Punaweb Forum
HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH (/showthread.php?tid=16334)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - opihikao - 08-30-2015

Well, Kimo, your Tutu was right. Sure wish others had that luxury of Kupuna teachings. [Smile] Mahalo.

FYI: (*Snipped - More at link)

http://khon2.com/2015/08/25/hurricane-ignacio-tropical-storm-watch-for-maui-county-and-hawaii-island-discontinued/

At 5:00 p.m., the eye of Hurricane Ignacio was located by U.S. Air Force reconnaissance aircraft (Hurricane Hunters) about 355 miles from Hilo.

Ignacio is moving toward the northwest near 12 mph and this motion is expected to continue for the next couple of days.

On the current forecast track, the center of Ignacio will pass approximately 200 miles northeast of Hawaii Island and Maui Monday and Tuesday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 115 mph with higher gusts. Ignacio is a Category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

Rapid weakening is expected and Ignacio may become a tropical storm by Tuesday.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 30 miles from the center and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 160 miles.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 961 mb.

Mahalo ke Akua.

JMO.

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - Punatic007 - 08-30-2015

It's not wise to assume the path of a hurricane, best to be prepared regardless of media updates till it's past. Just like Pele, hurricanes have a mind of their own and are unpredictable.

A few years back we had one, sorry don't remember the given name, that stalled off the SE coast of the Big Island, it stalled for days, moved a little, then stalled again.

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - dmbwest - 08-30-2015

Ted >>> "Still going to be some high waves hitting the northeast shore. There were white breaking waves hitting the Hilo bay jetty today. Probably some spectacular scenes down on the beach, at a safe distance"

What time was this ? What part of the Jetty ? Do you know there are always breaking waves hitting the jetty ? Were you on the Jetty but did not see the beaches ? Did you even see them yourself ?

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - TomK - 08-30-2015

"And look at me, picking on you at every chance I get, whenever you go off like that. Shame eh? Well most of the time it's at me and you've already written me off as crazy so what the heck. But for reals brah, why you gotta be so unkind?"

Wind your neck in, dakine. When you apologize for accusing someone of masturbating while posting perhaps I might think differently about your posting behavior. So, having written that, what is it about Opihikaobob's post about the hurricanes you wish to defend? Which hurricane was he referring to 1000 miles east of Kona, and what interpretation was he using when claiming Ignacio was moving more westward when in fact it had taken a much more northerly track? The thread is, after all, about the hurricanes. Do you think the nonsense opihikaobob posts shouldn't be countered? Given how you are so quick to become personal in your posts, I'm really curious to read your answer.

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - Laughing_girl - 08-31-2015

For any wanting a informative discussion with out the drama, check out "puna weather" on face book. Harry Durgin and a couple of others do a very good job of disseminating the information, and providing valuable insight.

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 08-31-2015

I have to say, those 20-30 mph wind gusts off the ocean this morning feel pretty good after so many weeks of hot, almost windless weather.
I never would have thought this time last week that I'd be welcoming the effects of Ignacio. Warm breezes, keep 'em coming. As long as they stay under 35 mph...

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - kimo wires - 08-31-2015

5 days ago NHC was predicting a direct hit.
At 5 days there's an uncertainty of 350 miles.
Today the storm is around 350 miles away.
Things that make you go Hummmm.

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - punaticbychoice - 08-31-2015

I'm just glad that we have a weather observation and prediction services that can provide the up to date information. And it is about weather, so it is subject to moment to moment change.
Just the way it is, even with the modern technologies.
I just hope all these storm systems miss us, just don't wish to think about being in the middle of the Pacific trying to recover from a direct hit on the Islands.

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - Rob Tucker - 08-31-2015

From the L.A. Times:

Three powerful Pacific hurricanes churning at the same time make weather history

For a time over the weekend, three powerful Category 4 hurricanes churned in the central and eastern Pacific basins at the same time, an event that is believed a meteorological first in the ocean region and another sign that the forces of El Niño are stirring up weather anomalies — and the jitters in Hawaii.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-three-hurricane-record-20150831-story.html

RE: HURRICANES IGNACIO AND JIMENA TRACKING NORTH - PunaMauka2 - 08-31-2015

Some pleasant thunder rolling across the sky up mauka the past hour or so. Few fat drops of rain and zero wind.