Punaweb Forum
Restrictions to continue! - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Restrictions to continue! (/showthread.php?tid=22475)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Restrictions to continue! - Durian Fiend - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 07:45 AM)kalianna Wrote: I donʻt mind the masks.  Itʻs not a big deal to me.  Itʻs the crowd restrictions.  No other state has such crowd restrictions and even Honolulu has opened up some.  I find it ridiculous that I canʻt sit down and eat a sandwich outside at Island Naturals or Makuu Market while people can eat and drink inside restaurants.
I agree! 

Could it be that these examples are the result of individual business decisions rather than an adherence to restrictions?

With Island Naturals, perhaps they're making just as much or more money without the hot bar.   

Makuu attendance is clearly way off though. Bringing back outdoor dining would certainly help there.

Regarding the governmental "changing of goalposts", in many cases this is really an indication of a flexible approach determined by viral spread as measured by infections and hospitalizations.   The Delta variant and waning immunity weren't originally anticipated.
As a result of surging infections, some places on mainland are bringing back mask mandates.  Santa Cruz, for example.  I don't believe Oregon or Washington ever dropped them.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - kander - 11-22-2021

"I dont mind the masks". Well then you should not mind the rest of whats going on because none of it makes sense. If you can go into a restaurant and eat without a mask around a bunch of people, breathing their air, but not outside with over x amount of people then do masks really work? nah. its a control freak game.

As I mentioned before, even the CDC says that masks may not be effective and might give the wearer a false sense of security regarding protection. Just look at how many times the elected reps have been caught violating the rules which they themselves make. How many times they hurriedly put the stupid masks on when they realize the cameras are rolling. Lol its joke. Rules for thee, none for me.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 11-22-2021

If you can go into a restaurant and eat without a mask around a bunch of people

When you enter a restaurant you wear a mask until seated.  Restaurants are operating at reduced capacity, so not every table is filled, generally you are 6-10 feet away from anyone else not in your group. 
If they dropped the mandates and diners sat 2 feet apart like in pre-COVID times, then what you said about inconsistent mandates would make sense.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - kalakoa - 11-22-2021

Safe Travels is costing $3M/month, but neither Oahu nor the Big Island can issue building permits in a timely fashion... is tourism worth more than construction jobs or housing?

Note also that the Big Island has more restrictions because our Mayor won't do anything that seems like a vaccine mandate. Is this based on science or his personal beliefs?

RE: Restrictions to continue! - Wao nahele kane - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 06:10 PM)kalakoa Wrote: Safe Travels is costing $3M/month, but neither Oahu nor the Big Island can issue building permits in a timely fashion... is tourism worth more than construction jobs or housing?

Note also that the Big Island has more restrictions because our Mayor won't do anything that seems like a vaccine mandate. Is this based on science or his personal beliefs?

Safe travels is likely the only program that has a meaningful effect on the pandemic in Hawaii, masks and or lockdowns certainly don't offer any legit safeguards. Personally, I think Safe Travels Hawaii should be permanent and broadened to cover influenza also. Keep most all that creeping crud back on the mainland, where it belongs. 

Now Roth is supposed order a redundant mandate? Ige already issued a vaccine mandate order that covers not only state but also all county employees. Are you looking for the first general populace mandate in the USA and expecting Roth to issue it? If so, GFL on that plane of insanity.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - kalakoa - 11-22-2021

Adopting a "Safe Access" program would allow for lesser restrictions. Mitch apparently won't participate.

If Safe Travels really works, then we don't need mask mandates or capacity limits, and it's $100K/day well-spent (where does that money come from?)

If these programs need to be permanent, then let's stop screwing around with "temporary" emergency declarations so people can make plans around the new world order.

I'm weary of restrictions, but I'm even more tired of the fantasy that things will go "back to normal" just as soon as we reach the ever-receding goalposts.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - Punaperson - 11-22-2021

Durian Fiend: Could it be that these examples are the result of individual business decisions rather than an adherence to restrictions?
With Island Naturals, perhaps they're making just as much or more money without the hot bar.

I've heard from several people via the coconut wireless that is why the outdoor eating at the Natch has not been brought back. I know that personally, pre-covid, there had been countless times I would try to pick up lunch there, but because the parking lot was full ( with the tables occupied ), I'd have to keep going and find food elsewhere. It's quite a different story now. I used to get lunch there occasionally, now it's frequently.

so people can make plans

In the Steve Martin movie The Spanish Prisoner his character describes his approach to business:
"Always do business as if the person you're doing business with is trying to screw you, because he probably is. And if he's not, you can be pleasantly surprised."

For COVID restrictions you could:
"Always assume COVID restrictions are permanent. And if they're not, you can be pleasantly surprised."

RE: Restrictions to continue! - kander - 11-22-2021

(11-22-2021, 05:23 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: If you can go into a restaurant and eat without a mask around a bunch of people

When you enter a restaurant you wear a mask until seated.  Restaurants are operating at reduced capacity, so not every table is filled, generally you are 6-10 feet away from anyone else not in your group. 
If they dropped the mandates and diners sat 2 feet apart like in pre-COVID times, then what you said about inconsistent mandates would make sense.
Reduced capacity is meaningless in an enclosed room where your breathing each others air. Strangers in many cases sitting just a mere 2 feet apart at the same table with half the overall table capacity. Wearing masks from the outside until your inside must mean the door of the establishment is acting as a magical enchanted barrier for covid. Just like the shutting down beaches idea. Its silly, its random and seems to be based on nothing but stoking fear and it has been working in that respect.

its random and seems to be based on nothing

It's based on average distance coughing and sneezing can spread the virus.  Yes, it can be farther.  But it's a number we work with.