.

Funny...starting to consider the same thing about you.

Are we done now with the cat fight?

That’s up to you. You started it. 

Now, back to the topic:

As I mentioned earlier, I don’t understand why the Nene, which has survived 500,000 years, which is one of only 5 indignant species in this State, that was hunted by man and killed by invasive species down to the point that less than 50 survived is not considered even more “sacred” than a fricken mountain top is beyond comprehension.

LOL!  Go read back through your comments to me and see who started it.  LOL!  Evidently there are other things beyond your comprehension.

I have....are you not reading every post in this thread?
[/quote]

Yes I have. Your 2 posts on the subject matter were informative.

[/quote]

I have....are you not reading every post in this thread?  My last few posts are me imitating you, not very pleasant, is it?
[/quote]

Actually your last few posts are a perfect imitation of ‘elipiao. 

But then as the old saying goes, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!”

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Wao nahele wahine - 05-07-2024

[/quote]

Actually your last few posts are a perfect imitation of ‘elipiao. 

But then as the old saying goes, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!”
[/quote]

I am channeling you.

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - 'elepaio - 05-08-2024

Wheres all these cats more than human folks? Are they off grid and on they sustainable farms ? Never go to town ? Shoots .. sometimes i see same folks 3x a day ..in different locations.

Be . ready im about to edit

O.k. i added folks ..but just once and it took me a while

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - HiloJulie - 05-08-2024

elepaio pid=' dateline=\'1715167392' Wrote:Wheres all these cats more than human folks? Are they off grid and on they sustainable farms ?  Never go to town ? Shoots .. sometimes i see same folks 3x a day ..in different locations.

Be  . ready im about to edit

O.k. i added folks ..but just once and it took me a while

Dear Mr. ‘elipaio,

With respect to your questions, I would like to suggest that you scroll back a few pages where I posted five (5) links to various sources that have studied the feral cat population here in Hawaii for decades. 

While each link discusses various aspects of the destructive nature feral cats wreak on the environment as well as other species, each of the five (5) links that I posted all agree on the estimated number of feral cats here in Hawaii. 

Further, if your quest for information requires additional information and research, I encourage you, when your time permits to simply type into your Google search bar “estimated feral cats in Hawaii” which should provide you with more sources that can confirm and support the original five (5) posts I previously discussed. 

I personally wish to thank you for your continued interest in this vastly important subject of the destructive nature feral cats bring to our precious island and State and I look forward to providing you any additional information you may need outside of the original five (5) sources I previously posted or the results you may obtain from a Google search. 

I hope my response to you is satisfactory to your discerning need for good quality information based upon facts and reality and in no way take my response here to be an attack on you personally or in any way being directed at your seemingly vast intelligence.

It has been a pleasure assisting you!

Julie

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Wao nahele wahine - 05-08-2024

I have not seen the necropsy report posted anywhere yet, so I sent an email to Mr. Dennison requesting a link or access to the report.

Here's another link to some feral cat information:

https://www.felineresearch.org/fast-facts-about-feral-cats

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - HiloJulie - 05-08-2024

(05-08-2024, 02:29 PM)Wao nahele wahine Wrote: I have not seen the necropsy report posted anywhere yet, so I sent an email to Mr. Dennison requesting a link or access to the report.

Here's another link to some feral cat information:

https://www.felineresearch.org/fast-facts-about-feral-cats

Dear Ms. Wao,

I wish to personally thank you for your continued interest in this invasive feral cat problem! Last Friday evening, I also drafted and sent an email requesting a copy or link to the necropsy report, however as of this morning I have not received a reply. 

Hopefully, your email coupled with the email I sent along with any other concerned people reading this to send an email requesting a copy or link to view the necropsy report for the felled Nene gosling would be greatly appreciated. I have reposted the link to the DNLR news release that has Mr. Dennison’s contact information on the bottom.

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/dlnr-news-release-the-sad-story-of-a-nene-gosling-prompts-action-in-hilo-park-may-1-2024/

Again, thank you so very much Ms. Wao for your concerns regarding one of the most invasive animal species that has proven to be so very destructive to the environment and wildlife, especially here in the fragile ecosystem of Hawaii.

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Obie - 05-08-2024

https://www.usgs.gov/centers/nwhc/science/toxoplasmosis

Looks like it could take awhile if they have to grow it in a lab to confirm it. This is the lab the bird was sent to.

How do you detect it?

Determining whether toxoplasmosis is the cause of death requires a necropsy and microscopic examination of tissues (typically heart, brain, lung, or spleen) for the parasite in the laboratory. Attempts can also be made to grow the parasite from tissue samples in the laboratory. For microscopic examination, tissues must be preserved in 10% neutral buffered formalin. For culture of the parasite, tissues must be submitted fresh to the laboratory.

The last sentence in the article:
How do you manage it?

In Hawaii and other Pacific islands, eliminate cats from the habitat, and you eliminate toxoplasmosis.

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - HiloJulie - 05-09-2024

Well golly gee!

Many many thanks to Mr. Dan Dennison from the DNLR for coming through and emailing the final report on the cause of death of the Nene Gosling. 

As was expected, the report concludes:

“Final diagnosis: Accession 1-Toxoplasmosis.”

[attachment=240]